Find
Notify
Tools

California Black Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
I will be up in the Eastern Sierra's for one week in mid-October. Specifically, I will be in the Twin Lakes Bridgeport area. This will be about one week after the General Deer season closes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I just came back from a bear hunt in AK, so this will be my second try. I was told to look for stands of trees with pinion nuts.

Would I do like I would for deer? look for bedding areas, or will they be feeding mid-day in mid-October?

What is more likely to be the area's to find them? Streambeds with HEAVY growth, pine forest? North slopes, south slopes? Should I look for sign and set up a stand or just walk, drive and glass hillsides and canyons?

How about the ones that seem to raid all the campgrounds at night? Where do you think they go in the day time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.. [Smile]

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if June lake Silver lake area is in your bear zone, but I was up there last week and saw lots of bear scat right off the trail at Silver lake trail head. I spoke to another deer hunter who watched the good size black bear come down towards the camping area. I know it's about 50 miles from where you mentioned but that is what I saw and heard.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the unput. Hopefully a bear hunter will see this over the weekend and reply. Most of the info I've looked up is advice for baiting or dog hunting.

I bought a video off e-bay and it was about brown bears.

Thanks again.

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That area is wide open, high desert. Not typical bear habitat. Haven't been there for many years, but I think you should consider another area.
Another area, with reasonable Black Bear populations, may not be that far away. I suggest you contact the local Calif. Dept. of Fish & Game Office. Ask for the local unit manager/biologist, or some other biologist familar with the area. Their phone number is 760-872-1171. I've always had good information about local hunting from these sources. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N'gagi,

Point one, baiting or hunting over bait is llegal in California. Hunting with hounds is fine. One of the main things to look for is water near a food source. All good bear habitat has plenty of food and some available water. Water provides bears with an insect deterrent, a place to cool off and to get a drink. Moreover, food such as lush grasses and berries often grow on the shorelines and banks of water sources. Look for wild berries and nuts in the area you plan on hunting. Although black bears can be found feeding in open areas, such as a clear-cut or mountain berry patch, they are generally creatures of the forest. Black bears need forest cover to feel secure and they need room to roam. The best time to view bears is the late afternoon on to evening. Sunset I have found is better then morning although you will find them out in the middle of the day at times. Scouting is the best way to get to learn an area. I prefer to use the spot and stalk method of hunting them. Finding out what types of food are available in the area you want to hunt is the best advice I can give you. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some great bears to be harvested in that area if you know where to go. I'm outta town until Oct 13, I will PM you more info.

MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
Thanks MtnHntr,

I spoke to Tim Allen, the DFG guy up there and he said the same thing. He gave me a few pointers, but I look forward to talking to you next week. I'm headed up Wednesday morning, and am getting pretty excited.

I'm bringing my predator caller too. Anyone ever try this on a bear?

Thanks again for all the advice fella's.