THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Will Weaver scopes hold up to recoil?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will Weaver scopes hold up to recoil?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wanting to try a Weaver Grand Slam scope on my 338 Ultra mag and would like input on it's reliability under recoil. I shoot about 60-100 rounds a week from now til' October.Thanks, Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim: It's your gun and you can do as you wish with it, but at what and why would you shoot a .338 Ultra as much as 1000 rounds over the next 10 weeks?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years and years ago I had a Weaver K4 on my trusty M70 Winchester, when I lived full time in Arctic Alaska and worked seasonally as a guide. it held up well to the punishment of being carried daily and shot often (7mm mag). Whether the present production scopes are as good or better, I can't comment. The only problem I ever had was some NYLON parts which SHRANK at -40F and stayed shrunk. Weaver replaced the parts with hand machined aluminum ones, and (to their credit) changed the production parts from then on.

Running that many rounds through such a rifle may not improve your marksmanship, if that is the intent.

Good luck though!

Posts: 324 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska USA | Registered: 10 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim--first off to answer your question--yes I do feel it will hold up just fine. So stay the course.

To the two posts b4 me--this is the kind of stuff that --well it kind of pisses me off. A fella asks a question,and we get answers like that I just don't get it.

So Stonecreek please tell me how your response answered his question?

It's his gun and if that's what he wants to do-then why in the heck would you comment like that!?

I can't for the life of me see how if a person practices 60-100 rounds a week he is not gonna improve. Yeah I know someone could be nervous around the gun and so on but trust me if they were nervous they would not keep this up! I am on my 4th tube on my 340--I shoot it a lot-many times just like Jim is talking about--trust me I am very capable with it!

I can't see how your responses were warranted! He asked about his scope not about whether or not you felt he could handle it!

Jeez guys quit judging,and if you have something to add from xperiece then by all means do so. If you don't have experience with said question hows about you keep your lil opinions/comments to yourself and set back and try to learn something. Or at the very least don't negative and judgmental.

Not that your responses honked me off or anything and not that you asked for this lil tirade of which I sort of apologize for but I just can't stand this kind of stuff! It seems like soo many people just gotta get these oh so subtle little jabs in.

So Jim use your gun shoot the heck out of it, take it to the hill and enjoy! The scope will be fine.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

[ 07-26-2003, 09:39: Message edited by: Mark R Dobrenski ]

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mark. I've used Weavers all my life, and they've always done well. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am just finishing extensive tests on a Weaver Tactical, (4.5x14 AO), w/ 1st focal plane mildot reticle. This scope is kind of a blend of the GS and the T series.

I have put this Weaver through hell and it has shined all the way.

One segment of the test involved 250 rounds of 300 grain 375 H&H. No worries - the scope repeats perfectly.

I wouldn't hesitate to mount a Weaver GS on any 338 or other medium calibre.

Regards,

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 338 Win Mag and used a Weaver Grand Slam 3X10 on it and it held up for 500 rounds and then lost the ability to hold a zero. Weaver repaired it quickly and for free, but it did die with relatively modest loads, 225 bullets at 2800 fps. I haven't remounted it yet but I've a 416 Rem Mag in the works and we'll see how it does on that gun for load developement.

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
First off, I tip my hat to you for wanting to practice so much for a hunt. By the time you have to use it that gun will come up like your right arm. I used an old Weaver K2.5 on my .416 Taylor for a year or so and recoil was not a problem. The last trip to the range I was trying some "longer range" shooting (100-175 yard) and noticed a lot of paralax movement. This is also an older scope ment for short range but it is the only experience with Weaver I have so hope it's usefulll. I'm sure the paralax is not a problem nowadays.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I shoot lots of paper and water filled ammo cans and jugs gor practice. I chronograph most of my loads and just in general enjoy shooting the 338 RUM. It does take a bit to master the recoil and I want it to be second nature when the dear/ bear/ elk happens along. I went through 700 rounds last summer/ fall with it and watch my 3 shot groups shrink then stay consistantly under 1 moa from a prone field shooting position. Worked up some loads today with surplus 860 powder and the 225 Hornady that show promise, a rather inexspensive load as well as I got the powder for $3.00 a pound...
Tom F not sure why you think my high round count may not help with my shooting skills? I lurk here a lot and understand there are a LOT of opinions, so no hard feelings taken from anyone.. Thanks again. Jim the Plumber

one of us
posted Hide Post
Using a new K4 on a 338 WM for the last year or so - 300 rounds - no problem - the Leupold 3X9 that was on this gun before had to be sent back when it went south. In frequent sessions at the range over the past year the Weaver optics are outstanding especially when I compare with a 3x9 Nikon Monarch and a 2X7 Leupold shooting on the same days. I have a large field behind my house (with deer) and I have taken all my big game rifles with the above scopes and compared them in the late evening( past legal shooting hours) sighting across the field into the shadows - I would never miss an animal because of the optics of the scope - the difference is marginal.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee, if you're the Jim the Plumber I know you certainly do shoot that much, and very well I might add. But the guy I know will have that bad boy traded off for something new after hunting season anyway [Wink] . Sorry haven't had any experience with the Weavers, wish I did.
Good Luck in your quest for a scope.
Jeff
ps.How's the house coming?

Posts: 101 | Location: WA | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
They will stand up until they break- just like any other scope- I have not seen any more problems with Weaver than any other brand.