Find
Notify
Tools

prong horn hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a friend at work who has a 300 WN mag
and wants to go after pron horn out west (we are from Wisconson)and he asked me what i would take and i told him 25-06 and he was thinking about a 243. i also told him the 300 mag may be ok with the right bullet but a little over kill there.what do you out west
hunters think? thank you all for the replys good shooting

[This message has been edited by grandpao (edited 02-13-2002).]

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pronghorn aren't very big.

The 25-06 is just about perfect. Leave the heavy artillery home.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noting wrong with any of the three choices for Antelope. Pick the one you shoot the best and practice with it - shooting off the ground. Also recommend selecting a bullet with a higher BC - to buck wind on the plains.
I would not buy another gun for Antelope if I had a good shooting 300 Win Mag.
I shot one with a 338 Hawk and 210 grain bullet - a bit overkill but it worked well. Then I used the same gun the next day on a Mule Deer.
All that said anyting in between/including 6mm and 7mm is almost a perfect match. If I needed an excuse for another gun just for Antelope it would be a 25-06 with a 24" barrel.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I used an 06' the first time I went for antelope, and a 7 Mag the second time. My two hunting partners used a .243, an 06 and a 25-06.
My friends 25-06 was the worst performer, but I think it was the bullets used. They just seemed to pass right through the antelope and never opened up. It took 4 hits before finally dropping.

A lot depends on the kind of shooting you want to do. I personally ENJOY taking LOOONG shots so I'll stick with a flat shooting rifle. My two buddies really enjoy the "STALK" and try to get to within 150 yards, so for them, almost anything will do, but they lean towards the .243

hope this helps

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot pronghorn with everything from a pellet gun (in my misguided cowboy youth) to a 375 H&H...I shoot them behind my house with a 6x45 MM and a 25-35 Win during the early part of the season if I draw....late season would call for a 25-06 or a 300 as a rule. They get a little ouchie late in the season...

If I was comming all the way out west and paying non-resident license and using a guide I would definately bring the flatest shooting rifle that I could shoot well.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<k wood>
posted
They would all work very well, keep in mind the shots can get a little long. I haven't shot a lot of pronghorns but I've shot and seen several shot and they seem a little tougher to put down that I expected.

<Dale>
posted
My favorite antelope rifle is the .25-06. I shot 4 or 5 antelope with the 100 gr. partition, and have killed 10 or 12 with the 115 gr. partition, which is about the only bullet I use now. (It has also been a good deer load). I have also taken some with the .270 and 7mm Rem., and some with a Contender in 7-30 Waters and 6.5 TCU. They are not hard to kill as long as you have good bullet placement. I would feel comfortable with your .243, .25-06, or .300 - just pick an accurate, flat-shooting load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the 300 magnum, although it's bigger than needed. Lots of 243 shooters on the sagebrush flats, and the 25-06 is among the best-suited rifles for antelope. Accurate shooting is important; it is good to bring enough scope and shoot a few before leaving camp ( humidity changes sometimes bend a stock out of shape ).

Tom

Posts: 14628 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ray, accuracy before anything. My wife shot hers with a 6PPC last year, with Gerards 62 gr. HV. Dropped it like a stone. Accuracy, good bullet, lots of long range practice. If I draw, it'll be the 7mag, cause that's what I shoot best. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You want a rifle with a bit of reach whatever calibre. Don't fall into the light for calibre bullet at smoking speeds trap. A friend of mine used a 30-338 (we were on our way elk hunting)with a 150gr bullet and bragged about his fps. The resulting antalope was disgusting to look at. We talked him into using 180's and the result was no more damage than say a .270.
I have used a 7-08, .270, .280, 30-06, 7mag and a .300win. In every case I used a well constructed, medium to heavy for calibre bullet and while the goats may have been a little deader than they needed to be, the meat damage was small.

[This message has been edited by beemanbeme (edited 02-12-2002).]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Bruce Gordon>
posted
With Antelope being classified as only slightly higher than vermin out west, it would sure seem like a waste of good money to actually buy a new rifle just to shoot one. Personally I enjoy them, but farmers seem to have a different viewpoint.
I remember the last time we took a road trip to Wyoming to visit my grand parents, we quit counting antelope at 700+. My grandpa always used a 243 to fill his tags and they always tasted just fine to me. Much better than beef.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a bunch with my #1 .25-06; it works just great. I use the 120 gr. hp Hornady. The fun with antelope is in the hunting. Get a mile or two away from the nearest road and stalk them. Unfortunately if you are on public land it is very hard to get away from the @$#* idiots and their atv's, 4wd's etc.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CGB:
Get a mile or two away from the nearest road and stalk them. Unfortunately if you are on public land it is very hard to get away from the @$#* idiots and their atv's, 4wd's etc.
C.G.B.

I noticed in the New Mexico regs that it's illegal there to drive any vehicle off-road for pronghorn hunting except to retrieve downed game.

Any New Mexicans care to comment on how well that restrictions work in practice?

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Frazer, I can't say about New Mexico, but in Colo and Wy, one of the favorite methods that the locals use is to pen the goat(s) against a sheep fence and chase them with their trucks until the animals are exhausted and cannot run further. Then they shoot them from the window of the truck.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beemanbeme:
John Frazer, I can't say about New Mexico, but in Colo and Wy, one of the favorite methods that the locals use is to pen the goat(s) against a sheep fence and chase them with their trucks until the animals are exhausted and cannot run further. Then they shoot them from the window of the truck.

Yes, I've read of this despicable practice.

Undoubtedly this is why NM passed its law (or reg, whichever it is).

John Barsness has an interesting article about the decline of pronghorn hunting in the current Rifle.

I've never been but have wanted to for a long time. But I'm going to look carefully for a good place...

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pronghorn are fragile animals, and even a toenail shot will bring them down.

The primary issue is being able to hit your target at 300-450 yards. I would not hesitate to use a 300 win mag, and 130 to 150 grain non-premium bullets will be great. So will the 25-06 with 100 or 120 grains. And so will the 243 with 85-100 grains. There just isn't a bad choice in that group.

But bring an extra 50 rounds of ammo with you for practice, and some big targets, get ahold of a big piece of cardboard like a box that bicycles come in, and practice a few shots at 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 and 450 yards before you start to hunt. It is quite enlightening to go through that exercise.

If you have a laser range finder, BRING IT.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and bring your coyote call so that you have something to do after you shoot the antelope.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<PWN>
posted
I shot my one and only antelope on a hunt near Valentine, Texas with a 300 Win Mag loaded with 180 grain Partitions. The range was just a bit more than 300 yards. The rifle and load did a wonderful job of killing the critter, but by placing my shot through the shoulders I had to find another cape for my mount. I would use my 300 again, but place my shot just a bit farther back this time. As an aside, a young lady I was hunting with killed her huge goat using a Colt Sauer 243 from about 80 yards with a high lung shot.

Perry

<Daddy2B8162>
posted
I like the 300 mag or 7mm mag, depends on how I fell. I load the 300 with 165 nosler BT's. The accuracy is excellent out of my Browny A-Bolt. With the 7 mag, I shoot 139gr Hornadys. Again, this was the best out of my gun. With goat hunting, most of the time, it will be long range shooting...500gr, I like your idea with the box, but I prefer milk jugs full of water myself !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Beemanbeme, the only time I ever saw anyone doing that was some pricks from Colorado. Don't blame the "locals" for something you never saw.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beemanbeme:

beemanbeme,
That is bunk. I have killed about 30 antelope and have been in on at least that many more kills. I have lived in Wyoming of & on since 1984. I HAVE NOT seen people do it that way nor do I do it that way. You seem like a pretty nice guy but that comment is very offensive. I do confess I like sucking them off their feet with a .300 mag.

Best Wishes,
WyoJoe

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rickt300, leave it to a texican to open his mouth before he puts his brain in gear. Read my post to wyjo.

wyjo, sorry if your feelings are hurt but truth is truth. I've been hunting wyoming since before you moved there and I have seen it numerous times. I think it is a terrible practice and a very bad reflection on all hunters. I certainly wouldn't "make it up" just to boil the pot. If you check with the DNR headquarters in Cheyenne, you know, right there off the xpressway, you'll find they issue citations yearly for this dispecable practice. Apparently they still have a few outlaws in Johnson County.

<sure-shot>
posted
I have 8 pref points for Colorado antelope, anyone know of a good unit with bookers?

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by sure-shot:
I have 8 pref points for Colorado antelope, anyone know of a good unit with bookers?

If I had that many preference points I would have hunted north of Craig 3 years ago, would have earned another 3 preference points since then, and would have a nice mount of an antelope on my den wall.

I think this would be units 3-5 but just north and west of Craig would be the spot. There are lots of large antelope in this area as just to the north is the Red Desert of Wyoming (Baggs, Dad), also a good source for good sized bucks.

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by grandpao:
i have a friend at work who has a 300 WN mag
and wants to go after pron horn out west (we are from Wisconson)and he asked me what i would take and i told him 25-06 and he was thinking about a 243. i also told him the 300 mag may be ok with the right bullet but a little over kill there.what do you out west
hunters think?

One thing no one mentioned yet is the wind in Wyoming. My father (born in Laramie) used to tell me that it was only windy in wyoming because Nebraska really sucked. The wind will play havoc with a lightweight .243 though this is generally a suitable cartridge. Given the choice I'd favor the .25-06 with 100 gr. bullets as this is just about perfect for antelope given their size and the prevailing Wyoming conditions. The 300Win also works, I've used it. It's just that with light, fast bullets (like the Nosler 125 gr. BT) the resulting mess usually causes the shooters to go to a smaller caliber on the next year's hunt.

There is no range reference in most antelope hunting locales thus a flat shooting cartridge with wind bucking abilities is strongly preferred. Good Luck!

re5513

<10point>
posted
Ive seen guys do it in Mont. Either that or it was a mirage.

My favorite antelope memory was a long , long afternoon walk thru the prarie and several canyons. I just sat in ambush up high over a canyon watching a fencline with a "duck under hole " in it. As the sun started going down a small herd went thru the hole and walked towards me.

I took the herd ram. The whole scene was so pretty I actually felt a little sad breaking it up and killing an animal..........just a little.

Montana is a wonderful State.............10

<sure-shot>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by re5513:
[B] If I had that many preference points I would have hunted north of Craig 3 years ago, would have earned another 3 preference points since then, and would have a nice mount of an antelope on my den wall.

/B]

re5513,

I already have "nice mounts" on my wall. I would like to bag a "booker", no easy feat on public land. When I was at 5 pref pts most of the areas you listed were suffering from winterkill, the trophy quality was down, especially for bookers in the Red Desert area. These units required more than 5 pref points to draw at that time anyways. What I was hoping for was a response from someone with some real hunting time from a recent hunt. sure-shot

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 02-22-2002).]