Find
Notify
Tools

Not this year
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted
RMEF banquet is this weekend. $105 for my wife & me just to get thru the doors----then the same old rubber chicken & fixins. Then add the raffle tickets, drinks, auctions & the rest of the Chinese knick-knacks. Too much IMO.

I'll take the money & buy a preference point in WY, maybe apply for a Gila tag in NM.

Money's getting tite---better off trying to get a tag---doing a hunt--than giving it away. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Bob! Only events I go to are NRA, I guess we still need a firearm to hunt, so I support them. I still belong to DU and MDF but only go to a banquet once in a while, I usually dontate some thing they can raffle or sell.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
Fundraising is tough buisness!
Finding something new to offer with an all volunteer committee and trying to keep costs down is always a challenge.

I wonder how much time and money was spent by the RMEF in WY or NM where you plan on hunting someday?

If you think I am trying to stir your right!

If you are passionate about hunting elk, SUPPORT THR RMEF!

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wonder how much time and money was spent by the RMEF in WY or NM where you plan on hunting someday?

About $5000, subsidized prescribed burns with the BLM! The local chapter in Thermopolis has raised 10 times that amount in the last 5 years.

Not to mention the support of the release of wolves in Wyoming! They have since changed thier stance on wolf reintroduction, becuase it was affecting the bottom line. I dropped my membership, as did everyone I work with, about 15 employees. The RMEF has outlived its life! Salary's are a little over a million a year.

If you are passionate about owning a firearm and your second amendment rights, support the NRA!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:

About $5000, subsidized prescribed burns with the BLM! The local chapter in Thermopolis has raised 10 times that amount in the last 5 years.

Not to mention the support of the release of wolves in Wyoming! They have since changed thier stance on wolf reintroduction, becuase it was affecting the bottom line. I dropped my membership, as did everyone I work with, about 15 employees. The RMEF has outlived its life! Salary's are a little over a million a year.

Money raised in Wyoming stays in Wyoming.
There are seventeen separate Chapters in Wyoming alone that work to preserve elk and elk habitat.

If you believe that only $5000.00 was spent in your State your very uninformed.

Go ahead and bitch and moan about the RMEF with your 15 co-workers.

Thankfully for all of us (and the elk) there are people willing to step up and do something productive.
And like Just-a-Hunter said it doesn't matter if you support or not, the RMEF will be out there either way.

KC

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are an eviromental organization, not a hunting organization. THey do not support my hunting. They simply give a percentage back to manage or purchase elk habitat. Very little that you can hunt with the exception of the small amounts spent to improve habitat on public land and a few private ranches.

Screw the RMEF! I would give my last dollar to PETA before I would give one cent to RMEF!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to support a true hunting organiztion, that defends and fights for your privelege to hunt, then support SFW!

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
RMEF's mission Statement.

The mission of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is to ensure the future of elk, other wildlife and their habitat.

Our vision - We envision a future where elk roam in wild places across our continent, challenging and inspiring generations of HUNTERS and other conservationists to preserve that legacy and pass it on to those who follow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing about defending your privelege to hunt, or your "RIGHT" to own a firearm! They are about the evironmental and conservation issues, and about filling the pockets of a select few.

You have your opinion and I have mine! Their time has came and gone!

I owe them nothing for nothing they have done!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i supported the rmef before they went pro-wolf. no more!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do support SFW, NRA, SCI

I am glad you do!

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Nothing about defending your privelege to hunt, or your "RIGHT" to own a firearm! They are about the evironmental and conservation issues, and about filling the pockets of a select few.

Well your right about one thing. The RMEF does not actively fight for gun rights.
But that certainly doesn't mean they are against firearms. Roll Eyes
If they were they wouldn't have several articles in their magazine about rifles for hunting. The Jan-Feb issue had an excellent article on the 400 Whelen, not to mention articles on new ammo, rifles and arrow penetration.
Articles about weapons for hunting...HMMM...

If you don't want to support the RMEF that is your decision.

Saying that the RMEF is a horrible organization because they don't lobby for 2nd Ammendment rights is like saying a Neurosurgeon is stupid because he can't repair the engine on his Mercedes.

Read the mission statement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saying that the RMEF is a horrible organization because they don't lobby for 2nd Ammendment rights

I never said that, I said they are an eviromental and conservation organization that has outlived their time and purpose! They are not a hunting organization or an organization that fights for your privelege to hunt! They simply collect dues, donations, and banquet funds to spend on habitat improvement, (very little in this part of Wyoming, and buy habitat that is not always made availible to hunters or even members of rmef!