New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too Cool
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just found out that I have been drawn for one of the Sika Deer hunts on Virginia's Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge in Jan. Been trying to get on this hunt for quite awhile. The deer are completely free ranging. I drew the northern end of the refuge which butts up against the Maryland State Line.

Not sure what to expect since I haven't done the hunt before but I've got 2 days allotted to me and the bag limit is 5 Sika of either sex per day but I'm thinking that is not gonna happen. I wouldn't want to fool with 10 deer. I'll be pleased to get 1 or 2.

I'm really looking forward to this hunt. It isn't everyday you get to do something completely new.

Cheers

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I've been out there on those islands etc when I lived in MD. Wasn't aware that they had Sika hunts there.
Keep us posted.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have friends out that way and they have taken us out to look at the ponies and deer. The sika are not very big but I hear the taste very good. Even a really big sika buck is pretty small, they just don't grow big antlers on the marsh. It would still be a cool hunt for a cool little deer. Good luck.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If you have transport/weather is cool enough you could share the bounty with friends.
With that bag limit they are trying to reduce populations

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pirate's Life:
I just found out that I have been drawn for one of the Sika Deer hunts on Virginia's Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge in Jan. Been trying to get on this hunt for quite awhile. The deer are completely free ranging. I drew the northern end of the refuge which butts up against the Maryland State Line.

Not sure what to expect since I haven't done the hunt before but I've got 2 days allotted to me and the bag limit is 5 Sika of either sex per day but I'm thinking that is not gonna happen. I wouldn't want to fool with 10 deer. I'll be pleased to get 1 or 2.

I'm really looking forward to this hunt. It isn't everyday you get to do something completely new.

Cheers

I've hunted there 3 or 4 times. It's a tough hunt, but it's very fun. I was lucky enough to kill a big buck/bull with my bow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hartfish,

Which zone did you hunt? I've got zone 10 and I've never been to that one. I've been as far north as zone 6 but no farther. They open the gate for driving during the season but not at other times and zone 10 is about 7 miles one way. Long walk.

I am looking forward to it. I've spent a lot of time on the refuge and have seen some very nice Sika there.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Tom's Cove Hook and Zone 7 with a bow and Zone 4 with a gun. I can't tell you anything about 10, but from my experience, the more work you put into it, the better your odds. Ironically, however, we found some deer within 10 or 20 yards of the road. I guess everyone passes right by them and the deer just lay there and watch trucks drive by all day.

I recall that hunters who hunted the northernmost zones got their stuff in and their deer out with a hand cart.