New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big 5 selling Mauser 98 rifles?
 Login/Join

<monyhunter>
posted
Where I live they just opened a new Big 5 sporting goods store. In the recent Sunday add they had a 98 Mauser rifle for sale for only $49 bucks!!! I went into the store to see if this was true, and to look at the rifles. The only problem was the store has been delayed their FFL due to the 9/11 thing. They plan on getting it in a few months.

I hear many of you talking about building rifles on this action, or is it another action? I would love to get a couple of these for "future" projects. Where do all of you get your old mauser actions?

------------------
Monyhunter

<BigBores>
posted
I too, was excited on the prospects of a super cheap mauser action. And then I actually saw the guns. Imagine, if you will, someone tying a piece of rope to the gun, tying the other end to the bumper of a truck, and then driving a half mile down a gravel road. Lets just say that you will do a lot of filing and polishing on the reciever to smooth the pits out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are turkish mausers in 8mm Mauser. For a gun to shoot a little and have some fun with they are hard to beat. They also have the VZ24 which is a czech mauser 98 and are much better as far as overall quality. The VZ's are 89 dollars. They sometimes also have a yugo 48 which is also a mauser rifle. They are good rifles as well. They cost about 170 on sale.

If this picture comes up this is a turkish mauser...

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me try that again...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buell,
That bayonet is just right for roasting a hunk of Spam over the campfire after a long day hunting right?

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use that bayonet for many things, even roasting a peice of Spam over a campfire!

This should be a yugo 48, which is basically a mauser 98...

posted Hide Post
Buell, The Yugo 48 is about 1/4 inch shorter
receiver than a mod 98.

Rich NRA life member;

------------------
Hawk

Posts: 12 | Location: Port Orchard Wa. USA | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote