THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Idaho muzzleloader elk area recommendations

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho muzzleloader elk area recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted
I was hoping to get some guidance from the Idaho elk hunters. My brother and I are planning to visit Idaho for some elk hunting during muzzleloader season. From what we've been able to learn from the regs, licenses & tags can be bought over the counter. There are a number of units in the central part of the state that have ML seasons for bull and/or antlerless (either is fine w/ us.) Any recommendations on areas. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
unit 39. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Idaho Ron. Unit 39 (Boise River Zone) is a good area for muzzlelaoder elk season.

Good luck.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
IdahoRon & Leanwolff,

Thanks for your recommendations.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be advised it's an antlerless only hunt.

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
That's OK. This is a meat hunt, so a nice fat cow would be just fine.

Regards,
Brian

NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brianbo:
I was hoping to get some guidance from the Idaho elk hunters. My brother and I are planning to visit Idaho for some elk hunting during muzzleloader season. From what we've been able to learn from the regs, licenses & tags can be bought over the counter. There are a number of units in the central part of the state that have ML seasons for bull and/or antlerless (either is fine w/ us.) Any recommendations on areas. Thanks in advance for your replies.

I heard theres no elk in Idaho, the wolves ate them all. Plus if there are elk, they are small and not good eating. Big Grin

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
I heard theres no elk in Idaho, the wolves ate them all. Plus if there are elk, they are small and not good eating. Big Grin

Yes, I am sorry to report, they are all gone.

Last official count was 12. (11 of 'em were headed to Washington and the other one for Nevada....) beer

We went 3 for 3 last year in unit 8-- mostly private land however----but those dry cows are tasty! Got one August 5, one September 5 and 5x5 around the 18th of October.....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
where is a good bull unit, eastern idaho preferably, I don't care if the odds kinda suck. I just wanna start putting in for more states, because the odds of drawing a tag in utah suck

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cummins Cowboy, in the s.e. part of Idaho, the Tex Creek Zone is good for bull elk. You can contact Id. F&G and get a copy of the regs.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote