New
Find
Notify
Tools

Campfire storys
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You guys got any campfire stories you would like to share,stories about good hunts,luck good or bad,strange events?I got one about a time when i could never get off work to hunt,we were covered up all thru bow season and early rifle season,I finaly got to go one weekend and was thinking about hunting this little creek bottom i had never watched before.I got up before daylight,quitely made my way to the area i was going to hunt.When i got there i could just barely see down the ridge.I picked out a tree to lean against,cleared a place on the ground where the leaves wouldnt make any noise,Put my dove stool down,turned and looked down the ridge again,and dang if there wasnt a spike looking around a tree at me!He stuck his head back as if he was hideing.I aimed my rifle and he stuck his head around to look again and i pulled the trigger!Dropped him right there!I had not even got to sit down yet!That was one of my all time greatest luck hunts!It doesnt get any better than that!Lady luck was really shining on me that morning!Tell us about some good hunts you guys have had,I would love to hear them.

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Years ago a friend and I scouted a really great place to bow hunt down along a creek. They had to travel between me and the creek, or me and the sheer bluff, both of which offered a clear and easy shot from the tree I had chosen for my stand.

Being the hunter I was in those days I was up in my tree about 45 minutes before daylight. I kept smelling woodsmoke but was just assuming it was being carried up the valley on the morning breeze. At daylight the crew asleep on the sand bar accross the creek and about 100 yards downstream got to banging around after a night of catfishin and drinkin.

Now I know why the hot trail ad little action that day!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
When I was only 15 or so my father took me over to Central Oregon's high desert near Fort Rock to hunt mule deer. We left early in the morning to make that three hour drive but we timed it wrong and it was just daylight when we got there. Backed the old power wagon, a real one - ex military, into a pole thicket not but three feet off the road. Hurredly got our gear together and went for a long walk in search of deer. After about two hours of walking without seeing deer we headed back to the truck. At the truck we climbed back in without any regard for noise as we thought there were no deer around. There were plenty of road hunters going by and waving as they passed us. In the middle of eating a sandwich my father puts his coffee cup down and mumbles "givmemygoddamrifleson". I hand him his 30-06 and catch his coffee before it spills. He leans out the window and looks like he is going to shoot the next truck coming down the road. To my surprise he shoots a round into a log about 20 yards from the truck and perpendicular to the road. I was thinking that is strange behavior and he shoots again at the next log about 10 feet further down the road.
I'm confused as he bails out of the truck and yells at me to bring a knife. We walk along the road and to the logs to see two bucks with holes in their heads laying dead. We back up the truck to the deer and block traffic while we load up the two mule deer.

Turns out while he was munching on his sandwich he noticed motion to the left and saw the first buck raise his head. After the first shot he was sure he had a dead deer until the head popped up again. After the second shot he realized that he had shot two deer. The deer were laying not ten feet from the road and had been watching the road hunters drive by. When the traffic died down they raised their heads once too often.

This happened in 1961.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1988 I was living in NW Louisiana. I had been hunting a small stretch of woods that funneled the deer from one big woods to another. I hunted out of a climbing stand and had just got comfy when I spotted a spike coming thru. Took my shot (06) and he ran of to my far right and stopped, did I miss? Only way I could get a 2nd shot was to stand up and turn, when I did, he ran back to the left. I took the running shot at approx 40 yrds and he dropped. Climbed down and went over to gut my 3rd deer of the year. While gutting him I noticed two exit wounds about 4 inches apart. Took the deer home, skinned him out and called my hunting partner...Knowing he would not believe this unless he could see it...one (1) entry wound, two exit wounds. I had hit the deer with both shots. Honest guys, it really happened.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a great one for telling campfire storys. I can remember on several occasions listening to the story, not recognizing the particulars, wondering what next, along with others at the camp, then looking in amazment as my Dad looked to me for confirmation of the story as he was relaying some event from my life! Didn't have any idea what he was talking about!

I do like a well told story, PHC was the best.

Sacred cows make the best burgers.

Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great stories!We use to all get together too at deer camp every year and the old timers would get to telling stories and we would laugh so hard our sides would hurt!I looked forward to it every year.Some of them would get to telling nasty jokes that would make a hound dog puke too.We would have the best of times.They would be 25-30 hunters standing round the fire listening and talking bout the big un they was going to get and legend deer the folks had seen and shot at but never got.we always called them ghost bucks.They would never be brought out of the woods....I saw one one time,biggest deer i ever saw,28in.spread,12-14 points,running,couldnt get him in scope,let him go,Bad shot,wasnt ready,didnt shoot,he was never bagged!!every club member had seen him but no one could ever get a shot.....Iam sure he died of old age,if he wasnt a ghost allready!!He was a legend for sure.My whole family saw him one day while i was on stand a couple hundred yards away,they said he was chasing a doe in the front yard of our cabin we had in the woods.They named him big bones his rack was so huge!!!wife had wanted me to hunt the drive way and i horse laughed and said shoot i hunt harder than that!Wish i had listened that day!!!!!She said she could have shot it at 20yrds off the porch,she had even tried to run it off but it just stood there looking at her.i told her ,why didnt you go get the shotgun and shoot him yourself,she said she didnt think about it!I allways say... troll wave
Ghost bucks cant be killed!!!! jump

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK nobody wants to tellme any stories,so i will tell one more of my favorites and thats it!
It was the first time i ever deer hunted,A fellow at work told me opening dy was in the morning,lets go,he knew where some deer were.We got up the nextmorningand split up.I had a 16ga.singleshot and he had a 308 win.100 that was his dads.I knew nothing of deer hunting but had alsways squirrel hunted and couldnt stnad seeing so many easy shots.Soo after a few hours i decided it was time to get some squirrelies.i comencted to shooting upb the woods and made my way back to the truck.My friend had a fire built as it was very cold and was trying to get warm.I cleaned my squirrels by a brook by the fire and was putting them in the cooler for supper that night.My friend came over and asked me if he could have the squirrels liver out of the gut pile.I like to fell out.I said yea sure help your self!He sharpened a stick and cooked them over the fire and ate them lickty split!i have never witness this before or after but made dam sure i bought him a burger and frys when we got to the nearest burger doodle!Funniest breakfest i ever did see!Some of them good ole boys i grew up with were tough as nails!!!! jumpNow you guys tell me one!! wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shit myself once. I had just bundled up and geared up and went trotting into the woods. By damn, the "green apple quick step" hit me like lightening. I tried to relieve some of the pain by letting out some gas and I up and shat myself right there.

So, I pull down my pants and between the broad leaves and emergency toilet paper I clean myself up best I can.

So, I continue my hunt, because deer are attracted to strange smells, and end up smoking a deer with my Ithaca a few hours and miles later. I go to pull the tag out of my wallet, and by damn, my wallet is missing! I thought,"For fucks sake, I've been snooping and pooping (ha) around these woods for hours covering hundreds of acres, sitting here, leaning there, it could be anywhere"!

Then it hit me...it must have fell out of my pants when I was squating in the pitch dark while trying to wipe the ass-soup off my ass. Make a long story short, I haul my deer all the way back to where I thought I shit in the woods, and ended up finding that wallet near a greenish brown pile of "green apple quick step". I was so proud of myself...for finding my wallet!

Posts: 185 | Location: IL | Registered: 25 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just bought my AR-15 back in double 00'. Me and my coyote hunting friend went out to looking for coyotes all clad in snow camo. See, we could spot the coyotes sunning and sleeping on small inclines of the wide open, snow covered Illinois bean fields. We did this so much we were able to know if a dark spot belonged in a particular field.

Well we see four new dark spots in an area that was previously white, so we got to work. I hopped out with my new AR-15 and started my approach/stalk. My buddy stayed in the car and radioed any actions by the coyotes while I was busy crawling. Well, I get within 250 yds of the dogs, and they start a running. When they were out of accurate range, I fired a steady stream of supressing fire and then realized I could control the coyotes direction by firing a round in an expected path of travel and get them heading a different direction.

Those poor coyotes ended up running a huge 80 acre circle, under fire, having their every escape route blocked by puffs of snow. Until they start heading right towards me! I was completely white in camo, and they appeared to look right through me. As they were nearing me, I could see their tongues hanging out and they were tired. I thought, "Oh here they come, I get to smoke'em all! Well, as they got within 30-40 yards, with one running right at me, I place my sights on the incoming coyote and squeeze the trigg..."What, the trigger won't move"! Shit! I'm out of ammo!" I ended up shooting all my ammo while trying to turn the coyotes and I literally had to buttstroke the coyote that was bearing down on me out of prone position to keep it from running me over! Crazy damn dog must of thought the ground came alive!

Initially, I was pissed that I ran out of ammo and missed the shots, but then the more I thought of the debacle, the funnier it became to the point I was laughing in tears!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FURocious:
I shit myself once. I had just bundled up and geared up and went trotting into the woods. By damn, the "green apple quick step" hit me like lightening. I tried to relieve some of the pain by letting out some gas and I up and shat myself right there.

So, I pull down my pants and between the broad leaves and emergency toilet paper I clean myself up best I can.

So, I continue my hunt, because deer are attracted to strange smells, and end up smoking a deer with my Ithaca a few hours and miles later. I go to pull the tag out of my wallet, and by damn, my wallet is missing! I thought,"For fucks sake, I've been snooping and pooping (ha) around these woods for hours covering hundreds of acres, sitting here, leaning there, it could be anywhere"!

Then it hit me...it must have fell out of my pants when I was squating in the pitch dark while trying to wipe the ass-soup off my ass. Make a long story short, I haul my deer all the way back to where I thought I shit in the woods, and ended up finding that wallet near a greenish brown pile of "green apple quick step". I was so proud of myself...for finding my wallet!

Big Grin

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more...I was out hunting a state park for a deer reduction/doe only program in an area of Illinois I had never been to before. It was only the second year this was hosted and there weren't too many hunters out there. So I shoot few deer the first day, and a couple the next. The last deer I shot was miles from the truck. I got a little over zealos. Well, I'm plumb worn out carying the biggest doe I had ever seen/shot. I was really hoping/praying/wishing I would run into another hunter, because this deer was getting heavy.

Low and behold, a few minutes later I see blaze orange. The hunter walked up to me, looked at me, and then called my by my first name. I said" How they hell did you know my name, I'm sorry I don't remeber you". Get this, he replied, "Yeah, I met you about 7 years ago at the St. Louis MEPS!" (Military Entrance processing station) We were 18 years old and hung out for one day!

7 years prior, this sun of a gun was going into the Army while I was headed off to the Marine Corps and we paled around togther for the day we had to fill out final paperwork. 7 years later, out in the woods, this guy recognizes me right off the bat. When I was 18 years old my head was spinning in so many directions the day before bootcamp I probably didn't even get my own name right.

So, he helps me carry out my deer on a small sapling we cut down, and during the walk back we tell each other our war stroies and fill each other in about our respective 5 and 6 year tours.

HA amazing what the woods will bring!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cowboying Geese.

In my younger days, we had a term 'cowboying geese'. I don't know who came up with that term but it is what we called it, none the less.
Now, please don't hold this against me. Every one has a past. I shake my head as I can't believe some of the shit we used to do.

My hunting partner and I are crusing down this gravel road in the prairies. It was about 11:00 am and we were traveling to anouther area to hunt pheasants. Way up ahead there was a flock of geese. Around 150-200 birds. They( like usual, were out of shotgun range from the road.) We were suprised to see them because the area had little water and geese were rarely seen in these parts. Did not matter. Geese are geese.

Cowboying geese is the art of using your truck(or car) to close the gap on geese that are just out of shotgun range. And no other way to get closer, such as a stalk on the bald ass prairie. The procedure is to drive along like you are minding your own business and when the time is right drive down through the ditch (Without slowing down) and towards the geese. By the time geese realize what is going on, you are right on them. This method is highly effective and also highly illegal. (Don't try this at home)

Back to the story.

We are crusing down this road, in the middle of no where, happy that we were going to get a little goose hunting in. Wink( although it was odd seeing geese in the area) bewildered
It was a perfect set-up for cowboying some geese. thumb And that is what we did. We hit the ditch at about 60mph. Suprisingly, it was fairly smooth. Gaining speed, we were closing in on the geese, fast. As I am the door gunner, I am thinking this is going to be a good one. I am anticepating that the geese will rise any second and that is the best time to pick my birds. ALL OF A SUDDEN, this guy jumps up from his DECOY SPREAD!
Well, shit, I can tell you we did not stop to ask how the hunting was. It was everything, Joe(not his real name) could do to stop from running the decoys over. It was everything, I could do to stay inside the truck when it skidded sideways when, Joe did everything he could do to get us the hell out of there.(We damned near rolled the truck) Get the hell out of there is what we did.
It was the first time Joe and I had seen full bodied goose decoys. Red Face
Joe and I wondered, what the F--K was going through that guys mind when he saw that 4X4 with the rednecks in it, guns hanging out, coming at him at a high rate of speed. (please, do not answere this.) We were gratefull that he did not shoot the truck.

Like I said, I sometimes can't believe the stuff we used to do.

Campfire stories...

You asked.

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man you guys got some good ones!I laughed my head off on all of them! jumpI all most shot my friends turkey decoy like that one time, he was hid great and i didnt know he was in my area,and he just watched and snikered ,I had a bead on that bird till my arms fell off and when it never moved after 20minutes i figured something was up! homerI laughed all the way back to camp roflmao,wild bill came in later and laughed at me all day for allmost shooting his jake decoy!! nut
He said he kept waiting for me to blast that thing. beer