THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Montana Sheep, Moose & Goats Are Out...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana Sheep, Moose & Goats Are Out...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted
www.fwp.state.mt.us/

none for me...

[ 06-21-2003, 07:48: Message edited by: Brad ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
No luck on moose, 4 tries next year.

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
24 years and no go for this kid-oh well as someone once said "it's not over till I win"!! I'll be back next year.

On a positive note a good friend of mines father drew a Square Butte goat permit-this is gonna be a gas!

"get to the hill"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, You sound like me. I put in for sheep, moose and goat for 22 years and drew nothing. I saw other people draw them all some more than once in the same period.

Santala

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I Santala I have some different thoughts about these tags.

Personally I believe if one draw and tags out then they they should be done drawing for that permit for life. Yep I said once in a lifetime!

That would help the pool a bit.

I also have some thoughts as to whether or no non-rez should be allowed to apply-at least not until all the residents that wnat them have drawn--grins......

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
None for me, but my kid drew a ewe tag for Rock Creek. Maybe not quite the same as a ram tag, I know, but we're going sheep hunting and I'm mightily stoked! He's planning to use his bow. I know a guy who killed a dandy ram with a bow over there (Thielman, you guys probably know him too). He says getting a ewe that way should be quite do-able. The kid's in public school now, though (previously homeschooled). With just weekends available, I may carry his rifle just in case.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Bill, congrat's to your son!

Did you ever get your sprinkler's in? If not, I found a couple of guy's from Colorado that did a fantastic job for me recently (no time of my own!)... because they're new in town they undercut everyone else by over $1,000... great guys, both hunter's and one's dad is a CO fish cop.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two more friend hit the jack pot --Jim Winjum from Schnees pulled a tag for Bullwinkle I hear, and another buddy of mine got a goat tag.

Guess I got more gas money for the old F150 coming back--grins!!!!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

<Rimrock>
posted
Talked to a buddy in Big Timber today, whose wife drew a moose tag up the Gallatin last year, and now draws a goat tag for Square Butte. Reportedly the worst goat drawing odds for the state. He's been putting in forever, & no dice. Just not fair at all, he says ;-).

Got my sprinklers in, and next is spreading topsoil. I absolutely despise yard work, and would rather take a beating or listen to rap, but am too tight to hire somebody to do it, so if we're going to have a yard it comes down to me. I'll finish it one of these years.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing for me! [Frown] Rimrock I have had two friends take ewes from rock creek. I went with one of them and had a great time. The hike, hunt, stock and kill was all great. The only difference was we did not have a big set of horns at the end of the hunt. We backpacked the ewe out whole [Eek!] so he could get a mount make. We had a great time and the finished mount is very nice. I keep holding out for a ram permit, this was my 31 consecutive time I have put in for sheep. You would think one of these years I would get one.

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
No RM goat for me this year. Maybe fall 04.

[ 06-24-2003, 23:33: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No on sheep, no on moose. Guess I'll start getting ready for archery season.

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
hey, I got lucky, drew moose 328

anyone know that area?

looks like last yrs hunters didn't do so well, might have my work cut out for me

Posts: 50 | Location: CO | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing for any of us this year but somehow I don't mind since I drew a desert sheep tag in Nevada after 19 years. For the first time ever I'm relieved to have not drawn in Mt. as all my effort is going toward this sheep hunt in Nv. If I take one it completes my slam.

Nontypical:

I know the area 328 well in SW Mt. It is a pretty decent area near Lima, Mt. Are you looking for a guide or do it yourself? I'm not sure who the outfitter is in that area but if you go on your own I can give you some names of drainages to look in. Congrats!

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Keith,

I'm not sure yet on the outfitter

If I can go it myself, I'll do it (that'd be much more palatable w/ the wife give what I guess it might cost). I've got a friend who can probably go along and help haul (and fend of the grizzlies).

bullwinkle unit 328 is the unit immediately E of Gardner, around Jardine

I'm not familiar w/ Lima

Are we talking about different areas?

any info would be appreciated, please email me at

abovetimberline@yahoo.com

thanks!

Kevin

p.s., congrats on the sheep tag, that's quite a prize, will be a great adventure, So NV is great, drove thru a couple yrs back

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nontypical,

My mistake. 328 is an elk area in Sw Mt. I should have looked closer........like in the regs! Sorry about that. I know lots of people down there in the Gardiner area so if you need contacts let me know. Also call Tom Lemke, the F&G biologist in Livingston,Mt. Maybe he can help as well. Good luck and congrats!

PS I'd hunt down there when they are in the rut in later sept.

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm already waiting for T Lemke to return my call, he's out for a few days

thanks for the offer, I will be talking with you soon

cheers,

K

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keith do you need any help in Nevada??I'll be more than happy to go along and help! GRINS

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Thanks for the offer. It seems I have an army offering to help! I don't know the whole plan yet but I can tell you I'm so excited that I came home last night and said two words to my wife............"Road Trip"!