Find
Notify
Tools

Two amazing things...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
...how good venison steaks can taste even when they are three years old if properly wrapped

and what you find when trimming the sinew that you looked for 3 years ago

174.4 grains Barnes 180 TSX expanded to .575 from a 308 win muzzle velocity 2615 impact distance 154 yards. Steep quartering to angle, bullet found in steaks of left rear leg. Bullet entered inside of right shoulder approximately 4 ft of penetration in 120 lb blacktail doe.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
You hunting the shoulder of I680 again? Big Grin

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Only if I can find that big 4x4 again...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Haha! Mike, the venison looks perfect, as well as the TSX!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Ahhh...that plate appears absolutely delectable...

It's obvious Mike knows a thing or two about presentation, not to mention taking a very nice photo.

As to the bullet, that's about as good of performance as one could ever hope for.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Guys the photo is not mine...the steaks looked just like it and I did use a tequila lime marinade...but I can't take credit for the photo...

I will take credit for the shot though...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed you haven't eaten a 120 pound deer in three years! We eat 3-5 deer per year.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
BJA,

I am a bachelor. I usually shoot a couple wild boars and a deer every year and a cow elk here or there.

Even though I give a lot away, I still can't get through it all. Plus, I traveled a lot in 2009 so I wasn't home very much. When I say a lot I mean 40 weeks a year on the road.

If anybody in the SF Bay Area needs some venison or wild boar drop me a note.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a plate of deer in Southern Missouri look like that.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ted,

Here is the recipe. Oil the grill get it hot. Cook 1/2 on one side then lift and turn the steak 90 deg to get the sear marks in the other direction and finishing cooking that side. Do the same when you flip it to get the nice criss cross pattern on each side.

2 lbs deer venison steaks
3/4 cup tequila
3/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp minced garlic
Bottled hot sauce (Tabasco, etc.)
Kosher salt
Black pepper

Lay the deer venison on some paper towel or a lint-free cloth. Pat the meat dry and set it aside.

In a glass mixing bowl, whisk the tequila, lime juice and orange juice together. Add the minced garlic and a few splashes of the hot sauce, and whisk again. Finally, add some of the Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper and give it all a good final whisking.

Pour some of the marinade into a flat container having a lid. Lay the deer venison in the marinade, then pour the rest of the marinade over the meat. Close the lid and refrigerate.

For stronger marinade flavor, marinade for at least three hours before grilling. For lighter marinade flavor, marinade for 30 minutes before grilling.

RECIPE APPENDED FOR TED:

1.5 OZ OF JOSE CUERVO RESERVA DE LA FAMILIA IN A SHOT GLASS.

8 OZ OF ICE WATER.

SIP BEST TEQUILA AND ICE WATER WHILE GRILLING STEAKS

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Ted,

Here is the recipe. Oil the grill get it hot. Cook 1/2 on one side then lift and turn the steak 90 deg to get the sear marks in the other direction and finishing cooking that side. Do the same when you flip it to get the nice criss cross pattern on each side.

2 lbs deer venison steaks
3/4 cup tequila
3/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp minced garlic
Bottled hot sauce (Tabasco, etc.)
Kosher salt
Black pepper

Lay the deer venison on some paper towel or a lint-free cloth. Pat the meat dry and set it aside.

In a glass mixing bowl, whisk the tequila, lime juice and orange juice together. Add the minced garlic and a few splashes of the hot sauce, and whisk again. Finally, add some of the Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper and give it all a good final whisking.

Pour some of the marinade into a flat container having a lid. Lay the deer venison in the marinade, then pour the rest of the marinade over the meat. Close the lid and refrigerate.

For stronger marinade flavor, marinade for at least three hours before grilling. For lighter marinade flavor, marinade for 30 minutes before grilling.

I was fired up!!!! Then I read that the tequila isn't for sipping during the grillin!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Recipe has been modified for Ted, see above.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Wink Thanks Mike...that is a cool bullet

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great marinade Mike and since I'm getting a little tired of mine, I'll try it this week. But one question- How did you shoot a doe? Did you have a depredation permit or what?
BTW when I marinade I just put the venison and marinade in a heavy plastic bag and squeeze the air out and put in the fridge.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MEAT it whats for dinner!!
gotta go down to verizen and have my phone checked.
i missed your call,letting me know what
time to show up Big Grin

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks for the recipe. More important, thanks for the laughter every time I read what you've learned on AR.

Headed to the kitchen,

Lee

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,

Outfitters who operate under the Private Land Management (PLM) program can file for doe hunts with DFG as part of their management program.

I have taken two does on Catalina Island and two does with Arrow 5 Outfitters up in Trinity County.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Too bad they won't let us all do that. It would help the general deer population to cull out a lot of does.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Believe it or not, its the counties that prevent it. There are some interesting provisions in the State government code that give the counties authority over what hunting actually occurs. The reason there is no doe season in CA is because no county board of supervisors will approve it.

State DFG has given up ever requesting a county to approve one. I believe this is the same issue that prohibited or still prohibits bear hunting in SLO county.

Apparently since PLMs are unique to the property it falls outside of the county's authority.

Mike

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Believe it or not, its the counties that prevent it. There are some interesting provisions in the State government code that give the counties authority over what hunting actually occurs. The reason there is no doe season in CA is because no county board of supervisors will approve it.

State DFG has given up ever requesting a county to approve one. I believe this is the same issue that prohibited or still prohibits bear hunting in SLO county.

Apparently since PLMs are unique to the property it falls outside of the county'ss authority.

The new supervisors of Siskiyou County are changing that. We will see what happens tu2

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Please keep me in the loop on that. I would love to go on a doe hunt up there.

Mike

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Gotcha covered.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, I thought you were going to say big boobs and Harley-Davidsons.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Cmon Rich, get your mind out of the gutter!
I tried the marinade last night, very tasty! Thanks Mike.
Although Rich, now that I think about it, Tequila and lime juice goes pretty well with big boobs and Harleys Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks for the marinade! Tried it out today had to sub minced galic for garlic salt. However the steak turned out awesome! My wife and kid loved it as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBoutfishn:

The new supervisors of Siskiyou County are changing that. We will see what happens tu2

I'd like to know a little more about that too, used to live up there and can think of a couple of places to go...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14434 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Cool photos!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
The TSXs shoot great in my .308, too.

Venison never gets that old around our home. We usually eat two or three deer per year. My wife has become an excellent venison cook (and me as well, if I do say so myself). Venison stew and chili are two of my favorite dishes, but my wife cooks a wonderful venison roast trimmed with potatoes, carrots, and celery, cooked slowly in a clay pot that has been soaked in water. stir Wink

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote