New
Find
Notify
Tools

Game Cameras that use Cell data?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to protect some property off site, with no power available. This seems a viable option, but I'd like to keep cost under or around $200 a camera. Anyone using this type of camera, and can give me some info on how they work for you?

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I don't use them myself, but an organization I'm involved with does. They work well. They have them on the property to monitor both wildlife activity, as well as trespassers. Each time the camera captures an image, it sends a text to your cell phone with the picture. It's real time data.

I know they work, because I was guiding 2 hunters for spring turkeys on the property adjacent to the one with cameras. At one point I set them up Near the boundary and left them alone for a bit, while I went back to our house to take care of some chores. They encountered a gobbling Tom on the neighboring property and went after him. As soon as they got back, they told me they saw some game cameras on the neighbors place. About 15 minutes later, one of the employees showed up, looking for whoever had been photographed.

Posts: 3877 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am running 15 of them on my ranch. I have 13 Spartan cameras and 2 Covert cameras.

I love them. One gets real time info on what is going on.

I had a bit of a learning curve. Batteries were the issue. Some of my cameras were taking about 3,000 pictures a week. The cameras flattened the batteries quickly.

I have had a problem. One camera took pictures of nothing constantly. Activity or not, I got at least 60 pictures an hour. Spartan had a great forum as well as customer service. I switched cameras Saturday. End of problem.

The price you are looking for is too low based upon my experience. Mine cost around $500 each. There are some that cost more and some that cost less. I do not recall any in the $200 range. That does mean they do not exist.

Posts: 12021 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at the BOLY MG983G and it's running about $239 apiece. I've found some that are around $120-150 that are 3G but I can't find much info on them. The Boly's major complaint is that the plastic lens is too thin and can get damaged easily. I'll be onsite nearly everyday so batteries won't be an issue. It also works with AT&T and my plan allows for four lines and I'm only using three so adding it to my plan won't cost anything extra.

I'm thinking I only need the one camera that'll alert me to a trespasser instantly, and the other cameras can be standard trail cams.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You might try looking at security camera's that do the same job, same thing but not called a trail camera.
Might open up some more search options.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
I've been looking at the BOLY MG983G and it's running about $239 apiece. I've found some that are around $120-150 that are 3G but I can't find much info on them. The Boly's major complaint is that the plastic lens is too thin and can get damaged easily. I'll be onsite nearly everyday so batteries won't be an issue. It also works with AT&T and my plan allows for four lines and I'm only using three so adding it to my plan won't cost anything extra.

I'm thinking I only need the one camera that'll alert me to a trespasser instantly, and the other cameras can be standard trail cams.

I understand that Verizon is eliminating ALL 3G devices. This is not just trail cams.

Posts: 12021 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote