Find
Notify
Tools

Routt National Forest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
I am planning a trip to Colorado during the Oct. 16-24 season. I have been planning to go to GMU unit 4 in Routt National Forest. Any help as far as trailhead names would be greatly appreciated. I have never hunted this area. I usually drive the truck as far as I can, park at a campsite / trailhead and then walk in on a horse trail. Any help would be great.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Born,

I don't know that Unit at all, and surely you will get some help from others here, but it seems you took a heck of a shot in the dark! I know its hard to scout from Kentucky, but you should do some serious research on the area before you head this way. I have a rule of thumb: It takes 5 years to really learn a new hunting area. Please do some discovery before you come, then you will have a much safer and more enjoyable time!

Posts: 596 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I hear ya! I'm coming in with some friends...kind of a last minute thing, but I'm not so sure they will want to walk with me if you know what I mean. I don't mind putting miles on my feet. They are great guys, but they are just glad to be there...they really don't mind going home empty. However, they have taken some nice bulls in this area. They say they see a lot of game.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote