THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Foreigner needs advise for upcoming hunt in the US.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foreigner needs advise for upcoming hunt in the US.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to hunt Mule deer in Utah with a friend this fall. My flights are from Europe to Chicago and the on to Salt Lake City.
Now, I have read a few things about the TSA and want to make an effort not to get my self in trouble. I'll be bringing two rifles and they will be riding in a Tuffpack. My Tuffpack does not have a TSA lock. Should I get a TSA lock for my Tuffpack and install it before going or is that not nessesary? Should my ammo container wear a TSA lock or is a regular padlock ok? I have about five hours in between flights in Chicago, is that going to be enough (assuming no late arrival) to get through customs and on to my next plane?

My permit for temporary import of firearms in to the US is completed and in my hand. Any thing else I need to know or prepare?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a TSA lock. Otherwise, you run the risk of TSA cutting your lock off, leaving you with no lock. It has happened to me.

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
My experience flying with firearms in the USA is contrary to the post above. A lock that can only be opened by the owner is what I have always used, and the gun case is opened in the presence of the TSA agents, and then closed in their presence after inspection. For normal baggage a TSA lock is required. I have never had a lock on a gun case cut by either customs or TSA.

You will go through customs at the first port of entry and will have to have your belongings inspected there. Do not leave yourself a short connection time to the domestic flight, as this can take time when you have firearms. I would give myself 3 hours between an international arrival and a domestic departure.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
5 hours should be sufficient to get through customs. Can't help much with the rest, but want to wish you luck on your hunt here in Utah. Mature mule deer make for a very enjoyable hunt. Where/who are you hunting with?

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is between that of daniel745 and Wink. Use a non-TSA lock that can only be opened by you for your gun case, but use a TSA lock for your ammunition container. I had a non-TSA lock cut from my ammunition box once, and have changed to the TSA locks. On a trip to Namibia in July I found the note in my bag both ways that TSA had inspected my bag. I assume the x-ray showed it contained ammunition. I do not know if they opened the box, but the locks were fine.

Enjoy your trip to Utah. I hope you get to see a little of the country before or after your hunt. Utah is a beautiful state once you get away from the Salt Lake City area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A TSA lock on your rifle case would be in violation of TSA and Airline rules.

The lock on your gun case must be NON TSA.

The lock on the guncase must be such that it can ONLY be unlocked by the owner.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
A TSA lock on your rifle case would be in violation of TSA and Airline rules.

The lock on your gun case must be NON TSA.

The lock on the guncase must be such that it can ONLY be unlocked by the owner.

The above depends on the agent of the day. While I believe the rules do state that only the owner should have keys to the rifle case. So techincally a TSA lock is illegal. I have been told otherwide by individual TSA employees. I travel with both so I can be covered.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Klein,

My business is to send people to Africa. Use regular key or combo lock on your gun case, TSA lock on your ammo box and you'll be legal.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Anjin
posted Hide Post
Five hours in transit in Chicago should be plenty, barring very unusual weather. When I lived there, over 20 years ago, there was one occasion when I was riding on a business jet from Seattle, where an ice storm closed Chicago O'Hare and all airports east of Denver. We ended up turning back to Denver after getting almost to Chicago.

Mule deer season is not likely to encounter that, though.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer back in the US after 25 years and, having met a few of the bad guys and governments here and around the world, now focusing on private trusts that protect wealth from them. NRA Life Member for 50 years, NRA Endowment Member from 2014, NRA Patron from 2016.

Posts: 554 | Location: Sandia Mountains, NM | Registered: 05 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree fully with Dale, JTEX, & Mark.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks every one for your quick response. Now I know how to prepare to minimize the risk of mishaps.

I am hunting with Bucks and Bulls of Ogden Utah and the area to be hunted is called Guildersleeve. I am after a management mule deer and Mr D'Arcy Echols will be my hunting guide and travel companion in the US.

I sure am looking forward to this. Again, thanks every one!

Posts: 101 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Klein,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to add........ over and above the TSA issue...... I am guessing that the licence from the BATF for firearms is taken care of already or is that just for Canadians going hunting in the US? Thought I should stick this in here and enquire, just incase.

Possibly things have changed and I am unaware of it.......... and God knows that is possible. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Klien:
Other than landing in Chicago it sounds like you've gotten things well lined up.
Never knew Echol's to guide til this post though. He's a fantastic gun builder. Do you have any of his guns? IF not, you WILL take one home, or at least order one while with him. Want to bet?
Have a great hunt and do spend some time looking the country over while you're over here.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote