New
Find
Notify
Tools

King Ranch questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone done a Whitetail hunt at the King Ranch recently? Will be doing a hunt in Nov. Any tips on what to bring in regards to equipment would really be appreciated. Sticks, bi-pod, range finder, etc.??? Thanks, Smoker1
PS I cannot get my messages to come to my e-mail even though I check 'notifications on', so forgive me if I don't answer right away.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Expect weather to be 50-85, probably dry and the rattlers will still be crawling. If near the end of Nov you will probably be hunting some portion of the rut. Is your hunt guided or on a lease on the ranch? Terrain varies a lot from thick oak motts to open salt flats and mesquite. Shots can be short of long (say 50-200). Brown/green camo if so inclined. Toughest part of hunting the King is taking the politically correct buck - shoot a 4 1/2 year old 10 point and your name is grass! Also take your bay fishing gear as the King shoreline is wonderful fishing. As you probably know they also have a lot of nilgai hunting. You should see plenty of game. Welcome to the great brush country of S. Texas.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for writing muygrande. Good info. I'm doing a guided hunt and the 4 1/2 year old deer you speak of is considerably out of my financial reach. I'll be doing a cull buck hunt but am told I should expect a 130 to 140 class deer. Shooting range seems very reasonable. Thanks again for the info. Good shooting, Smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget something for the mosquitos! They will be bad, especially if there is not much wind.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Definately bring your shooting sticks, rangefinder and camera. The top picture was taken just south of the King Ranch. More oak a bit farther north. The bottom picture is about 100 yards west of the King Ranch fence.

It is a lot drier this year, not much standing water.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should get your choice of nice 4 1/2 and up 8-9 pointers that they probably consider culls provided they don't have a lot of drops and kickers. Yes, mosquitoes, cameras, suntan lotion are all good points.Let us hear how the trip turns out, it should be a blast.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Jason Pitzer
posted Hide Post
I want to in the future hunt a nigali on the King Ranch. Do they run full range on the King Ranch?

I believe strongly, that the flesh of the living animal is something very sacred. If you cannot bear freezing int he mud and wind of winter whilst you find them, if you cannot kill them yourself....and if you cannot stomach the stench and feel of guts and blood......
You have not the right to eat meat.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mosquitos! Man, there's one I wouldn't have thought of. When I leave here ( western NYS ), there will be snow on the ground. I'll leave the BI-pod home and take sticks. HM, the legs on them deer are pretty short Smiler. Can't tell you guy's how exiceted I am about this trip. Been hunting deer for 50 years now and have never taken a decent rack. Thought i'd better get on the stick before it's too late. Thanks again folks, Smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smoker1:
mosquitos! Man, there's one I wouldn't have thought of. When I leave here ( western NYS ), there will be snow on the ground. HM, the legs on them deer are pretty short Smiler. Can't tell you guy's how exiceted I am about this trip. Been hunting deer for 50 years now and have never taken a decent rack. Thought i'd better get on the stick before it's too late. Thanks again folks, Smoker1

Yep, unless we get an early cool snap, the mosquitoes will be out in force. Good advice to bring insect repellant and sunscreen. Temperature predictions are accurate, too.

These aren't quite up to the standards you're lookin for, but at least their legs are longer Wink and they have had a year or two to mature, so come on down and have a ball! You'll see a lot of really nice bucks.

quote:
Orriginal post by Jason Pitzer: I want to in the future hunt a nigali on the King Ranch. Do they run full range on the King Ranch?

Yes, these are very large pastures, all the game is free ranging.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HM, are you kiddin???? Thats a very nice buck. Take one like that without hesitation. I know they make them bigger but that deer is really nice. Smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson