THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Where to go HOG hunting? Need loads too!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go HOG hunting? Need loads too!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any place near Ohio or Illinois where a buddy and myself can go HOG hunting? I live in Ohio and he is in Illinois. I've never hunted hogs before, but it sure sounds like fun so I guess I would be interested in a guided or semi-guided hunt. I prefer the fair chase method not using dogs.

I would also be using a Sako M75 in 30-06 or a TC Encore in 44 Mag. My buddy would be using a Winchester 30/30. Any recommended loads would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! [Big Grin]

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There are no free-ranging hog opportunities in those states. There are a number of preserves in Ohio which over fenced hunting; I'm not sure about Illinois.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Being in Illinois, I've checked... if there's any hog hunting, I've missed it in my searches.

I don't have my current copy of "Boar Hunter" magazine with me, but there are always ads in the back of places to go. Typically, you're usually looking at Tennessee and points south/southeast... or, of course, Arkansas and points south/southwest.

There is a GOOD place, Show-Me Safaris, where I am taking my .500 Linebaugh this next March, to hunt hogs with a few other folks. For me, this is only a few hours or so of driving. Mark Hampton runs that outfit and he's a very accomplished, world-traveled handgun hunter. He's a nice man. If this would work out for you gentlemen, give him a call.

Hog hunting is a rush; it's the cheapest grizzly bear hunt you'll ever take.

Mark Hampton
Show-Me Safaris
PO Box 108
Summersville, MO 65571-0108
(417) 932-4423

Russ

[ 12-04-2002, 02:20: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

what, approximately, should a day trip cost? Nothing fancy, just a guide who has some patience? Is that all on tips? If so, what is the standard for tipping?

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,
I have a place in Del Rio....2 day hunt for $399. and you can shoot all the hogs you see...I suspect in two days you will get from two to six hogs or more on a good two days, depending on weather, how hard your willing to hunt, includes guides and nice lodge...everybody gets hogs..If interrested then give me an email and I will put you in touch with the owner...

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
a great website for hog hunting information

Texas Boars .com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott, if you're already in Texas -- which you are -- I'd sure recommend Ray's Del Rio operation. I've wanted to take advantage of it for quite a while but, logistically, I just don't see pulling it off anytime soon. Since it's a lot closer for you than for me, I would contact Ray about it. Bang for buck, it's a good deal.

Tipping? Well, whatever you think the guy is worth. Don't bankrupt yourself to look like an impressive tipper. If you're not a neurosurgeon, don't tip like one. Also, a heartfelt "thank you" goes a long way, too.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just checked Mapquest and it's "23 hours, 56 minutes" from Silvis, IL, to Del Rio, TX. Day-amn. Nope, I think I've just got to figure on flying. I suppose San Antonio would be the desired airport. If you can drive the distance, Scott, I think you'd enjoy yourself.

Russ

<David Quick>
posted
Go to my website and find my site map. Near the bottom of the site map is a link to click on about boar hunting lodges. I have several listed, and can personally recomend a few...I live in Indiana, so the "difference" (distance) would be about the same for you. These are mostly in Tennessee, and are about a 7 to 9 your drive for me... Dave