THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    270/130 Partition on blackbear, then what about this?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270/130 Partition on blackbear, then what about this?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
If you would use a 270 Win and the 130 partition on a black bear, per my other thread, then what about this combo:

110 Barnes TTSX over a stout charge of either H4350 or IMR4350, up to 200 yards? Probably get a little extra velocity due to the 25.5" Hart barrel.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Doc, now I think you are going backwards...

The 130 will hit harder at just about any range and the extra 20 grains are going to be benificial when you hit him.
This will still kill but I think you are handicapping yourself.

cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3074 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I'm not going to move backwards on this. I just wanted some thoughts. Reason being is there are those who have, or would, kill a bb with a 243, and other smaller calibers.

So, if a 130 Partition from a 270 is considered more than adequate, then I wonder what the difference of 20 less grains of bullet wt would make to some, even though the velocity would be more. Just fertile grounds for discussion.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Yeah I hearya,

My father had to have back to back rotator cuff surgery in the 80-s and recoil he could not tolerate much of after that.

His rifle of choice after he healed up was the .243 Win. I saw him roll Deer, Elk and bear with it using solid base reloads... Never a hitch.

But he was an exceptional shooter with alot of patience, and he used it out of nesessity and not because he wanted to how small he could get away with.
All calibers have a sweet spot as far as what bullet they shoot most effiently. I think the 130 is the lower of the spectrum and the 150 is at the top of the spectrum.
When it comes right down to it I prefer the 140gr but I buy all my componente in bulk and that is not one i can find to purchase at reasonable prices. So 85% of my shooting and hunting is done with the 130 grain Rem or Win lead bullets. The other 15% is done with 140 and 150 grain bullets.

JMHO

cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3074 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc

A few years ago I killed a five hundred seventy six pound black bear boar at two hundred yard with a 115 grain Nosler Partition out of a .257 Weatherby Magnum. The bullet went in the left shoulder (bear was facing toward be) and traveled the whole length of the bears body (6') and lodged under the hide in his right rear. The bullet worked perfect and the bear never knew what hit him. My point is the .257WM and .270W are close in performance.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You get the same answer as before. Do not shoot that combo unless your knives are sharp and you have space in your freezer.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
This is what I like about these discussions...all of the different experiences. It's quite beneficial I think...both pro and con.

Curiously, I was talking to an outfitter who guides in northern Manitoba. This was in 2005. I cannot remember who he was but I got his website from a show on the Outdoor Channel so I decided to call and discuss his baiting methods and why there were so many bears per bait.

He brought up the problem of bears coming into camp at night and how he had to dispatch one, a very big one, one night as it was becoming a problem bear. His camp rifle was a 22LR. He stated emphatically that punching a hole, even one so small, in a bears lungs will kill it and usually rather quickly.

You can imagine my surprise hearing this information. He was very matter of fact about it and said that the bear died inside of 40 yards.

My curiosity isn't founded on what will kill, but how quick. I have no interest in tracking a bear unless I bow hunt them. Even then, the ones I've killed with my bow never made it more than 20 yards. One ran about 15, started up a tree, got about 10 feet up and died mid fall. Never flinched once it hit the ground.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc you have to go out and shoot some dam bears and be done with it.

How about I kill some with a spear a knife ect then we can talk about blade size and handle length.

Back in the 30's and 40's my dad and uncle used a 22 to dispatch bears the caught in traps. woopee.

Go kill so bears.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

Go kill so bears.

I'm going to, and I can't wait! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dead bear

During the 2006 hunting season I shot a bunch of deer with that same combo minus the "tipped" part of TTSX.

Chrono'd at 3250fps.

The same thing happened to to all those deer that happened to all the deer I have shot with 130 and 140gr bullets.... They died.

I did recover two of the 110gr TSX's. They penetrated the whole length of the deer and ended up in the off side necks. Perfect expansion and both weigh 109gr.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I personally don't think you'll have problem shooting a bear with the .270/110 TTSX combo. (T)TSX penetrate like nothing, and it is fine to go a notch lighter in bullet weight.

In fact, I think this will become all the rage in the years to come. Witness the slew of new "ultra velocity" factory loadings with very light (TTSX) bullets. Most hunters will be fascinated by the gains in velocity, and the ammo will be lethal because of the TTSX' ability to penetrate and hold up at high velocity.

Where I think you might miss out, is in ability to perform in wind.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
...110 Barnes TTSX ...
rotflmo

All the Inadequate Cartridge folks should be for it - I'm still not.

When things "occasionally" go wrong, the shot is a bit tougher than anticipated or the angle just isn't what it appears to be, the well placed Larger and Heavier Bullet can often get good results when the weenie Bullets just wound. BOOM
-----

They still make Wrist Rockets. Of course I suppose that would be tooooo much for some folks. They could remove the surgical tubing, replace it with tiny rubber bands and Load it up with one #12 Lead Shot. rotflmo

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I wasn't keen on the 130, really not keen on lighter bullet.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when you get into trouble with that light load and 270--Don't call me for backup.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a quick video of a 257Wby with 120 Partitions at 165 yds and a black bear.

http://sports.webshots.com/video/3040016840039751215eWYXhJ

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tundragriz:
Here's a quick video of a 257Wby with 120 Partitions at 165 yds and a black bear.

http://sports.webshots.com/video/3040016840039751215eWYXhJ

Nothing happens when I click play. I waited to see if it would play on its own and it did not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... You might try refesh but webshots does act funny sometimes. Try this link to photobucket.

I'll also try this one in case the above doesn't work.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v67/tundragriz/?actio...current=QuikBear.flv

Posts: 178 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
photobucket worked. Thanks! Did the bear stay down?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what you saw was the end! Went in through the center of the chest, took off the top of the heart and broke the back between the shoulders.

I was by myself and was able to rest the camcorder on a low hanging tree right next to the gun as I shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc-make no doubt about it, I'd do it with a 110 TSX as well!

Slam dunk, one dead Mato!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote