Find
Notify
Tools

Back From Arizona
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
Boys Arizona sure was a good time & Coues Deer hunting is like nothing I’ve ever done before, man are they hard to find!

We saw deer every time we went out but did not find a shooter until the third day (my birth day), he had us pegged & we could not get any closer than 469 yards. First shot was low but the next connected & we thought we had a dead deer, got over to him & he jumps up & took off down the mountain. I’d decided to leave my gun & pack so luckily the guide had his gun & handed it to me; with a 180 yard standing shot that connected right in his ear the deal was done!

Spent the rest of the hunt watching dope smugglers cross the boarder by the Arizona Trail & calling predators, I ended up with a nice desert coyote & almost had another but 5 days climbing mountains with no shower & it did not take him long to wind me Big Grin

The weather was everything from 80 to 25 with sleet & snow & that took about 1 hour to go from one to the other. Great Outfitter & Guide & great guys in camp it was a good time & something everyone should do at least once.

Tony thank you for the book, not sure how I could have done it with out it!

Thanks,
Shawn

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Congrats on bagging a very nice Coues buck! thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Coues sure are fun to hunt. Nice buck!

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Good job, Shawn. That's a super buck for your first one.

I don't recall if you had mentioned it to me or not, but who did you hunt with there?

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted Hide Post
Tony,

I was hunting with Robert Dryden of Rincon Outfitters. We were hunting unit 35B. I can not say enought good things about Robert, outstanding guide & outfitter, they were first class all the way & worked really hard to get me a nice buck.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Okay, I think you did mention Rincon. Glad to hear you had a good experience as well as a successful one. That's what it's all about!! clap

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
That's a very nice coues buck. Congrats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fun.

I need to get out and find me one of those.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Happy Birthday present!

beer