New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob Hagel has died.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mr. Bob Hagel died just before Christmas 2005.

Mr. Hagel was one of the Greatest Reloaders and Gun Writers I have ever been fortunate to read. His ability and skill at passing along his first-hand Reloading and Hunting experience through his written word was truly excellent. His Books continue to provide some of my greatest pleasure.

Mr. Hagel's books and articles concerning Reloading, stress the importance of watching for all Pressure Indicators. He was a champion for Case Head Expansion and Pressure Ring Expansion as Methods anyone can use to ensure their Loads will be SAFE.

When you read Mr. Hagels words concerning Elk and Deer hunting, it takes you right there on the hunt with him. Plenty of details to draw a mental picture of what he had seen and done first-hand, and how the reader can accomplish the same.

I could go on and on, but those of you who are familiar with his writing already know how enlightening, exact and entertaining his writing was. For those of you who do not recognize Mr. Hagel's name, though some of the Data in his Books was totally accurate for the time it was written, it is appropriate to understand some of the information is a bit Dated from todays perspective. It is still some of the very best reading you can find anywhere when recognized in that context. And I recommend any of his writings that you can find.

A friend of mine mentioned he had seen a notice about Mr. Hagel's passing on another Board. I rarely go there because I simply do not like some of the people who post there. But, I took a look and as usual, howl took the opportunity to trash Mr. Hagel.

EDIT in a Correction: And I noticed a glancing blow concerning Mr. Hagel from john barsness(posts as mule deer). That was a total mis-reading of John Barsness post on my part and I stand corrected below by "chucky".

I had considered PMing Savage 99 and Mark Dobrenski for calling howl on his comments, but decided to post here and publicly say, Thank You Don and Mark.
-----

Trashing dead people is the standard mode for howl. He has done it before concerning Mr. P.O. Ackley on Hunt America and when I called him on it there, marshall the site owner, gave me a bit of grief for saying howl is the scum of the earth. So I told marshall what he could do with his Board.

A few months passed and howl made the same personal attack about Mr. Ackley on the Reloading Board right here at AR. Needless to say I once again felt it appropriate to defend the deceased Mr. Ackley and tell howl what a totally worthless scum of the earth he is. I have absolutely no doubt at all howl is driven to trash the dead because he is jealous of their accomplishments and world wide recognition. The only recognition howl deserves is for fooling lots and lots of folks, the PT Barnum of the Firearms Industry.

howl's esteemed doctorate is in Theology, but you would never know it from the way he constantly berates and belittles the Beginners, or anyone who disagrees with him. I can’t imagine a religion that considers howl as one of their own. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Mathamtics, Physics, Engineering and certainly not Ballistics, as he tries to fool people into believing.

howl's only firearms knowledge comes from other peoples sweat and their first-hand experience, he has contributed nothing to the Firearms Industry that is entirely of his own doing, he has never had an original thought and that includes the line of howl cartridges.

howl does have the distinction of having the "howl C.A.R.E.T. Factor" named in his honor. It stands for howl's ability to Complicate Any Relatively Easy Task. The Term originated when he "tried to describe" how to Anneal a Case on Hunt America many years ago. By the time a Beginner got through trying to understand the fiasco method he outlined, it was obvious they would just not do it at all.

Yes indeed, howl is the scum of the earth.

So, why am I ranting about howl? Simply because he is still showing he is the same totally worthless scum he has always been, I want you all to know it, and I won’t be able to do it after he is gone.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed Hagel's writing, particularly in Handloader and Rifle. He seemed to have pretty good grasp of his subjects. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core. Whether or not you like Ken Howell or not, at least have the decency and courtesy to spell his name right. You lower yourself immensely by not doing so. JMHO.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

So, why am I ranting about howl?

Because you aren't aware of how really stupid it makes you look?

Just a guess....

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, you're lying slime.

Here is Barsness' direct quote. Glancing blow?

"Was out of the country for a while and just got the news here.

Bob was one of the biggest influences on my own career. He was not the world's most graceful writer, but he got the job done clearly and honestly. He went to far greater lengths to really test stuff than 9 out of 10 gun writers.

As I recall, he was the one gun writer who tested and told the truth about the original Speer Grand Slam when it came out. All the others talked about it theoretically, implying it was great. It was not, as I found out, thanks to Bob. That bought him my attention until he quit writing. My own original copy of HANDLOADS AND PRACTICAL BALLISTICS started falling apart a decade ago, so I bought the reprint. Still have both.

I have hunted a lot of the same country as Bob, and wish I had stopped by one of the times I passed through Gibbonsville or Salmon. But had heard he did not want any uninivited visitors because of his illness, so did not.

May he rest in peace, in a land of many big bull elk.

MD "

May I suggest you pack your things and leave. Forever!

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core, I completely agree with your comments concerning Bob Hagel and I said as much on 24Hr., which annoyed the eminent Dr. Ken Howell. Apparently, I am not allowed, nor is AD, Brad, Sav. 99, Dobro or anyone else, to disagree with the learned Doctor. He used his usual method of lurid prose and obscure references to admonish we upstarts and this simply demonstrates the truth of Allen Day's opinion of him, IMO.

I find trashing someone when they die to be absolutely disgusting and it is, as you say, based on jealousy. The best point made on the thread at the Campfire was AD's ....fake it 'til you make it club....says it all.

On a personal note, how are things with the illness at home? All personal differences aside, I wish you and yours a better time and peace.

But, don't get soft, somebody's gotta keep me in line! I gotta agree with Chuck on the MD issue, JB is a really decent guy. But, don't leave, AR would be too quiet without you!

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew there was someone else to say Thank You to concerning that thread and that was Kutenay - Thank You!

And it also seems I own John Barsness a correction, thanks to chucky copying his post over here. Apparently I mis-read Mr. Barsness input and will go back and correct my first post.

Paul B, I appreciate your comment, but howl is still the scum of the earth.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of Bob Hagels books, and have read many,many of his articles. I consider his works excellent. His "Lab" was in the field, under real hunting conditions. Every hunter/reloader should read his books.
His writings/experiences is one of the main reasons I starting using premium bullets.
He was also a big believer in heavy cast bullets for handgun hunting. Read about his experience with Cougars.
His writings rate right up there with all the other greats IMHO.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This hagel situation is just your typical internet bullshit,where you have a bunch of douche bags that need to idiolize someone.Even though all they have to go on is a bunch of heavily edited literature to base their cult following on.

Then when someone who has actually met your idiol(spent a considereable amount of time with them) and calls bullshit on him comes along,all of you pussies start crying.

I never could understand all the raves about Hagel.Then again nobody really talked about him until he died,he was just another writter. His position on handguns was nothing but keith repeated and he borrowed from both Jack and Elmer on rifles.Real original shit.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote