New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: need help with new rifle.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a Win.M70 Sporter Lt in .338 win mag. and a Savage 111FL in 7mm ultra mag-like them both alot. The Winchester has a nicer stock, action and trigger but I like the fit and feel of the Savage plus it is a tack driver and it was $400 (canadian) less than the winchester.

Posts: 76 | Location: Northwest Alberta, Canada | Registered: 05 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if the cz comes left-handed, i would say to go with that one. i have a cz in 7x57 and continue to be very impressed with it, even after owning it nearly 2 years.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well the good news is the wife want's to get me a new rifle for Christmas .

I want a lefty bolt gun, and I am open to a variety of calibers. I more importantly want the "right" rifle. Being a lefty the choices are slim to begin with. So the choices I am considering are:

Win Model 70 Classic Sporter (.270win, 30-06)

Browning A-bolt Micro (.270WSM)

Savage 111FL (25-06, always wanted a Quarter bore )

CZ Model 3 (.270 WSM, 7mm WSM)

Ok, let me here your suggestions. I am partial to the M70 sporter, just because it is an american classic, but I have qualtiy concerns after hearing from one guys experience recently. But that was only 1. What do you guys suggest?

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I like the Remingtons.

I like them because they shoot well and if you ever want to customize one, it is a good action for the gunsmith to work with.

I have lefties in:
30.06, 270, 300 RUM, 7 Rem Mag...all Rem. BDL's.

I have a leftie Ruger in 270 with a Hart barrel.

I actually like the feel of the Ruger quite well, maybe because I've had it so long...since the 80's.

I don't know about the Winchester's.

I think Savage is a good rifle. What I don't like about them is the bolt handle is so far back and the actions are long in travel. Other than that, they are great.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Oh, yea, I've had 3 left Brownings. Liked them all. Sold them long ago to help with down payment on 1st house. I think Browning is kind of expensive though.