New
Find
Notify
Tools

How's this pronghorn?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of a nice NM goat. The picture is a little small/bad, but you can still tell he’s worth going after, for a closer look at least. Hopefully I will draw a tag this year and get a chance.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
In New Mexico or Arizona (and I am guessing Texas) antelope tend to be thinner and taller. I would say he is not quite 14, probably 13 and half or something in that neighborhood.

His problem is he has no mass, and he has short prongs, and very underdeveloped hooks.

Considering how black his face is, I would think he is probably 3 years old.

There are a lot of antelope killed every year in my home state of Wyoming that are very similar to this buck, and there would be nothing wrong with them excepting that they would be 4 or 5 years old with several dry seasons in a row.

In a good wet season in Wyoming you could have a buck like this at 3.

Ideally in Wyoming for trophy bucks you want several years of mild winters, followed by a very quick damp spring and limited rain throughout the summer.

Too much rain and you create a nutrient poor feed source, too little and there isn't much for them to eat.

So early rain and then a drier summer would produce big bucks. Especially if it followed several years of quick warmer winters.

We loose a lot of bucks in the winter.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot that guy in NM unless it's last seconds of the hunt, and you haven't taken an antelope before. He is in the 12-13 inch zone, and his uncles older brothers and maybe dad will be around! The pic from the side tells a lot, he does'nt have the belly yet, and you can see how his prongs are just even with his ears.

As to eating em, I have had (like most game animals) good and bad. It is IMO (like most game animals) dependant on what they have been eating. A lope off of alfalfa is awfully good to me, one that has been grinding up nothing but sagebrush to eat is pretty rough to eat.

Come to think of it, I've had true grass fed grazed beef, and it sucked--now cattle from the same rancher that had been at the feed lot for 90 days or so---AWESOME!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote