Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Accubond performance question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

How has the accubond performed for you on deer?....Anyone used this bullet on deer; what has been your experience on game with it?

My dad used that bullet from his 338 RUM on a large-bodied Montana whitetail buck last year at close range. The deer was facing him and slightly above him. The bullet entered the front of the chest turning the vitals to pulp but then entered the spine and crunched it lengthwise for a long way before exiting the top of the back. It goes without saying, the deer dropped in its tracks.

You're seeing the bullet perform exactly how it was designed to perform--the front portion expands rapidly with minimal resistance and does a ton of damage...but the rear shank will stay together and keep going through the tough stuff. Very similar to the Partition.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You're seeing the bullet perform exactly how it was designed to perform--the front portion expands rapidly with minimal resistance and does a ton of damage...but the rear shank will stay together and keep going through the tough stuff. Very similar to the Partition.

Jon:
Glad to hear the back half remains intact on larger animals. So far I have not had an opportunity to try them on anything larger than the hog, so penetration was not an issue. From the damage caused immediately, I was wondering if the bullet was coming unglued. The only problem (if you can call it a problem) I ever had w/partitions was they act more like a solid on coyotes, especially at longer ranges. The accubond sure doesn't and if it stays together like it did for your dad, sounds like the best of two worlds.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 914 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just returned from Africa where I shot 13 animals with my 375 H&H and 260 grain AccuBond. Performance was definately outstanding, and there was never any question that they held together great. Only recovered 2 from my blue wildebeest, and they were double caliber expansion and 78% weight retention. Every other one was a pass-thru. Shots from 80 to 360 yards on springbok up to zebra and wildebeest, and took mostly all double shoulder shots on everything. Some head shots on cull kudu and gemsbok for meat, and spine shot on cull hartebeest that got bit by a mamba. The 375 was at 2700 fps, so performance should be close to the 338.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote