New
Find
Notify
Tools

55gn ballistic tips for deer...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today I recovered the first 55gn nosler b-tip from a roe deer.

He was slightly quartering at around 120m, the bullet came to rest just under the skin on the opposite shoulder.

It is now very clear that it is the base of the bullet that is following through.
That is all that was left of the projectile and it is a farily large, solid wad of brass.

Upon skining the animal it looks like the entry and exit have been switched around, with a huge area damaged from the entry and just a small exit.

I have taken some photos so if anyone is interested in seeing the recovered 55gran bullet and the damage it does to the carcasse I'll send the photos, as I cannot post them.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have exactly the same results on Aussie thin skinned stuff and have also tested them on plough disks with the same results just the base left, this is with the nos/win 50 gr Blallsitc Silver tip.

[ 06-30-2003, 01:48: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How many pounds would you estimate your deer to be on the hoof. ?
MJN

Posts: 27 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Those .22 caliber BT's will work...IF!!! you place them correctly!

My 9 yr old daughter shot her first deer this past year with a .223 and 55 BT's. Both took one hit each and didn't run further than 50 yds. I was a little relunctant to have her shoot them with such a light round but I had her put in lots of trigger time and she is an extremely good shot for her age....she knows where to stick them little pills too! [Big Grin]
 -
I was quite proud [Cool]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express:

you were talking about a 55 grainer in a 6 mm weren't you ( which I gather from some of your previous posts shooting a 6 PPC)?

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire; yes, it is my favourite little caliber this year. I have been using it for a lot of target and culling work around my property, so far it hasn't let me down once.

Shot placement is obviously the key, it just happens that I have that feeling of "oneness" with this particular rifle.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a shot a deer a year ago in the lungs with a 243 with the 55 grain B-tip. 55 yards, bullet impacted exactly in the ribs, and proceeded to follow the ribs down, and exited in the briscuit area.)No penetration. 1 piece of schrapnel (SP?) severed a main artery somewhere, and the deer layed down and died 15 minutes later.
This is the same load I use to pretty much cut coyotes in half with.
It's not the ideal round for any North American whitetail, in my opinion.
Maybe the .223 cal 55 grain penetrates better, or
it happened to impact between 2 ribs...?
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trig, I am no expert but isnt the 55 grain BT in a 243 intended for varmints only? Moving to a 85 grain or bigger bullet in the 243 probably would have worked fine for you. I used to swear by Nosler ballistic tips for deer out of my 270, and of late, my 7 mag, but I have moved on to Scirocco's, and partitions. I am loading a 100 grain partition in my 240 wby. I still will load some bt's, but I know the partition will give great results. If Nosler would get off their rear ends and give us a 90 - 100 grain bonded in 6 mm, I would love to try that.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote