New
Find
Notify
Tools

180 Grain Sierra Pro Hunter Bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone used this bullet on game? Below is a copy of my post in the Share your Loads forum.
----------------------------------------------
180 grain Sierra Pro Hunter, Win Case, CCI 250, 70 grains of IMR 4350.

In a snug chambered 300 Win Mag, 26 inch No. 3 Pac Nor barrel, M700, McMillan stock, pillar bedded. 3x9 Zeiss Conquest. Talley mounts with 8-40 screws. Action trued, lugs lapped.

Bullets seated 0.010" off the lands. The reamer is ground correctly for proper seating of the bullet in the case.

0.240" group at 100 yards today at the range. New barrel: Fired two shots to sight in the scope, then switched paper and shot the 0.240" group.

The rifle will shoot a smaller group with someone better than I holding the gun,as I was looking through vari-lux glasses lenses, and watching the crosshairs jiggle on the target.

Anyone used this bullet on game? First time I used the Pro Hunter for test firing, I am interested in how it performs on game.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeh,I got a great grouping out of them ,too.The largest 3-shot group was 7/8" at 100meters.This was from my P-17 sporter rechambered and trued by Bill Leeper to 308Norma with it's original barrel.A better trigger man would likely shrink the groups.My load of 74.0grs of N-560 fired by CCI250 went 3050f/s.Norma 300WinMag resized and trimmed to 308Norma.Hope to find out this fall how it works on moose.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JR,

I have not used the .30 180gr Pro Hunter, however they are my favorite 130gr in the .270. Have had very good results on deer from 20 to 280yds.

Regards
cjw3

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a small buck in the ribs with that bullet at 50 ft. It was out of a 24" barreled P-17 with a hot load going about 2750 fps. The bullet made an exit hole big enough that you could stick your fist thru the hide afterwards. That damm deer got up however, not knowing it was dead, and ran 50 yards more and fell again.

This happens with such .30 cals once in a while. It's a very good bullet.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Johns Target and the bullets:

-

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John;
Excellent job! It doesn't get much better than that! I've not used the ProHunter in Sierra but use the 180 GameKing, the boatail version, I used to take a Moose. After completly obliterating a six inch section of spine the bullet traveled another thirty inches to lodge in the ribs! That Moose was dead before his body made contact with the ground! Yes you might say the Sierra bullets work very well.
I'm sure the "premium" bullet boys will be chiming in here anytime saying there bullet is better. Don't be taken in.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 30cal 180 prohunter for all my hunting. From Oryx. elk, zebra etc. Anyhting that walks in these parts anyway..

Lee

Posts: 188 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 31 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This may, or may nt be relevaent, but about 15 years ago I got a superb deal on the 180 gr. Sierras and bought about 10 boxes. Now, maybe current Pro-Hunters are a bit tougher than the ones I bought, butm they always worked very well in my 30-06. very accurate and not too destructive of meat. However, I feel they just may be a bit too soft for use in a 300 magnum. I use them in the magnum to work up loads and switch to Nosler PT's for the serious work. basically though, part of the problem is I like to get as close as I can before shooting, and they may work just fine way out yonder.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think if it was 15 years ago this was not a Pro Hunter bullet. Sierra bullets in the past had a so-so reputation on game, thus the introduction of the Pro Hunter.

We used 250 grain 338 Sierra Boat Tails in the past (1970's and early 1980's) for Elk and had some poor performance issues. These were not Pro Hunter bullets.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Sierra bullets, with the Matchking being just about the greatest bullet of all time, for me and all my guns..
Im going to try the Prohunter in 180gr. for mulies this year...heck, maybe stay with the ol' MK...unbeatable performance!!!....sakofan... [Wink]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
A few years ago I shot a 5x6 Roosevelt with a 180 gameking out of my 300 win. It was an angling away shot at a little over 150 yards. I had complete pentitration in the lungs-heart-lung and out the off shoulder. Distruction with out alot of meat damage. The Pro hunter is suppossed to be a more stout bullet than the Game King. I've taken a number of blacktail at some pretty good distances with the 165 Gamekings and HP Gameking in the 300 Win. Sierra bullets out right shoot. I haven't found them to be the handgrenade or pencil through bullets that some people claim they are. They shoot great, are cheap to reload and I have had nothing but solid on game preformance.