THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Accubond performance report from deer season

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Accubond performance report from deer season
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
I find the Hornady IB to be softer than the Nosler AB. I wouldn't use either one ina 7mag @ that distance w/ that shot placement, just too soft.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
All the scouting I had done indicated my shot would be from 100 to 300 yds. I had heard good things about the Interbonds here and they shot better than the AB's in my rifle.The wind that day was in my face and these deer come into the field from behind me. Turn and were almost on a straight line to my tripod stand. I wish he had turned for a broadside but not my luck. I figure the shoulder shot would penetrate into the lung/heart area so I took it.I think it will be Partitions from now on in all my rifles.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Is that the Interbond recovered from the deer? I would have expected a wider mushroom, but I guess velocity from a 308 at 225 yards isn't that great.

An offshoot question. I know the Scirrocco jacket is all copper, and the Accubond is gilding metal. What is the Interbond?

one of us
posted Hide Post
We killed 9 animals this fall with both 180 Accubonds (300 rum) and 150 Interbonds (308). Not one shot did less than expected, and not one bullet was recovered, in spite of some heavy bones being broken. We did recover one Interbond last season, though. It impacted a buck in the sternum at a slight angle, and was located against the rear offside femur. I think there was a 90% retention (@~225 yds).

Considering the accuracy I have gotten with these, I'm hooked.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Fred, is that a Partition?

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yes D&D, that's a 210gr Partition, impact vel. for both shown; approx. 2500fps. Penetration in wetpack about 17", in the Kudu; almost 30".

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Fish, I use wet phone books to test any bullet I hunt with. It isn't a live animal, but I have found bullets recovered from wet pack perform alot like bullets taken from game animals. If it won't expand in wetpack, it probably doesn't expand well on a deer size animal broadside. If it fragments, it probably doesn't make it to vitals on a 1/4ing or shoulder shot. To date I have had few surprizes. The bullet on the left is from wetpack & the one on the right from a big kudu bull (210grNP/.338-06).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fredj, that's interesting. What distance were the wet phone books at for that shot? Also, how many do you typically put back to back for a test? I am wondering if you just try to approximate an animals girth (or width I guess) or just stack up ten or fifteen to make sure you don't lose the bullet>

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Fish, I shoot them @ 50m. I use a cardboaerd box that reams of copy paper come in. Soak the books through, line a box w/ a plastic trash bag, stack the books together tightly. Most expanding bullets stop in one box (about 17"+), use 2 boxes end to end. If you are carefull you can get (5) shots, then put the rear box in front & fire (5) more. I built a rack to hold the (2) boxes & place that on a portable Benchmate. You can shoot out as far as you can hit, I like 50m because I can get (5) rounds w/o over lap. Just load down so your impact vel. is close to the distance you want to test.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fredj, I appreciate the feedback. I think I'll give that a try this spring. I hadn't thought of loading down to the approximate impact velocity you want to analyze.
Regards--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the recovered Interbond. Sorry, I don't know the make-up of the jacket.

I also loaded some 160 AB for a friend in 7mm, and he had two pass-throughs on a cow elk. Wish I could tell you how they work on elk personally, but my elk luck is pretty poor.

If I collect any more of these little bonded bullets from animals, I'll post them.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote