New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Wby Mag on Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are your opinions on the 7mm Wby Mag as an elk round? I am looking for one gun to use in all my western hunting from pronghorns on the plains to elk in the mountains.

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Choose whatever powder works well in your gun, but I certaily would use no less than 160 Partitions, or Bear Claws, or better yet, 175 gr bullets of some some sort.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Just me, but if I was still shopping, I'd opt for a 30 mag or even a .338. You can use .338 160 gr X-bullets for Pronghorn and you'd have a better elk gun. If you are going to compromise, I'd compromise on the high side for pronghorn vs on the low side for elk.

Better deal is have two guns.

If you already have the 7Mag and don't want to buy another rifle, have at it. Use good bullets and common sense.

Tim

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load premium bullets in that big 7 and go hunting!! I don't think there is anything in the continental U.S. that can't be well taken with a 7 mag. My 2 bits.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Hoyt>
posted
There was a time when the Rem. 7mag was considered "The" caliber for elk...if a Wby 7mag is marginal on elk they must be a lot bigger and tougher than they used to be.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
Anytime you intend to use the same rifle for 100 lb animals and 700 lbs animals, it is going to be a compromise for one or both. I would classify the 7Mag as a compromise on both counts - on the slightly overkill end for Prongs and on the lighter end for elk. But ok for either...just not ideal for either. A decent choice for a wise one gun hunter. But it is easier (and safer!) to load a big gun down than a smaller gun up!

Tim

[ 06-07-2002, 05:00: Message edited by: tarbe ]

Posts: 1534 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think your choice is fine. A .30mag would be a bit better on the occasional elk but a .30 would be way more rifle than needed for deer & antelope. I have taken elk w/ the 7Rem mag. & 160gr NP's. This is also the same load I use for deer/antelope. It shoots plenty flat @ 3050fps & you can do a bit better from the Wby. Good hunting!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CraigP,

Load up that 7mm Weatherby with 175 gr. Nosler Partitions and have at it. I love the 7mm Rem Mag...have used on game up to and including eland. Worked great for me. I am hoping to add the the tally on my extended Africa trip from July until whenever...

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
CraigP--I am also a 7mag(rem) user, and have been for 25 years--I bought it when it was "the elk gun to have" ,at least here in Oregon. I find it to be an excellent rifle for both elk and deer. For deer I load a little on the lighter side, at about 2800 fps with 160 gr partitions, for elk still under max with 175 gr partitions. Initially, however, I did have problems with bullets blowing up or punching through with poor expansion, but in the standard 150 and 175 American loadings, as my range on deer could be rather short, which was outside the design parameters for these bullets. Premium Nosler bullets cured my problems, and this is my everthing rifle when not using traditional muzzleloaders. Go forth and----hunt well and happily. Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Hoyts response!! When it comes to the 7mm Wby and Elk, would anyone on this board feel comfortable sitting on the opposite side of an elk that was taking a good quality 7mm bullet to the shoulders? I know I wouldn't. I just sold my 300 Wby for a slow old 280 Remington and I doubt that I'll ever feel under-gunned while I'm using it for anything. Is there something I should know????

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JoeATCA>
posted
I used a Rem Model 700 synthetic in 7mm Weatherby for my first guided hunt ever for elk in Colorado in 1999. On the second day of the hunt, a 20 degree uphill shot presented itself as my guide and I sat down for lunch in a saddle at 11:30 AM. The raghorn bull was approximately 300 yards away (ACCORDING TO MY GUIDE)when I took the broadside shot. The bull jerked his head up then quickly galloped off as I pulled high on my second shot. My guide asked my about the shot and I said it was dead on, the bull was walking slowly and I was using an Aspen tree trunk (3" diameter) to steady my shot. My guide said he though I missed and I practically came to tears as I thought about blowing the shot, all the money and preparation for the hunt, etc. My guide suggested waiting for 15 minutes in case I did hit the bull in the gut before tracking him. After 15 minutes or so, my guide proceeded up the hill where the elk was and said "you my as well wait here, no sense both of us climbing the ridge". He went up the hill and from a distance I saw him poking about. After another ten minutes, I saw him come back down. When he reached me, he suddenly grinned and stuck his hand out and said "congratulations, he's down about thirty yards on the other side of the ridge." You can guess how relieved I was. When I climbed up to the bull I saw what happened. I was shooting handloads with 160 gr. Nosler Partitions. The entry wound was 1/4" hole right between two ribs and the exit was a 1.5" hole again between two ribs (right through the heart/lung zone). The elk jerked his head up at the shot but gave no other indication he had been hit. I now use a 340 Weatherby mag for elk hunting because I want to know when I've hit the elk. I don't want to experience that sinking feeling again and of course the incident boosted my opinion (and my guide's opinion ) of my shooting capability. If you stand the recoil, use a bigger gun. Good hunting, Joe.

<ChuckD>
posted
Hey Joe, where you goin with...ANYWAY, my experience with Elk is that they frequently give no sign of being hit, even if they finally just fall over. At least that is the way of our very large Roosevelt Elk here in Oregon. Practice and be confident. And have fun, Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

A bigger gun doesn't always mean more reaction from the animal. I shot a rather small caribou with a 338 Win at about 100 yards and had a similar experience as you. It was standing broadside feeding and at my shot it lifted it's head up and looked in my direction...I could't believe I missed! After a few seconds it turned its head and I shot again, hitting the shoulder and droping it. Upon dresing it, I found that the first shot went right through the chest.

Nothing wrong with a bigger gun, just pointing out that it won't garantee more reaction from a hit.
Good Hunting
Jeff

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I have not used the 7mm Wby. on Elk But I do have a 7mm Rem Mag and there seems to be little difference in performance between them. I think a 175 grain would serve you well on Elk. I have a .338 WM and love it!
The animals reaction can be of little help when second guessing a shot. Some just seem to soak up a good hit and others will drop. People are in fact very similar, in that some wounds that are fatal and devastating don't always stop them and a poor hit that isn't as devastating may in fact cause them to drop. It's weird but a fact.
The 7mm Wby is fine for Elk and many other large animals. A good hit with a good bullet will put one in the freezer. The caliber you shoot is a choice and limitation that you have to decide on. Choices are fun, and every option from flinging sticks to Super Mags, handguns to black powder, all have variables that as a hunter you are to adapt to and use for your enjoyment. Happy Hunting! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Dice2>
posted
Craig I will tell you as Big Nate told you, just get a good bullet and head out West. I have a 7mm mag and the 7mm-STW. Not a whole lot of difference between the Weatherby and STW I guess. I like the 175 grain bullets for Elk hunting, and use the 150 for most all other game below that elks weight. The 160 grain Barnes xlc bullet is a real accuracy favorite of mine on mule deer, pronghorn and whitetail. I shoot 1/2 groups from the bench with those in my gun.