THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Crow man takes hunting case to U.S. Supreme Court, says 1868 treaty is on his side
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crow man takes hunting case to U.S. Supreme Court, says 1868 treaty is on his side
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bentaframe:
Hunting and the 2nd Amendment have nothing to do with each other !!! Open your eyes. Maybe remote Alaska there is still A SMALL AMOUNT of subsistence hunting and even then it is more cultural than a necessity. With both white and native americans its more of a desired life style than required for survival in the lower 48. Any method or tool the leftists can find to dismantle the 2nd Amendment they will use it to their full advantage.

I stated, "I am not equating hunting with the second amendment". I'm not sure how I can make that more clear.

The point I was trying to make is that if we start trying to limit the hunting rights that the treaty protects to exclude modern weapons, then we are doing what the antis are already attempting to do with the second amendment when they say that it shouldn't cover modern firearms.

In other words: if we say that hunting treaties only cover time period correct weapons then we start down the slippery slope that leads to the antis being able to argue that the second amendment only covers the firearms available when it was written. I'm not looking to argue the point, but I think that it is worth considering that if WE push this as hunters then we are giving the antis more leverage to use the same argument(that treaties/amendments/laws only cover the firearms available at the time they were written) dismantle the second amendment.

A totally different topic: Most of Alaska is rural and is open to subsistence hunting and fishing to rural residents of all backgrounds. It is part of the culture of rural Alaska. And even here it has very little to do with survival.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bentaframe:
Be careful how you argue this ! You give the libs and other groups reason and precedence to amend the Constitution of the United States. Our argument being " we need to abrogate these treaties based on time and cultural/societal change."

If successful the libs will turn it around and try too to apply the logic to getting rid of the Constitution.

bentaframe,

It is obvious to me now that I was unclear in explaining my position, because your point in bold was exactly what I was attempting to express.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone notice the summation is using language from the last two Indian S. Ct. cases.

The ram case did specifically and expressly overrule a prior case that said Statehood did invalidate the Treaty of Laramie, and the Oklahoma murder case.

This is going to be close. I do not like it. The question will be resolved around rather the Treaty of Laramie gave a right to hunt outside the territorial limits of the reservation.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Court held that Wyoming's statehood did not void the Crow Tribe's right to hunt on "unoccupied lands of the United States" under an 1868 treaty, and that the Bighorn National Forest did not automatically become "occupied" when the forest was created.[1][2]

KJK

Posts: 679 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Indians...they want it all and they want it now
Been around them for decades, they are racist and greedy
No explanation, except they have no concept of responsibility...

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Indians...they want it all and they want it now
Been around them for decades, they are racist and greedy
No explanation, except they have no concept of responsibility...

They also only want the parts of the treaty enforced that benefits them not the or provisions that limit them.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote