Find
Notify
Tools

aoudad question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How are they for eating??

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot an 11 year old ram last January. I kept only the backstraps. The Mexican laborers who worked on the ranch were happy to take the rest. When I got home, I sliced several pieces of backstrap thin, ran a cubing device over them, pounded them with a meat mallet, applied meat tenderizer, then marinated them for 4 days. They were tasty, but still chewy. On the other hand, once when I was hunting in West Texas, the camp cook did up some steaks in a chicken fried recipe, and they were great. She said that she used a mallet on them, but I suspect that they were probably off of a younger animal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Audad mixed with wild hog makes great Jalepeno Cheese summer sausage!

Best

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting these critters for 20 years this is the best way to prepare
1. Skin and clean and cool ASAP
2. Tenderize the meat with a mallet to 1/2 the thickness
3. Marinate in a combination of olive oil, A-1 sauce, a little white wine and some ranch dressing
Put in frig for 24 hours covered.
When ready to cook use a hot frying pan coat with butter and olive oil sear the meat for Bout 2 minute on each side.
Then throw away the meat and start chewing on the frying pan.

Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good one Larry Big Grin

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's my experience with aoudad.
A bit chewy for me

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be a Pollyanna, but when life hands ya' a lemon, make lemonade. When you take an Aoudad, make sausage. dancing
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Not trying to be a Pollyanna, but when life hands ya' a lemon, make lemonade. When you take an Aoudad, make sausage. dancing
Best
GWB

This is correct, you basically have to smother the taste, ie gumbo, stew, sausage etc.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2013 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot one. Ate one. It made pretty fair sausage. So when it comes to eating, they are on par with MT Goat in my experience and opinion. The meat is edible, but it isn't prime venison. Sausage and jerky is the best option for both.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An Aoudad ewe I took last weekend.

I'm pretty sure, this fine plump ewe will become Jalepeno/cheese summer sausage and smoked links in the near future.

Best
GWB

one of us
posted Hide Post
My bet is, if you had hung around the Mexicans long enough, you would have had some tasty barbacoa

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375hnh:
My bet is, if you had hung around the Mexicans long enough, you would have had some tasty barbacoa

I dropped off the hinds from a whitetail doe I shot last weekend along with some pork to one of my managers, his wife is making pork and venison tamales (using lard).

Best

GWB

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Best
GWB

Gee Dub, I recon I ain't never been that hungry! Too many other critters roaming the woods.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have found Aoudad to be very tasty to Coyotes and Bobcats alike.

Saw a big Bob run off an Aoudad carcass at 11 in the morning a few weeks ago. I am going to set traps around the next Aoudad carcass.

I also wire them to a fence post about 100 yards from the house. Keeps the coyotes from dragging it into the brush, I Shoot out the window, or sneak on to the porch and shoot them.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
I have found Aoudad to be very tasty to Coyotes and Bobcats alike.

Saw a big Bob run off an Aoudad carcass at 11 in the morning a few weeks ago. I am going to set traps around the next Aoudad carcass.

I also wire them to a fence post about 100 yards from the house. Keeps the coyotes from dragging it into the brush, I Shoot out the window, or sneak on to the porch and shoot them.

WR,

Well if the truth must come out, I have it made up and give it to greenies and yankees. They don't know the difference. And as my friend from Ireland sez...........A lie, well told, will serve as good as the truth any day. dancing

Best

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well told!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote