THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    need help with multi-purpose wet weather gear

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help with multi-purpose wet weather gear
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
I'm about 25 years behind times. Haven't done any cold-weather North American hunting since my first trip to Africa (1996) My front line cold weather stuff is (American made) Filson wool pants and the like.

This spring I went turkey hunting (here in Michigan) and one day found myself woefully lacking in wet weather gear. A partner loaned me some Cabelas MT 050 'Rain Equipment' (the un-insulated) pants and jacket that I found quite nice. I find it in the Cabelas catalog for $189 (jacket) and $199 (pants).

Before I commit to that cost level, I thought I best ask the A-R crew. Here's what I am seeking (and I realize EVERYTHING is a compromise).

MUST be quiet: I hate stuff that squeaks with movement.

Not clammy: I sweat when sitting still, stuff must breathe.

Camo: for multi use situations

Layering: I want to be able to use this stuff on the outside in 70 degrees F, or 0 degrees F, with layering underneath. Perhaps even use this stuff for (wet) Ontario fishing.

Is there such an outerwear?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the MT-050 in both uninsulated and insulated versions. I like it very much. I think the challenge with the desired specs you listed is having uninsulated that would be comfortable at 70 degrees. I know my uninsulated alone would be too warm for me, with nothing else on, it would be great for the 'keep you dry' aspect, but pretty hot.

You should have some good insight on how it suits you for your other desires, it is very good in my opinion. One thing about it--it doesn't like barbed wire at all. It will cut slash rip it easily, and you have to send it to a special repair center--experience speaking here--having said that, it repaired excellently, and except for a little cosmetic flair, it is as good as new.

Good luck on your choice, there is a lot of wonderful gear out ther nowadays, I really like all of the features of my MT-050

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nomrcy
posted Hide Post
Check out the Sitka Gear layering system before purchasing anything. This is far and away the best clothing I have ever used. It's expensive, but worth the price in my eyes!

Sitka Gear

Trophies are not dead animals...they are living memories.

Posts: 217 | Location: Fargo, North Dakota | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schnee's in Bozeman, MT sells Sitka Gear. I bought a Sitka Mountain Shirt from them. Good stuff.

Don