Find
Notify
Tools

Texas wildfires
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
'Just got on a lease last fall, south of Ozona, Texas with a friend that has been on it for over 20 years.

The first fire burned roughly 1/2 the place, camp and ranch house were prepped and protected by volunteer fire fighters. They fought it for about a week.

I went out and tried to help, moved vehicles, etc. My blind was on the far side and wasn't hit. I swear I wasn't smug about it, but you know what happened with the second fire.

Man this country wasn't what you'd call pretty before the fires. Now it looks like just under 10,000 acres has been napalmed. And that's just this lease, there are multiple ranches of roughly the same size around it burned to a crisp.

Doesn't look like any chance for rain is in sight. Pray for west Texas, if you're so inclined.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that, Hope you guys get some rain soon.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your fire! Got a ranch in Junction and we had a pretty bad fire just south of us that fortunately didn't get to us, but it sure had me nervous! Haven't had any rain to speak of either so if you're prayin' please mention the Hill Country too.....it's dry as a bone!!

Good luck Cazador!

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to make a trip from Laredo to San Angelo about a month ago. The countyside on the entire drive didn't look too good but it looked really bad from Uvalde to San Angelo, especially south of Rocksprings. We do need some rain.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure wish I could send a lot of this rain we have been getting here in the worthless nut state. In April we had 25 day of rain and in the last 2 days I wouldn't doubt but that we got another 1.5" of this damn wet stuff today.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the longer term, fire is the best thing that can happen to that country. It gets rid of the invader species of worthless brush and lets the more productive grass and forbs come back. Now all you need is a rain -- besides, you probably wanted to build a newer, better stand, anyway!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Tthinking the same thing Stonecreek. Some good rain and a couple of years and there should browse everywhere.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
In the longer term, fire is the best thing that can happen to that country. It gets rid of the invader species of worthless brush and lets the more productive grass and forbs come back. Now all you need is a rain -- besides, you probably wanted to build a newer, better stand, anyway!

The only indication of an "invasive species" Big Grin I see in those pictures are the metal frame and tin laying on the ground. The rest of it looks like typical Permean basin country and alot of west Texas for that matter.

With a little rain, it will all look pretty much the same as it did before the drought, the same brush will be just a little greener. With a lot more rain it will look like it did in the previous 2 years, another tinder box waiting for a match to be lit.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I expect that all the game would have run ahead of the fire, and left the area.
With no rain to spur new growth, is there going to be a worthwhile amount of game returning before hunting season. Without new grass etc, seems there would be little to no food for game.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
No hunting this fall, just lots of "prayerin'" for rain. May be little to no hunting next year also.

I'm sure most of the game got out of the way, but I was looking forward to piddling with water and some feed for the blue quail and a few bob whites. I'm sure them little 'ol feet played out before they got ahead of the fire, maybe not.

The metal frame and tin is already cleared away and everyone is supposed to clean up their own shortly. Just the cedar is invasive, but I'm sure it too will pop back with the slightest amount of moisture. ('Hate the stuff, but it does provide cover.) Very few other invasive species and they usually keep walking north.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Tough deal Kent... sorry man. I hope all of Texas gets some rain soon. I have some great friends in Ozona. I will have to give them a call and see how they are faring.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote