THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Self Guided Elk Hunt in the US/Canada for a Foreigner

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Self Guided Elk Hunt in the US/Canada for a Foreigner
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you can't beat em join em!

Is it possible for a non US resident to buy a tag, rent a cabin or a tent and go and look for an elk to shoot by himself and/or with a friend?

Idealy with Low hunter density, ie none seen in a week, Elk to see but no need for trophies just an elk of any sex.

If self guided is not legal how about semi guided eg 'Here's the area see you in 7 days?'

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Just trying to picture loading an elk into a roesack.....:-)

Seriously, god only knows how you get the carcass outif you're hunting onm your own...

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Colorado has open public land hunting, and over the counter tags for elk. This year you should be able to get a tag for either sex OTC. All the rest of the elk states are drawing only, and the deadlines have all come and gone this year I believe. You can check out the Colorado Dept of Wildlife website, also a good resource is, www.elkcamp.com. As far as recovering an elk from anywhere in the wilderness, it's just one piece at a time. they are somewhat larger than roe [Big Grin] Good hunting!

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops I forgot the hoss! It would be with a friend.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
1894, not too hard at all. If you don't want to see other hunters, it means going into wilderness areas ("wilderness" is a specific, legal designation here). There are a lot of areas where the tags are either sex, and long seasons.

In that situation, I'd contact a outfitting service about arranging a dropcamp. Should be about $600-$1,000 bucks a head. That means you get the ride in, a camp with food, and a ride out with your game. Not a bad deal, at all.

My choice, however, would be to put in for the lottery in a couple of trophy areas, and then get a drop camp arrangement in one of those areas after you draw. Not too hard. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be a reasonable trip to take. Co. has a lot of tags and a lot of public land. The part about getting away from people might be a little tough for just that reason. If you are still considering a hunt like this next year send me an email. I have a friend that has 100,000 acres of private land that could probably be talked into letting you hunt. Lots of elk- few real trophies.

Great country and I am certain that you would see noone in a week or 2.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post

Idaho has just over 1000 non-resident elk tags still available for the Panhandle region (northern). Season opens on October 10th, with either sex starting on the 15 for some number of days (I don't remember how long, off hand).

There are several designated wilderness areas within the Panhandle that more or less assure you of an uncrowded hunt. I will set up a base camp about a 3 mile hike in from the last gravel road and will hunt into the wilderness from there.

You can carry an elk out (in pieces, of course!) if you are physically blessed, take the time to get in great shape, and have time. If not, the post above mentioning a packing or drop camp service is the way to go. If I am so fortunate as to drop a bull 5 miles from the car, rest assured I will not be carrying any bones out! And if, God forbid, I come up lame between now and October, my hunt will be quite different from what I have planned.

The biggest challenge you present yourself is the need for low hunter density. If you are hunting public land and you want to be sure of low density, you either need to really know the areas to choose (like a local would know the small, secluded areas), or you need to go someplace really hard to get to (ie wilderness). Now some folks can reasonably argue that you don't need wilderness to be alone, and they are correct. But they know where to go. You and I, as foreigners in a strange land, don't. Maybe a poster can share a secret, secluded yet easy to get to spot that they know of!!

I live in Richmond, VA and will be spending basically a whole day on 4 flights (Richmond, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Spokane) and in a car to get to my trailhead. You aren't much worse off than me!!

You can do this!! We'll help...

Tim

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Can't do it in BC....

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Dale>
posted
You can also buy a general season license in either "any bull" or "spike only" areas over the counter. The application period is open now for "antlerless" permits. You need to hurry for that, as it closes June 17, but you can apply over the internet with a credit card.

one of us
posted Hide Post
not legal in alberta

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Take a look at:

http://www.jacksonholewyoming.net/elk/links.html

Seems to be alot of info with regards ELK hunting and some useful links too..

Regards

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dale>
posted
In my earlier post I forgot to say that the state is Utah. We have drawings for trophy bull areas and for antlerless permits. You can buy a general season permit for either "any bull" or "spike only" over the counter. We have some good hunting if you are willing to walk back in to get away from the crowds. I have packed the last 5 out on my back - it takes 3 trips.

<Ranger Dave>
posted
Not legal in Manitoba. I do think anywhere in Canada you can do such a hunt.

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
1894:

If you are interested in Colorado, drop me an e-mail, and I'll try to point you in some less crowded directions. Would you be interested in trading some unofficial guiding in Colorado for elk, for a similar deal in the UK on one of the various deer species you guys hunt?

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As the other Canadian posters mentioned, there aren't any western provinces you can do this in. However, you can hunt in Alberta with a local as a temporary guide (used to be called a class C guide license, I'm not sure if it still is, I'll have to look in the game regs). Basically, you just go hunt with a local that you've arranged this with. There are restrictions on the license, otherwise everyone would do this and the pro guides would lose some business. I'll have to check the details and let you know. On the other hand, once you're here and if you're willing to go into the backcountry (which is a big chunk of country hereabouts), you can pretty much guarentee low hunting density. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote