New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Interbonds?
 Login/Join

<hunting1>
posted
Was reading about Hornady's new interbonds and was wondering what you thought. The bonded are pretty good as long as you don't push them to fast and the SST's are accurate. Just wondering, probally just stick with Noslers. ????? [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the Interbond is a great idea. Nosler is also bonding some of their Ballistic Tips. All bonded Noslers will have a white tip. I thought the bonded bullets were supposed to be good for any velocity? Isn't the reason for the bonding process to keep the core and jacket together at any velocity? I saw the Hornadys in the new Cabela's shooting catalog for $31/box of 100. About twice the price of their standard interlock bullets but a hell of alot cheaper than the Swift Scirocco. I wish they would make them in the standard interlock configuration. That would be the ultimate big-game bullet.
Elk country

[ 01-29-2003, 02:49: Message edited by: Elk Country ]

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
They come out with Interbonds in deer calibers, and deer hunting weights. You don't need bonded bullet for deer! Maybe if you're shooting a 270 WBY, 7mm STW, or a 300 Ultra, and you like to go after the shoulders. Bonded bullets for deer? Give me a break!

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know, I would love to shoot one of the 160gr accubond, or 154gr interbond in the 7x57
and 280 improved. I hunt just about everything with these cartridges to begin with, now I wont have to buy expensive sciroccos anymore. [Razz]

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'm looking forward to trying this bullet. If it works and stays together consistently, it'll be a real breakthrough. The Swift Scirocco is about the same concept - polymer tip/bonded core - but the reviews from the field have been mixed so far.

Now that Hornady knows how to bond bullets, I can't help but wonder if a bonded version of the Interloct will be all that far behind. THAT'S the bullet I'd like to see from Hornady.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting bullets, them hornady's and nosler's.
What I'd like to see being made are bonded core RN heavy-for-calibur bullets. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I can't get enough tech info on the interbond. They say it is designed like the SST which has a secant o-give, I could not achieve real good accuracy with the SST because the ogive was so low on the bullet that I could not seat the bullets even 40 thousands off the lands. My gun likes 10 to 15 off the lands. I have heard many complaints about this. If they make them like the interlock (ogive higher on the bullet) they will have less complaints. I have found that most 7MM like to be close to the lands. Now I will say when I seated the bullets to 15 thousands off the lands the SST shot well very well But it was no use for me cause they would not fit in the magazine. I saw a picture of a interbond and it looks like the o-give maybe higher up then the SST and that would be better. Hornady was smart they at least made there's in the 139 grain weight. I feel Nosler should have made there's in 140s also. But there is another option NorthFork bullets, they may not have that polymer tip but they are sure accurate and deadly.

<FarRight>
posted
I agree with todbartell.

My initial impression was they are just another deer bullet and an attempt by Hornady to jump on the Bonded Bandwagon. Furthermore, we already have more than enough deer bullet, Hornady already markets several excellent deer bullet, the SSTs and the Interlocks.
The Noslers on the other hand are more than just bonded BalTips. They have been offered in heavier weights which to me says something of their intent--they were meant to be used on game larger than deer. I will be the first in line for the 160 gr Accubonds and am trying to convince my brother to go with the 200 grainers. Nosler appears to have done their homework. The Swift Scirocco is little more than a deer bullet intended for use with the latest super magnums at velocities where regular ballistic tips fragment and come apart--at least that is what I get from the Swift manual. Hornady sadly seems to have taken their approach. Since I consider anything under 150 grains in .284 cal "just anotehr deer bullet," I intend to give the Accubonds a try and if they for some reason don't work, stick with the Partitions.

Verdict--Hornadys, at least until they offer a 162 gr .284 cal for cheaper than the Accubonds, are out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen neither nosler or hornady are going to offer a 180gr bonded bullet in .308".I see that as a big mistake from both of them as it would probably be their biggest seller in .308 caliber.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I emailed Hornady about a week ago and asked them if they were going to offer a 180 grn. 30 cal. bullet. They said it was definately on the way. Now one can only guess when that might be.

Posts: 39 | Location: Casper, WY | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Adirondack Joe>
posted
Methinks the 165 grn Interbond is just about right for the 308 Win for larger game. Looks like it would be a good black bear load, and I bet many elk-meat hunters would like it, as well. I know a family of hunters from Nova Scotia who hunt moose every year with 308's, and the younger generation is shooting 165 grn partitions (although the older hunters stick with 180 grn Speer HotCors). They would probably rave about this bullet. In the 30-06 or one of the 30 mags, this bullet would make a great caribou bullet. Take my 2 cents for what its worth.

That being said, I still think that Hornady should offer some heavier bullet weights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Am curious like the rest to try these bonded bullets. However, the $30+ price of a bonded Hornady when a Nosler BT will do the job for 1/3 of the price is beyond me. Spoke to Nosler and the 200gr .308 is definately intended up to Elk (was not recomended w/standard BT in .308). With the high BC of that bullet, why have a 180gr version? Did some trajectory calcs and many 180gr bullets won't be as flat shooting no matter how much you try and you are giving up 20gr of weight trying to do so. For now I will stick w/the Barnes 180XLCBT. In my .30Gibbs I have it delivering 2000# of energy @ 500yrds, shooting MOA as well, and there is no question that it works. I am looking for a better antelope/deer bullet. I just don't know if the Nosler 150BT will be bettered without throwing $ away in the process.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deke,
Have you chronographed your .30 Gibbs? About twenty years ago I chronographed one and it only got about 50 fps over a hot loaded 30-06. I also recently read an article in one of the gun rags, and the results were essentially what I had chronographed.

What have you chronographed, what is the barrel length, and what load are you using?

Thanks,
Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
<chuk>
posted
I've seen what happens when a Scirroco breaks the shoulder of a moose. It turns into a Loonie (Canadian Dollar) and doesn't penetrate the rib cage!

chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty Gunn,
You have that, it is a Woodleigh....Round nose bonded core, been around forever and they surly do work, I have been using Woodleighs foe nearly 30 years I think....I killed a 375 B&C elk with a 300 gr. Woodleigh RN in my 338 this year.

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After seeing the offered weights and their own advertisement it looks to me like the Interbonds will simply be an alternative to the Scirocco by a different brand. Pretty much the same weights.... And from their own advertisement they look a little soft--they hold their weight but they're expanding down pretty far toward the base for the velocities they show.

Don't get me wrong, the more choices the better. They should be cheaper than the Scirocco and if your rifle doesn't like the Scirocco, you've got another choice.

This bullet should be excellent for standard calibers or small magnums giving great ballistics from a bullet that'll hold together quite a bit better than a standard bullet. But they aren't breaking any new ground.

But for us "supermagnum" lovers, I think Nosler has the right idea. Heavier weights and (supposedly) even tougher construction. That's something new.

As an asside, I think it's funny how both of these companies are claiming to have "Developed a proprietary proccess" when custom bullet makers have been doing it for decades. My guess is Swift, Woodleigh, NorthFork, Speer (with the TBBC), etc finally took a significant enough chunk out of their marketshare to make them get off their asses and do what they could have started doing 20 years ago. I'm glad the time has finally come.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote