New
Find
Notify
Tools

woud you still hunt if....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would you hunt if you couldn't keep the meat for some (make something up to suit you) reason?

I was thinking about how much I like deer meat and how expensive the total cost really was. Then I thought, Wait a minute! I would still hunt even if I couldn't keep the meat so I guess all the money is in the sport and the meat is STILL FREE!! dancing

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would need to know it went for some reasonable purpose.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt a lot where it is impractical to keep the meat. As long as it is retreived from the field and used by someone I'm fine with it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I typically donate all my meat. As long as the cape and horns are still mine to keep, I'd keep hunting. I might just be a bad cook, but I'm not a big fan of most game meat (which is strange considering I'm not a picky eater).

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love cooking with the pork and venison I've hunted here in Ca. I just drove from New Mexico back to Ca with all my elk meat and filled my second freezer.

Soon after I had a Mule deer and Whitetail deer hunt with full freezers. For those I paid to have it processed and donated the meat through SCI hunters for the hungry program. You can actually write off the processing cost. I really wish I had room for my kansas whitetail, that sucker looked good!

I love to hunt and am getting most my trophies mounted and love cooking with the meat when I can. If I can't I feel like donating is the way to go.

-Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I hunt 2 states and get maximum tags. That generally allows me 6 deer a year. I generally give 4 away to friends or familys in need from my church. When doing this I generally even pick up the processing fee in getting it cut and wrapped. My own personal way to help others.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always give most of my game meat away. I keep what I can consume before next season and give the rest away. I love the taste of deer and elk, but being single I just don't eat that much wild game to justify keeping the whole animal. I think that all of the meat should be hauled out before the trophy is even if you don't plan on keeping it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is usally somebody that would apreciate the meat. Likewise there are "feed the hungry" type programs everywhere these days asking for game meat donations.

While I like it my wife and daughter do not - it's not the taste, etc. simply the idea - and ouma hunts herself! As a result I keep a few choice cuts and enough sausage & jerky to keep me happy then give the rest away - usually to appreciative family members. Small game is easier. I can store it in "meal-size" portions. Just baked a delicious dove potpie yesterday!

I keep my venison consumption to a minimum though. Not taste, or any of the usual suspects but rather its extremely flatuous effect on me! moon

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I would still hunt as long as I know the meat is not going to be wasted. I love most game meat and eat it regularly, it would be a sad day when I couldn't bring it home anymore.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote