New
Find
Notify
Tools

winchester 88 308
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the oppertunity to get a model 88, 308. What is a good price to get one for, and are they a good rifle? I was thinking about making it a 7-08. What do you think? Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
308 was the most popular cal. of the 88's Not much collectors value in that cal.
The post 64's (basket weave, oak leaf) stamped stocks were actually a better rifle than the pre-64's (other than the stock)
I have both a pre and post 64 88. The post 64 I had rebored to a 338-08, my 5 digit SN pre 64 is also a 308.
They are a great rifle with a lousy trigger. The stock design also makes the 308 feel like you're shooting a 300mag. Mine kicks the crap out of me, I find my 338mag easier to shoot off the bench.
All that said, I love the 88. It's easy to switch the safety around if you're a lefty, the action works like a fine piece of machinery, and I just love the looks of one.
Not knowing the year or the condition of the 88 you're looking at it could be anywhere from $450 to $650.
Good luck, I think they are great rifles.