New
Find
Notify
Tools

WY antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Drew area 46, and signed up for Simpson's Ridge HMA.
Question is, am I better off getting there for the opening day, Tuesday, 9/25, or waiting a few weeks, and letting the rush die down? Or will things be relatively quiet until the first weekend? Of course, the area biologist AND game warden are both on vacation, so no luck there. Want to get my dates set, and get moving.

Is it very difficult to secure permission on other private properties in the area? I don't mind paying a reasonable access fee, if it will help keep me away from the crowds.

Also, are all the processors swamped the first few days? I'll be flying in and out so that would make things easier, but I have done a few hogs myself when flying. Heck, did a DIY moose hunt, but I drove. STILL sore form that one!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I'd truly appreciate any tips or advice ,esp. local advice, that I could get.

Thanks, Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If opening day is during the week, pressure is less. If it is a weekend, it can get real disgusting and hectic. So if opening day is middle of the week, you might go for it. If it is a weekend, wait even a week, and some times you have the area all to your self.

As for prossessing, you will and can get any ones antelope. No guarantee it will be yours, they rotate them. If anyone says any different they are full of shi#! It happens here with deer and elk and antelope. You might be better off boning it, freezing it, and taking it home.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaveP, I have hunted Antelope in WY. since 1974. And it is on public land, we go the last week of the season, and there is no one there. Dave have a good time.

6.5 SWEDE.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave

I have to agree with swede, the last three to four week of the hunt you'll be out there by youself. I alawys wait until the second weekend has past before I go hunting. Good hunting.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.
STILL haven't decided, but need to in the next few days.
Anyoe else?

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, hunted the last day of season last year. Saw zero hunters, ended up killing a 15 3/4" buck on public land (in a mostly private land area).

I would say let the crowds come and go...then have the place to yourself.

MG