Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Which 300 Magnum??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted
Just to put things into perspective, the 308Win with 130 gr. TSX bullets impacts with more than 1500 fps of energy at 500 yards -- enough for deer. For elk, perhaps more is needed, but for deer...... no.

When it comes to 500 yard shooting, practice is more important than energy/velocity. In fact, the two might not be compatible. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Of the .300s, I've only used the .300 Win. Mag., and to this day I haven't found a single reason to use anything else. That cartridge has just-plain worked for me at ranges up to just over 500 yds., and on all sizes of game from the very tiny to that which weighs over a ton, including three members of Africa's Big Five. I've filled the better part of a trophy room, a reloading room, and an office the heads of trophy animals taken with that cartridge, plus freezers full of deer and elk venison over the last ten years.

Ignorant, misguided old wives' tale-type alarums about .300 Win. Mags. 'short neck', belted case, and imaginative, awe-inspiring advantages of shorter versions devised to thrill the pilgrims aside, the old 1963 vintage .300 Win. Mag. remains my all-time favorite cartridge, and it'll take more than a collection of theories to make me switch to any other .300........

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why a 300 Magnum, they have the Worst recoil og all of the magnums. Have you considered a 7mm or a 338? derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with Allan Day. I have shot all of the .300's in existance and some wildcats that are one of a kind, the .300 Winny is hard to beat, sure you can burn more powder and get more speed, but at very little additional benefit. I have taken many Elk, Caribou, Deer and a Brown Bear with mine, and today I shoot many larger chamberings, but that old Winny is the still the standard by which I measure all others. Good shooting.

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek said:
Quote:

... the .300 WSM can only match the .300 Win Mag in velocity at the cost of substantially increased pressures. Combined with the fact that you are subject to feeding problems with the disproportionate case, ammunition is more expensive, and the magazine is likely to hold one less round than with the conventional belted case, I find little to recommend the short magnum over the conventional one.

Hey Stonecreek, let's not exaggerate to make a point!

First, the .300WSM can and does match the 300 win mag with only slight increases in pressure. Substantially is a big word, especially when you are describing pressures. I get about 3050fps using 180gr. bullets and moderate handloads with mine out of a 24" barrel.

Second, I have never had any feeding problems using the .300 WSM and neither have my two friends. We use a Savage and two Winchesters. I have used mine across Canada and in South Africa. Do you speak from experience? I think you are only repeating what you "heard".

Third, Premium hunting ammunition is the SAME PRICE as .300 win mag. ammo, just pick up a Cabelas Catalogue or go and buy some. I hate it when outdated info gets repeated years later! Ammo USED to be more expensive, but now price has dropped with increased production and I can even find ammo at my local Walmart, whereas, regualar .300 win mag ammo is getting harder to find.

While I disagree with(and can factually disprove) most everything you have said to describe the .300 WSM, I will still agree that the .300 win mag is a great round and for hunting worldwide probably makes the better choice of the two, just given current ammo availability outside of N.A.

What does anyone think of the .300 Dakota?

one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
This has been a highly debated subject on many forums. I would choose the .300 ultra for shooting game at these ranges for one reason only. The .300 ultra has about 500ft/lbs more energy at 500 yards than a .300 win, and a little over 200ft/lbs than a .300 wby. With all else being equal. Shoots a little flatter also. Might not make much of a difference, but then again it could. If you weren't shooting at these ranges I would say it really doesn't matter, and many people would say it doesn't matter anyway. I'm probably a little biased since I have an ultra. Just my two cents....

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider the Weatherby UltraLightweight. It weighs 6 3/4 pounds in 300 Weatherby with a 26" barrel (excluding scope). It comes with 24" barrel in 300 Winchester magnum and weighs even less. Mine is the 300 Weatherby caliber as I appreciate the extra velocity, or lower pressures for the same velocity.