Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Camp, Reno
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted
I spent Thursday at the Reno Convention Center attending the RMEF Annual Convention (Elk Camp).

While I did not attend last year, I was disappointed and concerned at the low number of outfitters represented this year. IMHO the economy has really affected these good folks.

The number of firearms represented was also down. In the past CZ, Kimber, and others were in attendance. While most of the big dogs were there, the custom shops were absent.

The number of dealers selling home decorations, trinkets, and knives of all types were abundant.
Never saw so many light fixtures made with antlers.

Speer put on an excellent reloading seminar, well worth the time. I spoke with the Fish and Game officials from Wyoming and Oregon and found them to be friendly, informative, and very helpful.

I considered the numbers very light however it was on opening day, I hope the weekend has heavier traffic.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was my first year exhibiting at the elk convention so I didn't know what to compare it to. I thought the same thing as you though about the antler chandliers. I was thinking man that must be a pretty competitive business right about now.

It was slow Thursday and Friday but today was a good day. We'll see how tomorrow pans out.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of people are finding out "just what this organization is about" or "not about", and are no longer supporting this charade by the officers and high and mightys who run it. JMHO.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry hit the nail on the head!!!!!

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
A lot of people are finding out "just what this organization is about" or "not about", and are no longer supporting this charade by the officers and high and mightys who run it. JMHO.

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Not quite sure what you meant to say. Can you be a little more explanatory for us novices?

thanx

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
RENO, Nev.-Elk Camp 2010, which concluded March 7 in Reno, Nevada, set the tone, direction and fundraising base to position the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation for a big year in habitat conservation, officials say.

On the strength of $1.45 million in auction proceeds and an Elk Camp record for new memberships (preliminary figures show 2,867 members joined or renewed during the event), RMEF wrapped up its 26th Annual Elk Camp & Hunting, Fishing and Outdoor Expo with gross fundraising topping $2.75 million. Those dollars will help support the organization's initiatives to ensure the future of elk, other wildlife and their habitat.

RMEF recently topped 5.7 million acres conserved or enhanced, but RMEF President and CEO David Allen says the conservation to-do list in elk country is growing longer, not shorter.

"There was such great spirit at Elk Camp, you couldn't help but get pumped up about where we've been and where we're going. Habitat loss continues to chip away at the wild places relished by elk and elk hunters, but our volunteers, supporters and staff are headed home from Reno with a renewed sense of urgency and purpose and commitment to make a difference," said Allen.

He added, "In many ways, Elk Camp is the official kickoff to our year, and after these past four days, I'm anticipating a great 2010."

Other Elk Camp highlights included:

• RMEF launch of the Dale Earnhardt Land/Wildlife Legacy.
• First-ever live coverage of the RMEF/Leupold World Elk Calling Championships on ESPN
Outdoors.com.
• New world champion elk callers including Joel Turner of Eatonville, Wash., who won his second title
in the Professional Division.
• RMEF's highest honor, the Wallace Fennell Pate Wildlife Conservation Award, went to Walker S.
"Buddy" Smith, Jr. and wife Tammy Lynne Smith of Great Falls, Mont.
• Numerous awards and recognitions for RMEF volunteers and supporters.
• Good day-traffic in the expo hall with numerous attendees booking hunting trips.
• Entertainment by comedian Jim Gaffigan and country stars Neal McCoy and Sara Evans.

News releases on these and other headlines are posted at www.rmef.org.

Event sponsors included Roper, Leupold, Cabela's, Gerber, Hunter's Specialties, Midway USA, Mossy Oak, North American Hunter Magazine, Browning and Budweiser.

Allen said, "We can't say thank you enough to our sponsors, exhibitors and attendees for their continuing support. Together, we're helping to shape the future of elk country."

The 27th Annual Elk Camp and Expo will be in Reno, Nev., March 3-6, 2011.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'm glad to hear that I might not be the only person who questions the RMEF. I have some close contacts with this organization, and while they have done a great deal of good in preserving habitat, they are also part of the problem and not the solution. Why?

The RMEF is very good at securing habitat through conservation easements. However, they fall woefully short of also securing hunting access to these privat properties. Nope, I ain't gonna argue that point. Private land owners should be able to do as the please, at least as long as they don't try to block access.

However, here in Montana, for instance, we've got freakin elk everywhere in the wintering mountain valleys and the private ranches of the eastern plains.

Can the average goober hunt it? Not unless you've married into it, outfit and guide on it, or maybe be an officer in the RMEF. fishing

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Yellowstone, unfortunately I think what you have stated is a sad fact of life. Do you or anyone know how much public land (USFS/BLM/Bureau of Reclamation) is "landlocked" by private property.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, but that would be an interesting statistic. And yes, that is the way the game is played these days. More and more, we are moving toward hunting the King's Deer.

The cost to hunt the RMEF ranch (name I've forgotten for the moment) near Datil, N.M. is about $16,000. A quality experience for sure, and a draw hunt to boot.

All these organizations have their glitches, and I belong to the same ones that you do. Unfortunately, I don't know how many times of hear the RMSF hierarchy make disparaging remarks about all those rich doctor and attorney assholes in SCI. On the other hand, if you don't ride your own horse and pack string into the elk wilderness, you ain't part of the elite.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went with a small group of guys this weekend. We had fun as we always do, heck its just nice to get out of town and see something different.
I haven't been to the RMEF show for about 3 years, but for me it was pretty sparse. It seemed like a lot less people bought booths and although there were folks walking around, I'm going to guess that attendance was down as well.

A couple of random thoughts:

Lots of outfitters from New Zealand. Maybe six booths some of them were double or even triple sized booths.

Not many folks from Texas. Usually the high fence guys are there like the 777 and YO ranch. I guess they stayed home to save a few bucks.

I didn't see many of those high fence whitetail operations that have 15 or more monster heads and $10K hunts. Not that I care, but usually there's a few of these guys bragging about their deer breeding program.

I only saw two TV stars: Cameron Haynes was walking around with his bow over his shoulder on Friday and I saw Jim Zumbo walk by. I was hoping to see many more of the TV folks.

Lots less gun makers than in the past. No Smith & Wesson booth, no Glock and not many custom prople like Rifles Inc, Ultra Light Arms and the fancy Euro guns guys either.

My buddy pointed out that he didn't see many archery companies represented.

There was a very hot 40+ bartender mixing drinks in the NW corner of the building named Julia S was smoking hot.

Zinfandel and venison are GOOD!

Posts: 51 | Location: Mendocino County California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote