Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mulie vs. Whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted
How about posting a few pics? Sounds fun...the kind of unique thing that drives us to head out and spend time in the field!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
There are usually programs like you need available for shareware/freeware, but one takes their chances with stuff like that. Sometimes the software with your camera will include some basic editing tools too, but usually only for the still photos.

Check with Microsoft for a driver/update to your moviemaker SW, it might be an addon to open .mov files. As a LAST resort, find someone with a Mac, Apple created the .mov format. 10Meg is not that big these days...I would download it, if you have a place to post it!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
We have pheasants, also. Generally in the same areas as the Mulies, but not quite.

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
No, cuz there are no mule deer where I live.

Must have been something to see.

Posts: 19235 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I took film footage of the deer with the digital camera. The format ( .MOV ) is not one I can edit. The file size is huge at 10 Meg, I can not figure out how to convert it to .mpg or another file type that can be edited on Windows Movie Maker.

Anyone with any advice on this? I also took footage of one of my Stags hell bent on ripping a small cedar tree out of the ground. They are in the middle of the roar now and it is a sight to see him and his 10 girlfriends.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any still shots.

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
The Mule Deer range in the Panhandle is odd. The populations are spotty. There are plenty of areas in the Panhandle that have no Mulies. North of me about 15 miles, you will not see a Mule Deer ... no way. Go East about 15 miles and that is the Eastern most edge of the Panhandle population.

There is an area West of Lubbock, close to the New Mexico border, that had some fantastic Mule Deer until they opened the season there. After the first year, I didn't hear much more about them. I have a funny feeling they shot out most of the good ones. Probably still some decent Mulie hunting areas there though.

Ours is the desert Mule Deer. We do not get the big antlers like the guys in the "West". Although, I have seen Mulies there that 99% of the guys on this board will trip over themselves to shoot. Me being one of those guys.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Sitting in front of the window of the cabin, drinking coffee, watching deer. Not a bad way to spend the morning.

I see a few Mulies and I put the spotting scope on them. Here comes a Whitetail buck. They start to spar.

Then they fight. I got my digital camera, attached it to the spotting scope and took some footage of the two fighting.

It wasn't an all out fight where antlers get broken, but it wasn't a casual spar either. There was some serious pushing and twisting going on. The "fight" lasted about 5 minutes, then they left my field of view, so they may have continued to fight ... not sure.

I have seen a Whitetail and a Mulie play around, but never anything more than just casually locking antlers together and a little pushing. Anyone else ever see this?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Muleys and Whitetails are seen in the same areas in ND as well. I took a buck a couple of years ago that was definitely a hybrid. I've been bow hunting the Muleys for several weeks now, but I can't seem to get close enough so far.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote