THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking for Pronghorn Guide/Outfitter for Fall, 2009

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Pronghorn Guide/Outfitter for Fall, 2009
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My wife gave me an antelope hunt for Christmas, and I'm trying to decide where to go. I've never hunted pronghorn and want a guided hunt, preferably 1x1 (one and possibly two of my friends will be coming along), rather than trying to do it myself the first time.

From what I've read, New Mexico and maybe west Texas offer the best chance for a better-than-average head, but I'm not married to those states and am open to any and all suggestions.

I'd be interested in hearing recommendations that anyone might have, as well as real-world experiences with various outfitters and guides, good and bad.

Thanks.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arizona has some huge trophys. New Mexico does to and I think in NM you can hire outiftters with tags. Other states like Wy. Mt. you have to draw and get lucky unless the area you apply for has left over tags, which eastern Wy does every year.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Forget Arizona unless you don't want to use your gift for 15-20 years. Eeker

New Mexico and Montana are your best bets because you can hire an outfitter who already has 'lope permits for private ranches. Thus, there is no draw process. In general, the average bucks in NM will be bigger.

I think there are also similar options in Colorado under its Ranching for Wildlife program, but I'm not positive.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thing is to get the tag. Once you've got that sorted out you can start on the outfitter...

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Contact Brent Sinclair Trophy Hunt America/Porcupine Creek Outfitters.
He set me up with an outfitter friend of his in Wyoming and we took very good quality antelope and Mule Deer for a decent price.
his web site is www.trophyhuntamerica.smugmug.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think there are also similar options in Colorado under its Ranching for Wildlife program, but I'm not positive.

Tony Mandile

Clarification---I think what Tony meant was that the participating Colorado RFW ranches get a certain amount of licenses that they can dispose of as they see fit (for sale or gift or whatever) for use by resident or non-resident hunters--however, the public draw licenses for RFW are RESIDENT ONLY. On the other hand, the Landowner Voucher tags are often for sale by individual landowners and not limited to residents. Those landowner vouchers will not be distributed until June-July and are not guaranteed to landowners--they are drawing only for 15% of the total licenses in each unit. Way to early to count on that.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whiteeagle

PM sent.

Thanks

Steve
www.skymountainoutfitters.com

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve Leforrorge;

Pm sent;

Dan

Posts: 285 | Location: Red Hook,NY | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Contact Ann here on AR...she is Aspen Hill Adventures. She can hook you up. Montana is a state she deals with and can get you a Reservation hunt.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's a number of outfitters in Wyoming that hunt antelope areas that Non-res can draw with out points due to the high % of private land.

Posts: 35 | Location: Wyo | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Talk with the outfitter I guide for: www.bearbasinoutfitters.net

He can set you up here in Wyoming if you draw. You can pretty much count on a 14" buck, but bigger bucks can be found.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whiteeagle:
My wife gave me an antelope hunt for Christmas, and I'm trying to decide where to go. I've never hunted pronghorn and want a guided hunt, preferably 1x1 (one and possibly two of my friends will be coming along), rather than trying to do it myself the first time.

From what I've read, New Mexico and maybe west Texas offer the best chance for a better-than-average head, but I'm not married to those states and am open to any and all suggestions.

I'd be interested in hearing recommendations that anyone might have, as well as real-world experiences with various outfitters and guides, good and bad.

Thanks.

Contact Patrick Holehan in Tucson. His hunts are in New Mexico. Excellent record. 520 745-0622. Tell hm Billinthewild said to call. He will be at the SCI Show in Jan if you will be there. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SBT - I sent you a PM.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Back to you!

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who responded, and if anyone else has something to add, feel free.

Special thanks to those who pm'ed. I've sent your comments on to my likely companions for their consideration.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd vote NM or WY. Hunted both and scored on both. I did see many more lopes in WY though. As far as quality I'd say it's a toss up.
As far as TX, I wouldn't bother. We might have some nice ones but I don't think we have the numbers like NM or WY.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Actually, Texas has some HUGE antelope, I killed an 82" goat in Hudspeth County about 5 years ago. Tags can be tough but I would ask around.

NM is my favorite place for speedgoats, I killed a goat that was just shy of 89" there 3 years ago, I'll never kill a better one.

I killed an 80" goat here in CO this year, its a really big goat for the area I was hunting.

As for WY, I have seen some huge antelope over the years down in the red desert but the tags can be tough to draw and the winter kill last year was really tough on them. I would start getting preference points now and hunt them when they rebound a little.

I would look in NM first and TX second, both states offer great opportunity for 80"+ goats without having to draw the tags

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote