New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 75 kicks hard?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Sako 75's in .375H&H .416Rem and .30-06.

For a short period my Dad had a CZ in .375H&H, but other than that, the 75 is the only .375H&H I have owned, three of them in that caliber to be exact.

Now, a friend recently came out to shoot with me, bringing his own CZ .375H&H which I got the chance to shoot on paper.

This rifle kicked moticeably less than mine. Granted he was shooting 270gn factory loads and mine was shooting 300gn stuff but I wouldn't think 30gn could make so much difference.

He mentioned that the earlier Sakos have a bad rep as being hard kickers.

Does anybody else find this to be true?

Till now just thought my rifle was quite normal, I've had it for 10 years and never had any troubles, just joy, lots of joy from her.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<JohnT>
posted
Express how much did the CZ weigh. That could be the diff in felt recoil. Also my own Sako L691 in .375 H&H has quite a light barrel & those awfully hard red Sako recoil pads. Changed to a HS stock with a softer & thicker recoil pad, plus 1/2 pound more weight & it was a lot nicer to shoot.

I think the 75 is heavier than the L691 already so maybe a change of recoil pad is all you need. Also if you chronograph 270gn factory failsafe loads you will find that they only do 2550 rather that the 2700 that is advertised so they are downloaded. That could also account for the difference in recoil.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know exactly what the CZ weighed, but it felt lighter than mine. I also have a bigger scope and mounts on mine.

The pad has also been changed, but since the stock is still a little short for me I might up in some spacing and/or a thicker and softer pad.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Express,

I have a L591 in .308 and have noticed my friends CZ in .30-06 is noticibly more comfortable to shoot. I have not weighed the rifles, but mine seems a touch heiver if anything. His came with a factory fitted ventilated recoil pad of some sort and it really seems to work well...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
I have shot a Sako 75 in 9.3x62, maximun loaded with 280 grains bullets, which kicked suprisingly little, and that was still the short "Battue" model.

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marterius.

I have fired the new stainless synthetic Sako 75 and found it the most comfortable .375 HH platform around (bar one!) It left me only able to compare it to the recoil of a '06!! Amazing.

EXPRESS - Roughly how old is the model you own?

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My walnut-stocked Sako 75 (300 Winchester Magnum) weighs about 1 lb more than my Howa 1500 (30-06), and the only difference I can feel is due to the hard Sako recoil pad. The Howa has a Bell & Carlson composite stock and a Pachmayr Deccelerator pad.

The Sako 75's stock design fits me as if it had been made just for me.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Express It is like the difference in Mosberg 500 and Remington 870.

Either perceived or actual but the 500 seems to have less recoil.

Apparently very subtle differences in angle and rop have substantial differeces in perceived recoil. I have an 06 that "kikck a lot more" than my 338. Likely, no, not really but that is my perception shooting them.

LouisB

Opinions and suppositions supported 100% by opinions and suppositions!

Posts: 4243 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it has more to do with stock design in this case (rifles of roughly equal weight) and the physical attributes of the shooter. I find Sako stocks beat the bejesus out of me in larger calibers. Now I am a rather beefy fellow (OK, fat) but not that big. I have the same problem with Winchester Monte Carlo stocks (but not Remington MC's, go figure), it's like getting rabbit punched in the cheekbone every time I touch one off (even in 270). - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, I sent that PM to you.
Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Dan!
It has to do with the "lines" of the firearms design!
There used to be an old saying "There hasn't been a Sako made that doesn't Kick bad, even a 22LR hurts"!
Personally, I've never fired a Sako!
But, I do think it has to do with it's design!
Maybe a custom stock would help.
Happy Shootin'

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Sakos have a poorly designed stock, they always have had...the old Sakos were very slick nice guns but the stock was always a disaster IMO....

There is a considerable difference in felt recoill between 270 gr. and 300 gr. according to the mail I get from clients and possible clients and folks just wanting to talk about guns and hunting...Neither bothers me but I can tell the difference.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I HAD a 75 in 30-06. No joke, it's recoil was similar to my custom 338 Lapua Imp.

Posts: 83 | Location: Ut | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote