Find
Notify
Tools

Bison-on- Hudson
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ng-Hudson-River.html

I wish I had known, I would have taught Biebs how to hunt with a 45-70 single shot.
Troopers families will be happy now with full stomachs !

Swam the Hudson River ? tough guys ! dancing

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
It is odd how the photos were captioned: " One of the men firing at the animals gets into a heated exchange with officials before another is bundled into a car by deputies "

I'm not sure what the first photo shows but the second photo does not show the hired shooter getting, "bundled into a car by deputies". It shows the LEOs helping the shooter over the guardrail.

They sure like to spin this stuff to make it more exciting.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The news media cannot function without sensationalism

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always remember that the DailyMail has no spell checker or fact checker !!
In an event like that I would strictly limit those who may shoot. No civilians and perhaps three Troopers .Otherwise too much chance of serious problems !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
they are wild and not tame.

Applies to about all farmed Bison, can't handle them like cattle and they have a short temper as well, not much respect for fences either. Don't think I'd want to raise them in a densely populated area.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:

Not that I really disagree with you but I'm wondering how it is you've come to the conclusion that a cop trained in gun fighting tactics against humans is the best tool for dispatching large game. Why don't you think the three hunters with hunting rifles were the correct tool? It's possible 90% of urban law enforcement have never shot a hunting rifle in their life....

Todd

Well said.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree. I am from that area. One year my brother hit a deer near Albany. He had an '06 and had the officer there since it was in city limits. The cop said he would dispatch it. He left his shotgun and used his handgun. 8 bullets into it's shoulder later it either succumbed or my brother finished it I forget which. I do remember the officer was surprised it was still kicking but made a mess of the thing. Shooting animals and training to defend life, etc. not the same thing.

Posts: 193 | Location: Raleigh,NC | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Always remember that the DailyMail has no spell checker or fact checker !!
In an event like that I would strictly limit those who may shoot. No civilians and perhaps three Troopers .Otherwise too much chance of serious problems !!

Not that I really disagree with you but I'm wondering how it is you've come to the conclusion that a cop trained in gun fighting tactics against humans is the best tool for dispatching large game. Why don't you think the three hunters with hunting rifles were the correct tool? It's possible 90% of urban law enforcement have never shot a hunting rifle in their life....

Todd

It's not whose better at dispatching large game - it's all about liability.

The bison got out, swam across the Hudson River (it's probably 300-400 yard across and a good current at that point) and ended up in a heavily suburban area and alongside a major interstate. There was a lot of traffic on the controlled access interstate (Thruway) and it's a miracle there was no pileup when they crossed. The large number of "experts" on site all trying to corral these critters, as well as the helicopter above could not have helped much to calm them. It was only a matter of time before they moved elsewhere, causing additional problems, so the call was made to dispatch them.

The Sheriff on site was "in charge" of the operation. At that point he assumed a fair amount of liability if the animals hurt someone OR if the civilians caused damage or injury during the shoot. The shooters in the picture started firing at the animals and from what I heard they were taking some shots that the Sheriff thought were not "humane". By now it was a media circus and the Sheriff decided that the civilians were done. Because of the dispatch method and location of dispatch the meat was no longer saleable. I imagine the farmer, family and friends will be cooking bison burgers the rest of the summer.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Todd[/QUOTE]

I have trained hundreds of all types of LEOs a true statement and well said. 90% can't shoot worth a shit. It use to be that gun people became Leos now with PC a lot of them never have handled a gun before the academy.

But it is an idea pushed by the anti hunters and anti firearms types to promote only the government should have guns.

It all started in Africa by the Brits that only government personal were qualified to kill game in the parks. Instead of selling the excess off and making huge money on them.

They don't want to promote gun owner ship or hunting.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish I had known, I would have taught Biebs how to hunt with a 45-70 single shot.

I think my 585HE would have been appropriate :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
It is odd how the photos were captioned: " One of the men firing at the animals gets into a heated exchange with officials before another is bundled into a car by deputies "

I'm not sure what the first photo shows but the second photo does not show the hired shooter getting, "bundled into a car by deputies". It shows the LEOs helping the shooter over the guardrail.

They sure like to spin this stuff to make it more exciting.

Yea right! They're helping him over the guardrail alright, and right into the cop car like it said for disobeying the order to quit shooting, LOL!!! Hardly a spin on what happened!