New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking rifles to Canada
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am traveling to Alberta in late September of this year. My outfitter is presently out in the field and his wife does not know exactly what I need to do to bring my rifle with me.

I downloaded a "Canadian Non-resident Firearms Declaration" off of the internet.

I am wondering if there is anything else that I will need to bring the rifle into Canada?

Who do I give this form to?

When do I sign this form?

Can I use a copy of this form to prove to US Customs when reentering the US that I originally did bring the rifle into Canada from the US?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 276 | Location: hendersonville, nc 28739 | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,
Don't worry about it at all. I was in New Bruns. this June. Just fill it out& sign it and give it to the Canadian customs agent. They will help you out. Just be sure it's unloaded and no ammo with rifle. US customs was helpful also. Wolf

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I crossed over on the way to Fairbanks, I filled out a US customs form, and when I went to the Canadian Side, they did a form, and checked the guns. I paid the $50.00 CND and that was it. Its good for a year. It was not much of a deal. I think that its foolish to begin with, but its their laws and if you want to go there to hunt or just past thru from the lower 48 to Alaska with rifles or shotguns, you just fill out the forms and pay the fee.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Ron,

Just did all this on a BC bear hunt in may.

To make both procedures painless, fill out the Canadian form but don't sign it and have it ready for customs when you arrive. They will collect $50 CND.

You should also get a #4457 form from US Customs before you leave, which will make getting them back into the US easier, too. BUT...you need to fill it out and have customs here inspect the gun(s) so they can stamp it prior to your departure. If possible, this is best done at an international airport or customs office near you. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
PS

While it's not law, you should trigger lock your rifle, and lock it into a case,and lock up your ammo in another box.

It is NOT law, and I don't do it, but it can make customs agents think you re really safe and they like their asses kissed...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I challenge anyone to show a case where an American hunter took his "moose" hunting rifle to Canada and robbed a liquor store!!!

This is nothing more than another tax on Americans by the Canadians. If you want to hunt in Canada pay the $50 CD.....it's not the paperwork....they'll make sure that the paperwork is done...it's all about the money!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vapodog:
...it's all about the money!!!

No it is just a bunch of idiot liberals pretending that they can do something about the crime rate.

Well it worked. Since the introdution of the latest federal gun laws here in Canad our crime rate has actually grown to the point that today it is higher than the US crime rate.

As for the money, well they are not raking it in hand over fist and in fact the whole fiasco is a billion dollars in the red!

[ 09-06-2003, 19:18: Message edited by: Cariboo ]

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I crossed to Manitoba a year ago I got a general hassle from the cunucks, please come to the waiting room, please sit down, what is the purpose of your visit?, Lac da Bounty? There are no deer there! Are you sure you are deer hunting? What kind of work do you do? In what state? Who is your outfitter? Ok here is your license back have a nice trip. Plus they took all the info on my bolt action and entered it in a computer. I asked is it now registerd in Canada? Then he said I am not sure. I will not return! [Confused]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, poor children. It`s a far bit harder for me to take a gun with me through U.S. Customs. Heck I even must purchase my hunting license and submit it with my paper work to the ATF at least 3-6 weeks before my trip. Laugh if you want but last time I checked all those 9mm and .40 cal. killing people in the cities didn`t come from England. If you think it`s a pain trying to enter try living here. You have less rules bringing a gun in then I have to deal with as a resident.Kudo, they probably read this board and were affraid that you were sneaking in trying to off a few wolves before we could unleash them on unsuspecting american elk [Wink] .

[ 09-06-2003, 20:58: Message edited by: Turman ]

Posts: 52 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"This is nothing more than another tax on Americans by the Canadians. If you want to hunt in Canada pay the $50 CD.....it's not the paperwork....they'll make sure that the paperwork is done...it's all about the money!!!"

Relax, it's not only about Americans, Europeans get to pay the 50 bucks too, or Aussies or Africans or Mongolians. And as pointed out, the route the other way around is much more difficult.

The regs state that you shouldn't sign the forms at home, but do this in front of the officer!

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One good thing to check is if you or your friends have a DWI on their record. It's a felony in Canada and you will have a heck of a time getting in or mabey not at all. A fellow with us last year had one we didn't know about and I thought it was going to halt our trip but eventually, after paying for a visitors permit, filling out a bunch of papers and two hours of lecture "Why should I let you in my country" he and we were allowed to pass but he had to get the sheriff back home send some documentation to this supervisor at the border. It's usually not a hassel at all. Just follow their rules and be polite ater all you are a guest in their country ! Also might mention Do NOT sign the form jus 909 except infront of the customs agent. The real people in Canada don't like the law any better than visitors. But, just like here you must obey it. I personally have made many good frends in Canada and the folks in general are wonderful people.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Kudu, shouldn't that read "Lac Du Bonnet"? I just ask because I have relatives there. Lot's of deer (and moose, wolves and bears) the last time I was there (last year). You just have to remember that border officials (at least some of them) like to give people a tough time. I can tell you half a dozen horror stories about border crossings, both going north and south. Try to remember, it's not because they're Canadian, it's because they're beaureaucrats. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and as an aside, we have to pay as well going the other way, and they want the forms and serial numbers etc. You really think they just tear up that info? Yes, it is a backdoor registration scheme and a money grab, gosh isn't that just like a government. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was lots of game up there and I had a great time with some great people. The candian guy the border was just trying to trip me up!

And as for Turman come get your wolves they have done what they were intended to do! Maybe we could sue Canada for selling us dangerous wolves! Yeah unregisterd wolves! [Big Grin]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudu,

quote:
There was lots of game up there and I had a great time with some great people. The candian guy the border was just trying to trip me up!

And as for Turman come get your wolves they have done what they were intended to do! Maybe we could sue Canada for selling us dangerous wolves! Yeah unregisterd wolves!

Them customs guys were probably just bored that day, they was just messin' with ya'. You don't like our 'dangerous' wolves? [Big Grin] They make good watchdogs. We don't register them either. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
kudu, You want more wolves you say???

Well I have good news for you we have a sale on right now. With ever 6 wolves taken we will throw in 2 cougar and a black bear! LoL [Wink]

Take 100 wolves and we will include a bonus California Bighorn Ram.

And no we don't want the original shipment back as we have a no-return policy in place!

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
what's the big deal--just comply with the country u r entering and everything will b ok. don't try to buck the system.

Posts: 510 | Location: pa | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
It's a money making scheme, no more, no less. The federal government gets $50 Canadian per year per weapon. It's not so bad, though. The going rate in Tanzania is $120 per rifle per trip.

But the Canadian government has another scam going that's far worse. On my last trip (last November to Edmonton, AB) the immigration folks apparently selected about 20-25% of all arriving hunters (my plane was full of them) for further background checks. They herded these folks (of which I was one) into a room and did background checks. When anything came up--let's say an old conviction for a US misdemeanor that happens to be a felony in Canada (such as DUI)-- then came the next shake down. As I found out, even if you have a common name, as I do, you had better be ready for problems.

I was held for 2 and 1/2 hours because four guys with my name came up on their computer as having criminal records of some kind or other--all of them had different social security numbers than mine, but I had to wait while at least 15-20 other guys were put through the ringer first, before I could clear things up at the counter.

Also, after 2 and 1/2 hours of waiting (with my outfitter and two other hunters waiting outside in the truck to pick me up), and after being completely exonerated, I didn't get so much as an apology.

Before I was finally seen and released, I had a front row seat at the circus. I saw one guy after another being grilled at the counter. As far as I could tell, maybe a half dozen of them ended up having some minor blemish on their record, and the rest were seen and released (one of the guys they had detained was a cop!).

And not one of the half dozen "guilty parties" was turned back. But it was explained to them that if they wanted to continue on into Canada, they would have to pay $200 Canadian for a temporary resident's permit (I think that's what it was called.) This permit would conveniently allow them to stay in Canada until the date of their return flight.

All of these guys had booked hunting trips and had paid big money for them, so the customs people knew that they would pay up rather than say screw it and go back home.

As someone else said, it's not a Canadian thing--it's a bureaucracy running rampant. We have that here in the US, too. Especially in my state.

But I was disappointed anyway. It was the first time in many, many visits to Canada that I felt like an alien, a foreigner--I know, I know, Canada is a foreign country, but it never felt that way to me before my last trip.

Just another example of live, suffer and learn, I guess.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ron L

you have it pretty much correct. The form is all you need remember if you downloaded it that it is legal size, if you printed it on 81/2 X11 you might have cut off the bottom part & make 3 copies which you will sign at the border.

The cost is (or was last year) 50$ For the permit regardless of how many rifles you are bringing into the country. It is good for a tear and you can add rifles if you travel to Canada again in ther future.

The only other thing I would bring in is a good bottle of aged kentucky Bourbon.... and/or a good Californian Syrah

[ 09-07-2003, 16:42: Message edited by: rockhead ]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I had far less hassle taking two guns to South Africa and at $0.00 cost as compared to a caribou hunt in Canada the previous year.....I still say it's all about the money because I find no other justification whatever.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are SO insane over guns up in Canada. I wish they were half as aggressive over drugs and drug money from Canada entering the States.

A few years ago a few Officers from Montana travelled up to Calgary , at the invitation of the RCMP and the Calgary Police, to present some firearms training. They drove up in uniform in a Highway Patrol marked unit. At the border they would NOT allow them to bring in their sidearms and denied them entry.

They ended up leaving their sidearms and travelling up. They did allow them to carry their 12 ga shotguns......... Total insanity.

I was going to hunt whitetails in AB last year but cancelled due to the $50 fee. Sorry. I will not play that game.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I travelled to Canada(Calgary, Alberta via Toronto) last Feb and found the Canucs were just fine with my rifle.

I paid my 50 bucks, had a chatted with the guys in customs about their hockey game as they checked my serial number matched the one on the form and that was it.

I'll be going back soon and have no fear of encountering troubles.

[ 09-08-2003, 01:46: Message edited by: EXPRESS ]

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage and Caiboo, what no warranty on the wolves! MAN! I was hoping maybe a 5 year 50,000 elk warranty and we could return them! [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudu,

quote:
Savage and Caiboo, what no warranty on the wolves! MAN! I was hoping maybe a 5 year 50,000 elk warranty and we could return them!
Oh, you wanted the NEW wolf department. I'm afraid yours is from the 'as is, where is' department. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck anyone complaining about Canada has never been put through the wringer by US Immigration [Wink] now those guys have no sense of humour.

Posts: 52 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan and Kudu; I used to have a recreational lot at Lee River Falls just past Lac Du Bonnet and a friend of mines wife has relatives there as well. What a small world! Yo Randy,you all saying if I was to offer to take you out gold and critter hunting you wouldn't come? Huh pal! [Big Grin] derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess those that think its a tax grab don't realize it takes $50 CDN for the gov't to break even on processing an application.
Esp a legal document like this one.

Last year it would have been $32 this year its $36 USD Is 36 measly dollars when your spending thousands something to worry about?
Go figure?
I guess US citizens can't figure out that we are not worried about crimes being committed by hunters, but the illegal importation of firearms of which there is a huge problem. In fact a whole black market industry which existed before our gun registry and exists 'even worse' after.

Like said before just try and get any firearm into the states from Canada and watch the fur fly!

[ 09-08-2003, 18:49: Message edited by: Desy ]

Posts: 140 | Location: Saskatoon | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For all you US guys who moan about the Canadian system, I can fully appreciate that. It is indeed a hassle, the people at customs are not always exactly friendly or even helpful, and the CDN$50 is obviously a rip-off!

BUT.... the Canadian system is about a zillion times better than the US system for foreign travellers with firearms. Please don't forget that!

In Canada there is no requirement to submit an application 2 months (or was it 6 weeks?) in advance. There is no requirement to hold a valid Canadian hunting license. The permit you obtain for your 50$ (plus some hassle and waiting time) is valid for a year, and can be extended or more firearms put on it. In a word - it is a BUNCH better than what the US ATF clowns have managed to put together after Sep-11.

Just one example: so you manage to get a US hunting license, and you manage to get your application into ATF 6-8 weeks in advance, when your hunting license expires, e.g. because the season ends, you have to be out of the country on that same day - because that is as long as your license is good for. Want to visit Aunt Emmy in San Francisco on the way home from your hunting trip? Forget it, out! Need time to get back from your hunting trip in the boondocks after the season ended? Sorry, you should have been out on the day your license expired.

Or, if as a foreigner you'd like to go hunting in Sonora Mexico. And the most convenient way to do this is to fly via Tucson AZ. Forget it if you are travelling with a firearm. A license to transit the US with a firearm can not be obtained by foreigners.

So, friends from the US, do complain about the Canadian system, but please don't forget the wonderful system the US has in place! Btw, want to come to Switzerland with your rifle, because a friend invited you to do a bit of hunting?? Just bring a letter of invitation stating where you are going hunting, report your rifle at customs, most likely they'll be interested in knowing what caliber it is and do the standard serial number check, but that is probably as far as it goes. You can freely enter with Old Betsy. Unfortunately, not all countries in Europe are as relaxed about this as the Swiss [Frown]

- mike

[ 09-08-2003, 20:25: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote