Find
Notify
Tools

Sitka Blacktail
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am interesetd in doing a self-guided or semi-guided hunt for Sitka Blacktail, any recommendations as to how and where?

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
Where are you considering going?

S.E. Alaska
Kodiak Island
Washington
Oregon
N. Kalifornia

If Southeast, I'd go P.O.W. Island. Fly to Ketchikan, hop over to the Island, rent an R.V. or truck. Get a good map of the Island. Something like 3,000 miles of road on the island - you might even be able to rent a wheeler.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
As best I know, Sitka Blacktail only live in Alaska and the West Coast of Canada. My preference is Alaska.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
That was a mental lapse on my part.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One place for Sitkas - Kodiak Island. Just look at the B&C book for reference - many if not most are from Kodiak. There are about 40,000 deer on the island - numbers and quality are generally very good. Best places are in the southwest part. Winter of 1998-99 hurt the population pretty bad, but we have had two good winters now. Depending on how this one plays out, next year could bring excellent hunting again.

Give the ADF&G biologist in Kodiak a call. He will be glad to talk to you about when and general areas to hunt.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
L-n-B,

Everybody should see Kodiak in August. It is beyond comparison,in raw beauty. The nice thing about Kodiak,is the wide open country,it is a fun way to Hunt.

To Hunt the same type of Alpine country,in SE,requires much more leg work.

SE is a sleeper locale,for bruiser Bucks. Most the locals that Hunt hard,keep tight lips. Few enter Trophies in B&C. I know of four Bucks that netted 120" or better,that are hanging on walls,in my neighborhood. Of course,none were entered in B&C. That is an incredible Sitka Blacktail(obviously).

I'm not dismissing Kodiak. It is an easier Hunt physically. Also easier,because you can see more ground,due to less vegetation. You'll also see lots of animals,due to those conditions.

The B&C ALL Time Book,is a good reference. However,everything is not as it seems,in those pages. Most locations mentioned,simply stipulate "such and such" Mountain,Bay,Cove Creek,etc. Were you not a local,you wouldn't have a clue,as to where in Alaska those places are. That is not entirely deception,but most guys I run with,do a little sandbagging before they divulge their Hunt's location(grin). In actuality,why WOULDN'T you?!?

So while there are countless superb specimens collecting dust,in all four corners of the World,that go unnoticed. I think SE,is likely the sandbagging Capitol. Partly because the guys that are TRULY good,don't want competition. The balance,because most guys have zero idea of the magnitude of their Trophies.

Case in point,this one nets 123-2/16's. He's not in the Book and never will be. Nice to see stuff like this,because it gives an idea of the genetic potential. SE has some superb tine length and symmetry...............

one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
Big Stick,

Thats a hell of a nice buck! I haven't hunted the Sitkas before but I sure plan on it in the near future. I think those Sitka Blacktails make a gorgeous mount. Thanks for the photo.

Jarrett

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Big Stick:

Any suggestions on where to get more information on hunting SE? Any recommendations on guides for a semi-guided hunt (hunter does the hunting, guide provides meals, lodging, logistical support, and information of specific hunting areas)?

l-n-b

<Big Stick>
posted
L-n-B,

There is not a Guide in SE,that I could recommend to you,in good faith,for a crack at a Trophy Blacktail.

That does not mean I know them all,but the one's I'm familiar with,I wouldn't personally cut a check. So couldn't advise you to do likewise.

Thus the dilemna of Hunting SE. Despite the genes and good numbers of animals,it is a difficult prospect.

The crux of my post,wasn't to lure you to SE but to really,thoroughly research,your Adventure. Research comes easier,than sweat and frustration. Also cheaper than hiring someone,who's sole intent,is to only cash your check.

There is no easy or "right" way. You simply pick your poison and go with gut instinct. Only afterwards,will you know how good of a guesser you were(grin).

I could bullshit you and tell you,that you could expect to kill a 110" Net Buck,by simply hiring a $1500 Outfitter for a drop hunt. Though that is in the realm of possibility,it is highly unlikely,at best.

The reason you can't hire a Guide,who has reams of B&C Sitka's to his credit,is due to many factors. One,they are greasy bastards,until the Rut starts. Two,during the Rut,you are at the mercy of the weather. You may spend 3 days,of a 7day Hunt,stuck in airports or an outlying area.

Kodiak's weather is meaner,than SE's. You'll likely see more animals on Kodiak,but in my opinion SE has much better symmetry,on the average. Kodiak has good mass on the average,SE has tine length.

The most Beautiful Bucks I've ever seen,have come from SE. But,that is a subjective matter.

If you are of the Adventurous sort and of the means,this is what I'd contemplate. Hunting Kodiak on a Drop Hunt,during the Rut. It will be a ball bustin',ass kickin',mean experience,unless you are the blessed type and the weather cooperates. Wich means,expect to see EVERYTHING Mother Nature is capable of and then some.

You will REQUIRE the best gear available,a bunch of ambition,much common sense and raw determination. Kodiak can and will,kick your ass,if ill-prepared. There is a definate likelyhood,that you'll need a partner too. As many Flight Services,refuse to fly a guy in solo. That will help you cut costs,by splitting the charter flight. Besides,a good pard is invaluable,in Bear Country.

I'd tote a serious rifle,so as to be able to sleep well at night,in my tent. I'm the first to admit,that Brownies spook me. I very much respect them and have been scared shitless,on more than one occassion(in SE's jungles).

I'm a Rut Junkie,because they are at their utmost Beauty. To my eye,there isn't a critter as noble,as a primed Sitka Buck,that is of braggin' rights size. I'd much rather have a primed Fall cape,as opposed to an early-season cape. But again,that is subjective.

As you could surmise by now,there are many trains of thought and options available to you. My thoughts are likely much different,than the "norm",so don't pay too damned much attention to ME.

I prefer to Hunt by myself,as I trust me,more than anyone else I know. We also get along pretty good(grin). When given the option(read as,NOT required)I prefer to Hunt without a Guide of any type. That suits me,but isn't for everyone.

Sorry,I can't give you some definitive hard/fast facts. You need to weigh the type of Hunt you are willing/wanting to make and conditions you are willing to face. That will help determine the time of year,best suited to your wishes.

A leisure Hunt,from a very nicely outfitted boat,would be a hoot. You'd keep a dry ass,belly full of great grub,but you'd kid yourself to have really high Trophy expectations. They are expensive to boot.

Like anything else,Hunting Sitka Blacktail's is a bunch of give and take. The landslide percentage of guys,give much more than they take.

That is their allure(to me)..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
l-n-b,
Kodiak as early in August as the season permits. I did it once in August for deer.
Once in September-October for bear. Spiridon Bay and Kaguyak Bay respectively. Weather was worse late in season, and I and a buddy were self guided with proper equipment. I took a buck and a doe first time, two bucks second time, but no bear. Plenty of sightings and excitement of the chase, however. The first trip the bear hunted us.
The second trip I had drawn a permit as resident, but King Kodiak got away. I tried.

Kodiak for deer is one of the most outstanding hunts a nonresident can do on his own in Alaska, for sheer joy of the outdoors. Logistics are not bad, and it is affordable. Use enough gun.

------------------
Happiness is a warm double.
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote