Find
Notify
Tools

Dilemma: Which 338 is right for me?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
Here's the problem: I already have a 300WinMag that I can shoot well. It shoots heavy premium bullets with great accuracy. Most people here would agree (I think) that this is the prudent minimum for big bears.

But maybe I want more than the minumum. So I'm thinking about a 338, and I want something that's a big enough power increase over the 300WM to justify the expense. I don't think th 338WinMag will be enough. Also, I need it to be a LEFTY bolt action. I'd considered a 375, but that is a minumum in Africa so I'll eventually buy a 416 making a 375 unnecessary (this is purely budget-driven, not a cut on 375 fans).

This leaves me with a dilemma. How about a Remington a 700LSS in lefty 338RUM? Could I put together a rifle on Lazzeroni's 9.09 Eagle for less than I could buy it from Lazz?

I'm just looking for some advice because I'm sure there's a ton of things I have not thought of.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Just keep your 300, buy a 416 now, and make both the 338 and 375 unnecessary.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto to what Cas said. Get a 416 in any flavor, learn to shoot it, and don't look back.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well yeah, that's true but the .338 Win IS enough gun.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same decision to make (being left-handed) and ended up with a 338 Win Mag Savage 116 SAK and am having a 416 built on a Montana 1999 action. While the Savage isn't the prettiest rifle made the accuracy is outstanding. I was leary of the Remington Ultra Mag version for ammo availabilty reasons, I reload but there's always the chance of loosing the ammo in route. My rifles are hunting tools, pretty ones are nice, unusual calibers neat, but when I start hunting in far away places I must be able to make them go bang when needed. The 338 Win Mag shoots flat enough and has more than enough power at reasonable ranges, under 400 yards, to deal with big game animals.

[ 03-30-2003, 16:58: Message edited by: Lewis50 ]

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to buy a .338 caliber rifle tomorrow,I'd buy either a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe or Accumark in 340 Weatherby Magnum.That's my personal preference though as I like Weatherby rifles and the 340 appeals to me.

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have lots of choices if you want more power than what the .338WM offers, but keep in mind that the .338WM is perhaps the most popular cartridge in Alaska where most of the largest game in the US exist. The .30-06 and the .300WM are also very popular up here. These three cartridges leave all others behind in popularity, by a wide margin. Even here in Alaska where things are expensive, a bag of 20 cases for the .338 costs around $9.00. Bullets for it are slightly higher in price over the .300WM, and the same for factory ammo.

In my opinion, a .338WM, and one of the .416's for the biggest and meanest game would be a perfect combination. The .416 is a powerhouse with heavy bullets, and with 300-grain bullets it is meaner than the .375 H&H, and flat shooting. But if you already have a .300WM and don't want to get rid of it, a .375 H&H would be a good choice. There is plenty of ammo for both.

[ 03-30-2003, 23:17: Message edited by: Ray, Alaska ]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
Just but the 416. If you have a 300 now I wouldn't bother getting a 338 unless you just want to own another gun.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I have a Dumoulin bolt action 338 WinMag, with the 250 gr. loads I can't think of anything in NA that I would not be comfortable hunting out to my maximum shooting ability around 300 yards. If you think you need more power I would consider a 375 or 416 also rather than one of the RUM's etc. For normal range hunting, with the larger bores you get the advantage of more bullet, rather than just speed with it's associated recoil and muzzle blast. If long range hunting/shooting is in the mix then maybe something like the Lapua, Lazzroni or other super 338's would be the ticket.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
I'm a little surprised by some of the responses. I thought for sure I'd get lots of encouragement to go for a big 338. Maybe I will if I ever have enough disposable cash laying around. For now I'll take the advice and forget the 338. Like I said, my 300WinMag shoots the heavy stuff very well.

A 416 would indeed be a wise next step, though many years off. Thanks all.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
There is a used never fired Remington 338 Ultra mag on the shelf in the gun shop I frequent for $495.00 bucks. Since one box of twenty factory rounds cost $64.95 I can't see any advantage over my 300 Winchester magnum rifle. That rifle has been there for over a year and no takers. I considered buying it as collectors item with no intention of shooting it. I think the 338 Ultra Mag is not a good seller at least in my neck of the woods. Wonder how well it would stack up against the 30-378 Weatherby case if it were necked to .308 diameter. Might be an interesting custom rifle to build.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally , I like the concept of the .338 RUM . For NA use , it could do any of the work a .300 , .338 , or .375 could do , while shooting very flat .

Or you could duplicate hot end .338 loads with moderate pressures. Ammo availablity should not be a problem in NA .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SempreElk
posted Hide Post
Yep although the 300 win mag with 200 grain bullets is formidable...I would rather have the increased frontal area and the additional 50 grains of bullet weight that a 338 win mag offers. I heard no one here posting about 338 HE ammunition. That would get pretty darn close to 340 weatherby/338 rum speeds and the factory ammo would be cheaper. Awful lot of used never shot 338 rums on the market...Hmmm must be a good reason.

Posts: 1779 | Location: Southeast | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .270win and a .338win as my 2 gun N. American big game rifle battery. If I were to add a Dangerous game rifle it would be one of the 416's.

.338win with heavy for caliber bullets is a different beast than any .30cal, be assured (when talking about dangerous game ie: big bears).
You could go to a .375H&H, great cart. I wouldn't though. Too much over lap with the .416 you will want for stuff that can kill you.

So get the .338 and sell the .300, then get a .270 or 7mm of some sort. [Wink] I might be a little biased in my opinions [Big Grin]

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote