Find
Notify
Tools

Rem. 700 vs Win 70 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
A post below asking how many model 70 owners were hear got me curious. How many of you own both the Winchester model 70 and the Remington model 700? And hears the big question which do you prefer and why? I myself own a 700bdl 30/06 bought back in 1971 . Its well balanced points great and it's accurate. Was thinking maybe on someday purchasing a winchester model 70. Tell me what you guys think.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only one, a VLS in 22-250. My M70's are featherweights so can't compare.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchesters just 'fit' me better.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have been using my Mod 70 for over twenty years of absolutely trouble free use,it has never let me down after all the abuse it has had--slipping sliding tumbling down near vertical hillsides chasing deer in all sorts of weather conditions,highly regarded by me and many others and they just seem more balanced than the Rem`s.

Posts: 87 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 07 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Have had both, prefer the positive safety on the mod. 70. Also like the mod. 70 extractor better than the 700.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose: I own and Hunt with a lot of Remington Rifles from the late 60's vintage through current manufacture. I own a lot of pre-64 Model 70's and Hunt with about 6 of them. The old Model 70 is a safer more reliable Firearm considering all things. It is also better finished and more durable than any vintage Remington 700. But the Remingtons are without any doubt more consistently accurate and are if cared for properly durable and long lived. The Remington 700's of some vintages and designs (80's vintage - ADL's for instance) have some safety concerns in my mind.
I have never been thoroughly happy with any of the many post-64 Model 70's I have owned in the past. Many and varied reasons for this. I do not presently own or want any post-64 Model 70's. I have lots of friends that use them though nowadays and are happy enough with them to keep them. I have shot along side some of these recent manufacture Model 70's and at least the Varmint Models are shooting better.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I own & like both. I think the Rem. a bit more accurate & I like the CRF & saftey on the M70 better. There is nothing wrong w/ the Ruger M77 either, although I prefer the older tang saftey model.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I prefer the 70. I've used both.

It always pissed me off that I would pull the Rem off myshoulder after a hard uphill climb and find that the bolt had worked open and was just hanging there.

I really like the Ruger's safety that has a little divot in the cocking piece that the safety slips into.

Alot of guys like tang safeties, and I like them on shotguns, but I like the Ruger rifle safety the best.

I don't know if one is actually better than the other, but I prefer the Winchester or Ruger actions over the Rem.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I own a Rem Sendero and a Win 70. The Sendero in .300 Win Mag shot .5 MOA out of the box with selected handloads, after just a little trigger fiddling. The Win in .338 Win Mag didn't shoot up to my stds., despite having it glass bedded and test-shot with a mountain of handloads, until it was rebarrelled with a Lothar Walther bbl. My best out of the box experiences came with Sauer 202 and Blaser R93 rifles, though.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I like the M77II safty also. Safer than the M70 but same concept.
I find that the M70 safty is a lot stiffer to disengage to fire.
I've shot, but not hunted with the 700 and don't think the push safety is that safe.
My browning a bolt has push also but is in less of a "catch on" spot.
I find switching through these rifles from season to season can also expose those habitual hand motions.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I own several remington model 700s (22-250, 7mm Rem Mag and 338 win mag)along with a model 70 classic in 30-06. I have a M70 featherweight on order in 270 WSM. I prefer the safety on the M70 to that of the 700. Overall I like the model 70s better BUT only when I can get them to shoot good consistent groups. I have gotten rid of 2 M70 classics because they shot poorly. The Remingtons are lighter and more accurate as they come from the factory. The problem I see with Reminton these days is that they have had quality problems ever since they moved their manufaturing facility down South. I also do not like the new bolt lock knob they have on the rear of the bolt "for safety".

If I were looking for a mountain rifle to hunt in America with, I would buy an older model 700 because of the accuracy and weight. If I wanted a Dangerous Game rifle, I would prefer the CRF of the model 70. They are both good actions. I like all of mine. I am glad that I am not forced to pick just one!

[ 02-02-2003, 15:02: Message edited by: Iron Buck ]

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Andr� Mertens:
My best out of the box experiences came with Sauer 202 and Blaser R93 rifles, though.

No points for you, wrong reply. Winchester or rem, no silly kraut over engineered guns this time [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

My favorite is Winchester

Both brands often requires a few modifications to my mind. I hope that winchester would improve their quality a few nothes. I don't like the new key operated remmy's [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately for Winchester I am a hard-case when it comes to brand loyalty. If I start with something and like it, I seldom look further. I bought a Remington Model 700 ADL 25.06 Rem., and haven't held a Winchester in over twenty years.

Most of the people I know that prefer Winchester seem to absolutely be part of a cult. They might own a dozen Model 70s. Wouldn't consider anything else.

My progression over 40 years has been:

Rifles - Stevens, Remington, then Browning
Pistols - Ruger then Smith & Wesson
Shotguns - Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, then Browning
Scopes - Bushnell, Weaver, Redfield, then Leupold
Golf Clubs - McGreger, Shakespeare, Browning, Ram, then Ping

I don't plan on making any more changes. I'm through breaking clubs too, I swear.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys , one last question in order to unload my chamber on my rem. 700 the safety must go to the off position , i imagine all the new models were modified am i correct? Thanks again Tanoose

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Dave>
posted
For the record I own both and have hunted with both. With that in mind I will recommend that you save your lunch money and buy a Dakota barreled action in whatever caliber suits you. Then have a stock made to fit you and never look back. In the meantime you can buy and sell at pawnshops and gunshows to decide what caliber you need and how long you want the barrel and how much drop you might want on the stock.

The other choice is to get a VZ 24 and build the gun from the ground up. This might be a little cheaper, but will never have the resale of the Dakota.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used both and have found the 700's to be more accurate on average.I have never had a feeding problem with either so controlled round feeding is not an issue.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Huntaholic>
posted
I own LOTS of Remingtons and NONE of them require you to put the safety in the fire position in order to unload! SOME of the older ones did require this and they are the ones that have caused safety problems. I will continue to be a loyal remington user until one lets me down!

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Its an older model bought back in 1971

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
My biggest complaint with the Rem 700s (aside from current quality) is the fact that the 2-position safety does not lock the bolt. Because of this it is prone to catch onto something while hunting and open on it's own, allowing debries into the action and the loss of bullets. I much prefer a 3-position safety.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Mod 700 Remingtons and have been completely satisfied with both, except I wish the bolt locked down when on safe. I have owned Winchesters, but I don't like 3 position safeties. I prefer the tang safeties on the old Rugers, and I have 3.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post deleted.

[ 02-07-2003, 21:08: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a Rem 700 with the old style safety which once slam fired as I was unloading it. I sold the gun. It was very accurate, though. I had a Rem 788 in 22-250 which I had to sell when I was married, in college, and strapped for cash. I really miss that gun.

I currently have two Winchester M70's which I love. The safety and bolt lock are features I really prefer. I also have a Rem 7600 which is a great gun and my favorite for whitetails in cover.

If Remington would go to a better safety along the lines of Winchester I would buy one. So long as they have that 2 position safety I will stay away.

Posts: 30 | Location: central NY | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a late 70's Left Handed BDL in 270 topped with a Leupold 2.5-8X Had the barrel glassed and some trigger work done. The Remington is my second most accurate rifle and is a constant MOA shooter.(My Browning BOSS 7mm-08 A-Bolt is hands down the most accruate rifle I've ever owned or shot)
I also have a LH Model 70 Stainless Classic in 338 also topped with the same Leupold scope. This rifle had the barrel free floated and a trigger job. I know 338's are not known for accuracy, but this one does OK on the 250yd. targets.
I like the safety on the Model 70 along with just the way it fits me. I think the 700 BCL has a smoother action but am not very favorable about it's safety.
To be very honest with you, between the three bolt actions, I like the Browning A-Bolt the best, but do all my local deer hunting using a Savage 99 in 358. Go figure?.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had one Remington and one Savage at one time. Both were total POS. I think Remington forgot what quality was, who knows.

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I'll tell ya what I did. I took a rem 700 put a 3 position safty on it with a Sako extractor. And now I believe I have the perfect action.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Tanoose: Your rifle is one that is covered by the Remington safety recall. The early versions of the 700 had a lug on the forward end of the safety arm that came up under the bolt handle locking it closed when safety was on. Under the recall, the factory will remove that lug, making it possible to unload your rifle without taking safety off.

The model 70 three position safety locks bolt closed but also allows unloading w/safety on, but best of all, it locks the firing pin, not just the trigger/sear as is the case with the 700.

regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote