Find
Notify
Tools

Ok, thoughts on Savage 116?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
This is a spin off of the other thread I started regarding my Air Force friend and his new rifle search.

Just received email that he looked at a Savage 116 in 30.06. He also mentioned a Sightron scope in 3x9x42 big sky ii (?).

Sorry guys but still need your help on this. Both brands are known to me but I don't know much about either. So, help me out.

Your thoughts on these 2?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've yet yo own a Savage that did not shoot well out of the box. I can't say the same for some pricier brands.

THe Sightron Big Sky series is quickly earning respect among optics fans. The overall quality is excellent for the price. I think a combination of the Savage & Sightron would make your friend a rather happy camper...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a reasonable price then tell him to buy it. I haven't used any Sightron scopes but I've had good luck with Savage (don't know why I haven't kept many). I haven't found one yet that didn't shoot good. I would buy it and replace the trigger if it hasn't been done already.

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
I will be honest and tell you that I have yet to own a Savage. Do not interpret that to mean that I have a low opinion of them. They just don't fit my personal preferences is all. All of my big game rifles are CRF with claw extractors. I have no qualms at all in recommending a Savage to someone else who is looking to get the most accuracy for the money. A Savage 30-06 with a Sightron Big Sky scope should be an excellent combo.

Correction: I kind of own a Savage 99. It is my inheritance from my Grandfather, but he is still with us so I don't really view it as mine yet.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, My old hunting buddy John had right at 1000 Kills with his old B&W 30-06 M110 with a 3-9x World Class Tasco. Only problem he ever had on it was the Bolt got a bunch of " Sand " in it which caused a few mis-fires.

Soaked the Bolt in a jar of Gasoline before I got down to the Lowcountry to see about it and you could see the Sand sparkling when we shook the jar. Cleaned the Bolt real well and it was good to go.

Then when the S&S M116 came out, he got one in 30-06 and put a 3.5-10x 50mm VariX-III on it. He had nearly another 1000 Kills on it when he died. No problems of any kind with the M116.

He did have it Dip Camo Coated by a local guy, but we both agreed there was nothing at all wrong with the original Satin Finish. Never changed the stock and I'm not sure if we ever messed with the Trigger on it or not. His M116 had a 22" barrel which worked just fine.

He used Green Box Remington 150gr ammo for a long time then switched to 150gr White Box Winchester when he got a good deal on 20 boxes. And he was using 165gr White Box Winchester at the end.

As far as I know, both rifles are still being used by some of his relatives. Just a Sample Size of two rifles, with only one a M116.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,
As you have described your friends needs, that sounds near perfect.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
I bought a 116 in 300WSM a couple years back to turn into a 257WSM-- it shot so well I just restocked it it, pillar bed it into the new stock and use it for whitetails here on the Palouse.... I think they are great.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote