New
Find
Notify
Tools

New rifle or new barrel??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had this posted on the Varmint page, but didn't get any bites. Any advice/help would be most appreciated.

I have already made my mind up on buying a Winchester Classic stainless/synthetic in 30-06 and need a varmint rifle compliment. I currently own a TC Encore pistol in 44 Mag and have been debating on a TC barrel from D&R Sports Center for $219, a custom barrel $320+forend, or a Savage. As far as the Savage goes, I don't want to carry around a boat anchor, but I do want something stury and accurate. Kind of interested in the 12FVSS (9Lbs), 12VSS (same as previous, but with Choate stock, 11.25Lbs boat anchor) both of which have a heavy stainless fluted barrel, and the 16FSS (standard rifle, 6.5Lbs).

I guess what I am asking is, should I just get a barrel for my TC Encore or get a Savage. The caliber I want is 223 Remington. Anything bigger would just be overkill for where I live...Ohio. I have about $400-$500 to spend. I'm also trying to squeeze out a scope from that too. I know it won't be anything nice, but it's all I can afford for now. I have a 3-12x42 MilDot Sightron I could put either on the 30-06 or the 223.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
The encore rifle will be very light, to the point that you will notice the '06 recoil. Are you saying you want to get an '06 in the win. supergrade and also get a .223 barrel for the encore? Or, choose between the two?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with a new rifle I find that with multi barrel guns it is just a pain to change them over. Much nicer to pick up another gun and go. By the time you add everything togather your about the same price.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
New rifle, new rifle, new rifle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the sound of those words!! [Big Grin]

Good Hunting,

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Not a fan of the TC but some do shoot very well. I would buy the Savage in the 223 since you may have a better chance of getting a good shooting rifle. Hard to beat those darn ugly looking Savage rifles when it comes tight groups. I own two Savage rifles, 22-250, 243 and both shoot great. In fact the model 110, 243 with it's skinny 22" barrel is a tack driver and shoots better groups than my 22-250 heavy barreled 12FV Savage. It is hard to beat the price for a Savage when buying a reliable inexpensive facory hunting rifle.

<rossi>
posted
Used to love some of the TCR 83s, the Aristocrat and the Hunter were both nice platforms. I remember a fire, I believe, destroyed the plant that made them back in the 80s to early 90s. Some had double triggers and nice wood. The newer encore is a good performer but has less appeal than the older 83s.

Anyway, when it comes to the encore, it appears somewhat defeating not to use it's interchangable barrel offerings. I would probably have a nice #3 contoured barrel, starting at 0.900" at the breach, tappered to 0.700", and 26" legnth. SSK Industries gets several Shilen blanks and specializes in Contenders and Encores. Because of this, they usually can get you a fine shooting barrel for in the mid $300s.

Stock wise, Boyds makes a nice laminated two piece for the Encore (about $90.00, if memory serves). The stock barrel channel may fit from the get go, but if not, could be easily opened and worked. The red Nutmeg color is pretty nice with a blued barrel. Assuming your Encore action is blued. If not they also have a Pepper, which looks good on stainless.

Something to think about.

rossi