New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sellier $ Bellot ammunition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What can any of you fellows tell me about the quality of this ammunition???

What about the quality of the bullets??

Where can it be purchased?

Thanks

<monz>
posted
The bullets are CRAP! The expand so much they turn themselves in side out and the penetration sucks.
They might work on max. elk sized game but definitly not bigger.
Dig a couple of more $ out of your wallet and buy ammo with a higher quality.

one of us
posted Hide Post
YIKES!!! One definitely NOT in favour.

Anyone else? I would be interested in them mainly as practice rounds, but thought I might try them on deer.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Ringo (edited 03-13-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
The quality of the ammunition is fine for most hunting conditions. Local clients have used this ammunition in my presence and shot several animals with good effect. I like this stuff and shot lots of it personally

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used S&B for plinking in my .223.... renamed it "sooty and black". Other than that, it was a reasonable, inexpensive plinking round.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I shoot alot of it in .45acp through my Kimber when I don't have the time to load my own, I think it is a great bargin for the money $8 and some change for a box of 50 through cheaper than dirt.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
J.R.,

Around home for practice and small deer, it's OK. If I'm putting out a lot of cash for a hunt away from home, where there might just be that"ONE SHOT," I'd much rather have premiums. Their shotgun shells have always performed well when I have used them but the rifle ammunition isn't very consistent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their 00 buck is probably the best ammo available for bowling pins (where legal).

H.C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Henry, what does the bowling alley have to say about that?

I have used this stuff for plinking, but never to hunt. They have the strangest 7MM bullets I have ever seen.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used their buckshot before with no problems, but I had a real bad experience with S&B ammo a couple years ago. I bought some 7.62x54R from them, thru Cheaper than Dirt, mostly for the brass. They were 180 grain roundnose. The problem was at the range when I shot them. I have shot lots of ammo thru my mosin/nagant, but this was the hottest stuff I ever touched off in it. The bolt stuck and I like to never got it open. After I cleaned the chamber to make sure everything was ok I tried some more. Bad move, the ammo was sticking and the primers were cratered and some even pierced. Thanks to Russian engineering I didnt have an explosion. I took the ammo home and pulled the bullets, using a different powder and reloaded them. They worked fine. I have been wary of S&B since then.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In �06 in a Rem 7400 the 150 SPCE were the most accurate ammo I�ve ever shot. In .45 ACP and 9 mmP they are very acceptable. Their revolver chamberings are not so impressive.

The SPCE cuts a clean hole in paper. Should mean hair at the spot.

IMHO their quality went up the last years.

Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote