Find
Notify
Tools

Moose 1, Hunters 0
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
quote:
Maine (AP) � A bull moose charged at a hunter, clobbering him with his antlers and tossing him through the air two days before the start of the Maine's split, two-week moose hunt.

Jim Osgood was tossed through the air when the moose came charging on Saturday, a game warden said. The attack left him him with a broken collarbone and broken cheekbone. One of his eyes was swollen shut.

"All I remember is waking up on the ground," Osgood, 47, of Newry, said Sunday. "I don't remember anything else."

He had been hunting bear with a friend and their dogs when the incident unfolded, said Game Warden Chris Cloutier.

Osgood was bringing his dogs out of the woods � one in each hand � when his buddy yelled, "'Look out!' and then this big bull moose came running out of some alder bushes," said Cloutier.

"He threw him 20 feet into the air and 20 feet into the woods," said Cloutier.

Osgoods' friend dove under a truck, and the dogs eventually chased away the angry moose before he could do more damage, Cloutier said.

Moose are unpredictable right now as they begin their rutting season, which coincides with moose hunting season, Cloutier said.

"Of course I've seen them before and I've seen them acting weird, but I never had one come at me," Osgood said of the moose.

Unfortunately for Osgood, he probably got between the bull and a cow, said Cloutier. Fortunately, he had his dogs.

The episode hasn't soured Osgood's enjoyment of hunting. He said he has been hunting since he was 8 or 9 years old and he will get back into the woods as soon as his wounds heal.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos 45:

At least in Alaska where moose are chased by wolves, they see dogs much like they would see wolves. I imagine the dogs got the "bull" moose upset instead of the hunter walking between the bull and a calf. Now, if the hunter would have walked between a cow and a calf, then the cow would have charged instead of the bull. Sometimes bulls will charge if one gets between him and a cow he is interested in, specially during the rut. Sometimes bulls respond to a hunter's calls (a hunter "moose grunts"), and come in for a fight.

The brother of one of my coworkers was charged and pounded pretty hard by a bull moose a few years ago. His partners shot the moose through the lungs from a stand, and the moose fell over. So they stepped down from the stand, moved in to look at the supposedly dead moose, and that's when the moose got up and charged. He hit the hunter a couple of times with the antlers, but the hunter grabbed the moose by the antlers and positioned himself on the moose's forehead (between the antlers. The moose shook him a few times, and also slammed the hunter against a tree. By then his partner had moved beside the moose, and shot it dead at point blank. The hunter survived with a couple of broken ribs, a few gashes, and bruises all over his chest and back. He was very lucky, because the tines on a moose's antlers are very sharp, and long enough to reach one's vitals.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive had some hair raising experiences with moose while stream fishing in tall willows. [Eek!] Its too dang easy to get right up on them sometimes without knowing it. That guy really was lucky the dogs were there.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Many a morning, someone in our party got to his bear stand late or was afraid to stay on it as late as he wanted, because of moose. They are the most dangerous animal in the Maine woods during the rut. One fellow had to negotiate getting around a certain moose each morning and evening for 3 or 4 days. Next day, the moose was nowhere to be seen at his favorite haunt and the young hunter breathed a sigh of relief ... until he noticed moose tracks leading to his bear bait! The moose was there, alright and there he stayed, forcing the hunter to hunt elsewhere.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote