New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks for your Help! Black bear....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wanted to say thanks for everybody's help for answering all my bear hunting questions for the opast year and a half. I hunted with Jim Shockey's outfit on Vancouver Island fo a spot and stalk Black bear and had a Great Hunt. Wont get official scores till he gets to the taxidermists where he is gonna turn it into a full body mount.
Hunt was FIRST CLASS all the way around, and is HIGHLY recomended.
2 things I learned was, I am very glad I had my .300 win mag and I am very glad for a second shot. 30 yards is close.
Thanks again,
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a good looking bear--Congrats! How much did he weigh?

What about some more details on the hunt? Spotting and stalking and having a 30 yard shot has to have a story!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
great bear! what is shockey charging these days? please post pics in about a year or more when you get full body mount back!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
What was the bear population like there? How many bears did you see in a day and on your hunt?

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great bear. What did he square? And why'd you end up so close for that second shot? There has to be a story there.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,
No special stories. As many of you know, Shockey's crew likes to get close to the bears.
We stalked our way up to the bear on an old logging road for about 200 yards, got to 30 yards where we could finally see him clearly, but he had to come out on the road. After about a 5 minute wait on the shooting sticks, He finally came out and turned broadside. I put the first shot right behind the shoulder, It hit him good but he started running, so I kept shooting, and on my second shot it put him down. Thats when the real fun started. As he fell he went off an old Logging coulvert that was running full strenght from all the rain. Had to pull him up with the truck, and he was plenty clean when we got him out.
Awesome fur, huge claws. The only score I have now is an 18 1/2 Skull.
Thanks again,
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote