THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Why I LOVE .30 cal. 150 grain Ballistic Tips at moderate velocities...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I LOVE .30 cal. 150 grain Ballistic Tips at moderate velocities...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

I am extremely particular about accuracy and bullet performance. Matching the projectile to the velocity range I am operating at and to the game being pursued is critical to success, particularly in the type of modest-velocity cartridges I use.

One bullet that has never let me down is Nosler’s 30 caliber, 150 grain Ballistic Tip. I’ve taken many hogs with it using a 20” .308 and a load that developed 2780 fps, and now I am having similar success in a couple of 30-30 AI Contender rifle barrels.

Complete penetration is generally the rule and not the exception, and if a hog doesn’t drop on the spot (as they often do), the blood trails are short and could be followed by even the most novice of hunters.

I took a large sow last night, and she made 25 yards downhill into a proverbial jungle of thorns, vines and scrub brush. But the blood trail was generous and told me the hog was definitely down and out.

And for those of you who aren’t familiar with wild hogs and how their heavy, mud-caked hides, layers of fat and compact anatomy can soak up an inadequate bullet like a sponge, let me assure you that these animals will definitely test a bullets mettle (pardon the pun) and performance-potential. I’ve used all sorts of bullets over the years, but for cartridges like the 30-30 AI, .300 Savage and short-barreled .308 Winchesters, I have the utmost in confidence in using the 150 grain Ballistic Tips. They’ve served me exceptionally well.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
I agree, the Nosler Ballastic tips are great bullets. I have been using the 165 grainers in my 30-06 for several years. Very accurate and a killer for deer and hogs. I love em too !

Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's all a fake. BT are too cheap to work that well.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One question, Bobby: where did you shoot the pig? Where are entrance and exit holes? The photos speak for themselves as to bullet performance.

I am just wondering...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Perry-

And these were even factory seconds to boot... Smiler

Doubless-

The bullet entered about 1/4th to 1/3rd the way up the vertical line of the foreleg and exited just behind the opposite-side shoulder on the slightly-quartering animal. The bullet destroyed the lungs and ruptured some major plumbing near the heart as well. The heart itself was intact as the bullet passed above it.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Oops...forgot...here is the photo of the hog.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! The spray told me you had gotten lungs, I just wasn't sure exactly where.

I typically shoot head or ear because that is the biggest part of a porker. I lost a sow years ago shot with a Grand Slam out of a .270, and to this day do not know how... she bled literally buckets of blood for about 40 yards and then it just quit. I guess I was too far back...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
Glad to see you felt good enough to get out. tu2

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait till you try the 120 grain ballistic tip in a 7mm08. It just doesn't get any better.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
M16-

I definitely agree. Back when I hunted with handguns almost exclusively, the 7mm 120 grain BT was one of my favorite projectiles. I used in in 7-08, 7BRs, TCUs and Waters, and I've even used it a bit in my 20" 7mm Bullberry carbine.

Some have recently reported that newer lots have changed, but I hope this is not the case. I do plan on finding out, however.

The "old" 120s actually used the jacket of the 140 grain BT trimmed back to appropriate length. That resulted in a bullet that not only opened well but afforded excellent penetration in a light-for-caliber projectile.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ted-

Thanks. It felt great to get the opportunity to pull the trigger. I did take a bobcat recently, but my time afield is a mere fraction of what it once was. But that makes me appreciate the time I do get even more.

Now if a good buck would just cooperate before the season ends... Smiler

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

This is a very apposite thread. I've just run into problems with my 18" 308 (suppressed). Best MV I can get out of it is 2,630fps with 150s. I've shot quite a few fallow with 150gr sierra prohunters. Performance is great out to just over 150yards but gets worse until 200yard deer almost don't react and 220yard deer are pretty much showing FMJ style exits.

I've bit the bullet (ha) and bought 100x 150gr BTs, will they expand down to 1900fps? While I treat 250yards as a general range limit there are very rare occasions where I approach 300yards. I also want to be able to use this rifle on reds which might approach smallish cow elk size. Is the 150gr BT up to that. I have 150gr partitions and am told their nose if fragile enough that they expand well at low velocities but wondered what your testing had showed.

BTW I was a great fan of BTs only moved to sierra on price. One BT I didn't like however was the 120gr 7mm. My lot bought in 2003 was a bit too expansive for me (and I like expansion). Bullets remaining in little roe deer on slightly quartering shots are generaly too limited in penetration for my liking.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 150 grain BT will indeed open down to around 1625-1650 fps, so it should work very well for you. The Partitons in 30 caliber will open down to around 1800 fps.

I used to use the Sierras quite a bit, but lately I have found that I could no longer count on any expansion from them below 2000 fps or thereabouts. Apparently something has changed in their production -- at least in the 150 grain Pro Hunters in 30 caliber and the 7mm 120 PHs.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those pictures are beautiful. You've made blood splatter into art!

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love 150gr Bts at 308 Winchester velocities. Very accurate and get the job done.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see you are able to get out Bobby. Great photo's and I have to agree with you on the ballistic tips at moderate velocities. They shoot out of my 270 very accurately. I used to load them for mule deer but every time I loaded them for long range shots, we ended up shooting one at 25 yards or less in the quakies. But at long distance where they get to slow down, or moderate velocities they work great. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote